Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,757 Members 47,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help fixing improperly configured root

Tip us?

TambourineMan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Need help fixing improperly configured root

Is there a simple way to fix a Root access is NOT correctly configured for SuperUser without having to reinstall and reconfigure all my apps?

I have an SPH-L710 with the following:

Android version 4.3
Baseband L710VPUCMK3
Kernal version 3.0.31-g1ac4b44a-dirty cnexus@node2--c6100.codefi.re #1 Sun N04 12:30:47 PST 2013
Build # JSS15J.L710VPUCMK3
Hardware version L710.14

I originally rooted using:

CMW_SuperUser_v3.07.zip
Odin3-v3.07
clockworkmod.TAR [ http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1148060&d=1340384923]{MD5: 2F0E18D7C18039BB46927D797823F2AD

I then flashed Thunderstick's All In One: SPH-L710_AllInOne_MK3_rooted_deodexed_withExtendedRebo ot

I just flashed crawrj 's Hotspot Mod - Working 4G: MK3 Deodexed: http://d-h.st/LSc
MD5: 2b71e65bd2dea1d21600ace41dedbfb7

When that finished it warned I might have lost root and offered to fix permissions which I did.

I ran Root check Pro and got the following results:

Super User Application Status:
SuperSU application - version 2.01 - is installed!

System File Properties for Root Access:
Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: lrwxrwxrwx root root 2014-07-12 00:14 su -> /system/xbin/su
Analysis: File: su is a symbolic link pointing to another file: /system/xbin/su

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: -rwxr-xr-x root root 104564 2008-08-01 08:00 su
Analysis: Setuid attribute is NOT present BUT root user ownership is present. Root access is NOT correctly configured for this file!

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.

Root User ID and Group ID Status:

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin

ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: shell (non root) user - ro.secure=1

Results provided on your SPH-L710 device by Root Checker Pro version 1.3.6 from joeykrim in the Android Market

Is there a simple way to fix this without having to reinstall and reconfigure all my apps?

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
(Last edited by roirraW "edor" ehT; 13th July 2014 at 02:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1316
Flash the latest Philz Touch Recovery and choose the re-root option in its settings, or use your current recovery and flash the latest SuperSU.zip downloaded directly from Chainfire's website. Just Google for it.

You could try restoring a backup, update your SuperSU to the latest and make sure it's binary is updated too, after. Then try re-flashing the hotspot mod.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TambourineMan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I have partially followed your advice. I have root back. What I did was to just reflash my AllInOne zip without also flashing the hotspot mod. That did it. I then also to flashed the SuperSu update file, I wanted to wait a few days and see if I lost root or if all was still good.

I also lost access to my 64GB SD card bot from the phone and from a USB connection, although all the files are still there if I put it in a card reader. I can also access a different SD card if I insert it into my phone. I have a lot of data on the card and wanted to back it up before reformatting it and trying to see if the phone can then access it.

And I do not have tether capability either until I try flashing the hotspot mod again. This time I may try both selecting or not selecting the fix permissions offer when it says I may have lost root.

I will probably switch to PhilZ at some point, but I think I am going to stay on CWM 8.0.4.5 and 4.3 unless I can't get the hotspot to work without losing root. There doesn't seem to be that much in KitKat that I want/need and I don't like the ND8 irreversibility, nor the new restrictions on SD cards.

Thanks a million for your help. I may be back after further testing whether the hotspot mod is what's causing me to loose root and SD card access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roirraW "edor" ehT View Post
Flash the latest Philz Touch Recovery and choose the re-root option in its settings, or use your current recovery and flash the latest SuperSU.zip downloaded directly from Chainfire's website. Just Google for it.

You could try restoring a backup, update your SuperSU to the latest and make sure it's binary is updated too, after. Then try re-flashing the hotspot mod.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to TambourineMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
Thanks Meter 1316
You're welcome! for the SD card, try flashing a different kernel. The stock kernel won't support as much. For example, I *think* that the stock kernel supports 64GB, but only in FAT32 format. I don't know if you might have yours in ExFAT format. ExFAT would have to be licensed from Microsoft for commercial purposes but it must be free for non - commercial, I guess.

If your SD card is in FAT32 format, disregard and I don't know why but a custom kernel is still worth a shot.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! v2a 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v5.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.