XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(heads up) Moving apps to SD slows the boot time tremendously

Tip us?

Robalboa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 287
Default (heads up) Moving apps to SD slows the boot time tremendously

Just wanted to let everyone know. If you move apps to SD card the boot time almost triples. (full boot)
I have a class 10 card too. When I moved them back to device phone booted fast again. Also it seemed to lag up the phone too on occasion

Nd8 deodexed Rooted and modded

6th_Hokage
Old
(Last edited by 6th_Hokage; 31st July 2014 at 07:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robalboa View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know. If you move apps to SD card the boot time almost triples. (full boot)
I have a class 10 card too. When I moved them back to device phone booted fast again. Also it seemed to lag up the phone too on occasion

Nd8 deodexed Rooted and modded
how big are the apps you moved and how many of them did you move?

cause i just move the apps above 20mb total size so only games and Netflix
YouTube Channel

my work:

Custom Splash Screen Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile s3 Touchwiz Roms and some AOSP Roms

sorta my work :P Viper4Andriod S3 APP and Settings

and helping with Flappy Bird's Family

current phone:
Samsung Galaxy S3,Wicked X v7.2 ND8 with NDC Modem

Past phones: latest to oldest
Galaxy Infuse 4G
Galaxy S 4G 3rd time
myTouch 3G slide
Galaxy S 4G 2nd time
T-mobile myTouch
Galaxy S 4G
Sensation 4G
Moto Backflip

Robalboa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_Hokage View Post
how big are the apps you moved and how many of them did you move?

cause i just move the apps above 20mb total size so only games and Netflix
i had netflix and a couple big ones as soon as i moved the back the apps the phone worked and booted so much faster it was ridiculous

godofsalt
Old
(Last edited by godofsalt; 7th August 2014 at 03:13 PM.) Reason: to answer the Q
Thanks Meter 4
Default just my 2 cents on this....

I believe it is HOW and WHERE you you put the app. Plus how you utilize the SD card AND the APP !!! There are (IMO) only two ways to put any app on the SD card. One of which has been a part of Android since Froyo. (did not work on old Cupcake!).

1 Basic- (Basic part of android since Froyo,) "Aps2sd" . In short this puts the "APP" on the on the SD card ( files would be the "APK" part of the "APP" as well as the "DEX" ) on the SD card.THE rest of the files such as "LIB" and part of the "DATA" file and "Cache" are left in the system, from where it came from, such as user space!

2 Named "Link2SD", (best one is form Bulent Akpinar). THIS is an "APP" that you download. (leave this same app in the system, or user space) THIS IS THE BEST PART>>> this awesome "APP", takes ALL of this data, from an app ( the "APK", "Dex", "Lib", "DATA" and "Cache" and puts this in and on the 2nd partition of the SD card ) which would be formatted as "EXT4",or "EXT2" . Doing so brings the amount of data or info of the app and places it on the 2nd partition. Link2SD then would "Symlink" the APP from the system, to where it is placed on the second partition of the SD card.
(this WAS most important a few years back when a phone would have like 800mb of memory for the whole system, and user space. If you would used a good large card, it made you feel as if you had purchased a more costly phone. those days are ending)

Mentioned "..."UTILIZE" the SD card..." this is extremely important if you would use Link2sd. (Personally I use "RomsToolBoxPro") for a few things, Prior to starting Link2sd. (I format my cards from the PC before placing it in the phone) then us Romstoolbox or Pro to increase the speed (named "SD Booster" in the app) at which the phone utilizes the card. (the app does have a benchmark to see the results to the speed increase, (swipe to the right) this way maybe the fastest is not the best for you, you would actually see the benchmark to make adjustments
THEN, once that is done...(Applied @ boot) .. then start Link2SD... first off they will ask what the 2nd partition is formatted to... then, will ask for a "Reboot".. After that is over with, phone running for a few, then re-start Link2SD... AT THIS POINT, it will see the card, and you can move just about any and all "User" apps to the 2nd partition, (Woulod suggest to look at "Storage Info" (in Link2sd), prior to doing anything. you will see 5 different storage areas on a SGS3 (Internal, SD card (first partition that Android uses) SD Card 2nd Part., System and Cache)

After you move several apps, take a look back to the storage... it will look a lot better, (even better, by moving as many apps out from system to user, then to link2sd,)
PLUS, doing this seems a bit nuts, but you can and will see how much better the phone actually works. and you will have a ton of room not only on the phone, but the card as well .
I ALWAYS, recommend to also have another app, if anything would happen and that is "TitaniumBackUp" and of course the "PRO" edition. after it is set, you would always have a folder with all and any app that has ever been put on the phone. a few swipes, and a few minutes, and BAM, the app is back on the phone, could even have that, "LINKED" as well, if that was set up as well.

Might seem like a lot here, but I came from a much older phone that had a tiny memory for the user! And... you needed all of this, if you you were to upgrade the system, like a custom ROM from Gingerbread for an example...

SO.. to get to the actual point, an to reply.. IF this is all done right, your phone should, and will boot just fine. IF and do mean IF it is any longer... it is just a few seconds longer. Time, Seconds? does a few seconds, amount to much as to a "Full Boot"?? Certainly is my opinion, but..my phone does not take long to do a full boot. However, I am not one to do a lot of booting... only do that, when i am doing custom work on the rom or system, PLUS, when doing all that, I have hardly any apps on the phone, so i can cut down the booting times. Again though, after all the works has been done. Put thoughs one the phone, and the TB folder (all the data for ALL an any app), then put it all together, and your done... should not have to do but enjoy what you have made. maybe several months, before i might consider doing any work on system/rom ..

Hope all this can help someone. I know that it does IF you have a large amount of data, on the phone. (Good example is me wife...She has over 10GB of data just for the her apps (music, movies, and a game or three). with all that, she has little room for Titanium-backup as well as the other apps, that used the 1st Partition in Android.... And yes, I had to break down and purchase a 64GB card now...sure seems crazy, but this is just 1 example here...

Again, hope any an all can help someone out here in XDA land...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofsalt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]