Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 38,163 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CWM: Can only see backups in Recovery?

Tip us?

Navani
Old
(Last edited by Navani; 5th July 2014 at 03:54 PM.) Reason: Added pictures
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default CWM: Can only see backups in Recovery?

This may or may not be my first post but I've been on this forum for years now - I hope this attests to my searching ability and tells you that I am not someone who is lazy and didn't look up answers (Skip the next paragraph if you don't want to read the steps leading up to my issue).

I have a Galaxy S3 from Sprint. I'm running the newest Cyanogenmod on it (running 4.4.3) and I hate how large everything looks. Couldn't find a solution, so I decided to try and restore my old backup. The MD5 check failed, and the only backup I have that works is from May, or three backups ago. I read that I can force it to load by accessing the hash file and deleting the contents but I can't find my backups.

I've searched online several times and the only backup I can find on any Explorer (ES File Explorer, Astro Manager, File Manager) is the one from May which is on my ExtSD. It doesn't show up on my computer either when connected by USB. Booting into Recovery shows me the backups. I'm searching with hidden and protected files viewable/editable. I would've sworn to you before typing this that the other folders which showed up alongside the clockworkmod one were 0/ and [something else] but when I went to check again before posting this I saw that CWM says they're in the sdcard/clockworkmod/backup folder. I've attached screenshots to show you what I see.

Any help is greatly appreciated and my apologies if this has been discussed, but I've looked in every folder suggested and did a phone-wide search - nothing!

UPDATE: Okay so when I select "Choose ZIP" it brings me to /sdcard/ which has 0/ clockworkmod/ legacy/ and obb/ .... The clockworkmod folder has all of my backups but I can't access it while booted or from my computer via mount USB storage (which makes sense because it's not on my external). I read that I might be able to pull the files using ADB but I haven't used that in years and would rather see if there's a different solution.

(also, my girlfriend thinks I have a nice phone!!!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backup1.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	2834158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-05-10-20-23[1].png
Views:	40
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2834159  

joeyhdownsouth
Old
(Last edited by joeyhdownsouth; 7th July 2014 at 01:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navani View Post
This may or may not be my first post but I've been on this forum for years now - I hope this attests to my searching ability and tells you that I am not someone who is lazy and didn't look up answers (Skip the next paragraph if you don't want to read the steps leading up to my issue).

I have a Galaxy S3 from Sprint. I'm running the newest Cyanogenmod on it (running 4.4.3) and I hate how large everything looks. Couldn't find a solution, so I decided to try and restore my old backup. The MD5 check failed, and the only backup I have that works is from May, or three backups ago. I read that I can force it to load by accessing the hash file and deleting the contents but I can't find my backups.

I've searched online several times and the only backup I can find on any Explorer (ES File Explorer, Astro Manager, File Manager) is the one from May which is on my ExtSD. It doesn't show up on my computer either when connected by USB. Booting into Recovery shows me the backups. I'm searching with hidden and protected files viewable/editable. I would've sworn to you before typing this that the other folders which showed up alongside the clockworkmod one were 0/ and [something else] but when I went to check again before posting this I saw that CWM says they're in the sdcard/clockworkmod/backup folder. I've attached screenshots to show you what I see.

Any help is greatly appreciated and my apologies if this has been discussed, but I've looked in every folder suggested and did a phone-wide search - nothing!

UPDATE: Okay so when I select "Choose ZIP" it brings me to /sdcard/ which has 0/ clockworkmod/ legacy/ and obb/ .... The clockworkmod folder has all of my backups but I can't access it while booted or from my computer via mount USB storage (which makes sense because it's not on my external). I read that I might be able to pull the files using ADB but I haven't used that in years and would rather see if there's a different solution.

(also, my girlfriend thinks I have a nice phone!!!!)
1st off, I assume your running regular ClockworkMod recovery. MD5 mismatch is a common problem. To fix this you must use root explorer, go into the backup file, find the folder that says MD5, erase everything inside. Then your backup should work. I suggest you try Philz CWM advanced. This issue won't happen again once your on Philz recovery. I used to have this problem all the time. The more I look at the images you posted, looks like your backup is corrupt. Not enough storage taken for a backup.
G2(Sprint)-stock
G3(Sprint)-stock rooted
Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM:C-rom/KERNEL:dkp-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Galaxy S5(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:M.O.A.R.-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Moto G(unlocked to CellularOne)-ROM/KERNEL:LiquidSmooth-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
The Following User Says Thank You to joeyhdownsouth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Navani
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth View Post
1st off, I assume your running regular ClockworkMod recovery. MD5 mismatch is a common problem. To fix this you must use root explorer, go into the backup file, find the folder that says MD5, erase everything inside. Then your backup should work. I suggest you try Philz CWM advanced. This issue won't happen again once your on Philz recovery. I used to have this problem all the time. The more I look at the images you posted, looks like your backup is corrupt. Not enough storage taken for a backup.
MY APOLOGIES for being so late to respond - I got caught up with work and then forgot.

I SOLVED MY PROBLEM

Part of the problem was a corrupted backup. I followed this nice person's post to fix my recovery.

The main part was the hidden storage - My ES Explorer said it had root access but it apparently wasn't showing me everything. I ended up reinstalling a different version from an APK (not the market) and it worked. I was able to access my backups and delete them to clear up space. I'm not really sure what happened because my friend was using the same version of the program and was able to access it so I'm guessing it was an isolated incident. For the record, I reinstalled it from the Market a couple times and it didn't work.

Thank you everyone for your help, and I hope this thread can help people in the future!
The Following User Says Thank You to Navani For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joeyhdownsouth
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navani View Post
MY APOLOGIES for being so late to respond - I got caught up with work and then forgot.

I SOLVED MY PROBLEM

Part of the problem was a corrupted backup. I followed this nice person's post to fix my recovery.

The main part was the hidden storage - My ES Explorer said it had root access but it apparently wasn't showing me everything. I ended up reinstalling a different version from an APK (not the market) and it worked. I was able to access my backups and delete them to clear up space. I'm not really sure what happened because my friend was using the same version of the program and was able to access it so I'm guessing it was an isolated incident. For the record, I reinstalled it from the Market a couple times and it didn't work.

Thank you everyone for your help, and I hope this thread can help people in the future!
Glad you fixed it!

sent from my G3
G2(Sprint)-stock
G3(Sprint)-stock rooted
Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM:C-rom/KERNEL:dkp-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Galaxy S5(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:M.O.A.R.-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Moto G(unlocked to CellularOne)-ROM/KERNEL:LiquidSmooth-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
The Following User Says Thank You to joeyhdownsouth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]