[Q] Looking for some assistance

Search This thread

elgecko

May 19, 2012
Red Lion
I have a Samsung S3 L710 on Virgin Mobile.
I've been running a Kitkat ROM; Conquest Singularity; for a very long time and wanted a change. I wanted to try out a ROM running Lollipop.
This is were my issues have started.

I updated to the latest TeamWin recovery and so far have clean flashed 3 different ROMS.
1 ROM the PAC ROM did not stay on the phone long at all because it was having trouble staying connected to my wifi. Wasn't on long enough to see if it has the same problem as the other ROMs listed below.
The other 2 ROMs I've tried, Liquid Smooth and currently on the phone OctOS. Both these ROMs will I think randomly reboot. (I'll get to "randomly" part in a bit.)

One thing I've done that I know is not recommended, is using TiB to replace data on a new flash. My question here is, if you have information in some apps that can not be saved in anyway way, how would one do this without using TiB?

Now onto the random reboots. I know most happened when I was playing Ingress on both ROMs. Ingress uses a lot of resources and being on for a while gets the phone pretty warm. Not sure if it's overheating the phone causing it to be unstable or what.
I have not adjusted any kernel CPU settings on any ROM that I've installed. Everything is left stock. Not sure if the developer has the settings overclocked from an install and maybe this is making the phone unstable.

Basically I'm frustrated to why I seem to be the only person getting reboots, and I know that from what is written no one will have any ideas why. I'm just venting. Now that I've been playing with LP ROMs the past few days, I'd like to keep one on the phone working properly.

lvpre

Jun 23, 2011
Lollipop roms are still buggy since they aren't made for our device. Have you tried the cm official or aicp roms? You will never have the stability as touchwiz on this phone. They have made a ton of improvement of them though.

With titanium backup, you shouldn't backup and restore app/data to system apps. That's when things get strange. Most non-system apps should be fine.

You could always take a logcat if the reboot has in the exact same spot. That would help the devs out

Reactions: elgecko

elgecko

May 19, 2012
Red Lion
Lollipop roms are still buggy since they aren't made for our device. Have you tried the cm official or aicp roms? You will never have the stability as touchwiz on this phone. They have made a ton of improvement of them though.

With titanium backup, you shouldn't backup and restore app/data to system apps. That's when things get strange. Most non-system apps should be fine.

You could always take a logcat if the reboot has in the exact same spot. That would help the devs out
Well that might explain it.
Haven't tried CM yet because most the ROM's required TWRP recovery and CM takes a different one.
I tried flashing AICP, but the Gapps didn't flash. Said wrong ROM or something. I only had the one Gapps on my internal storage so I flashed the OctOS instead. Just downloaded the Gapps listed on the AICP page. May try flashing that one now. Just so sick of reinstalling all my apps..... :silly:
As for TiB. I'm good then. I never do any system apps. I must have misunderstood about that. Been a long time since I've flashed anything.

Powered_By_Linux

Feb 1, 2015
Here's how I flashed aicp on my phone, using the modified TWRP that's made specially for Virgin/boost d2spr made by Lrs121. 1. Flash the latest aicp nightly. 2. Flash latest banks gapps: http://fitsnugly.euroskank.com/?rom=banks&device=gapps. 3. Flash APN fix: http://androidforums.com/threads/vi...rgin-mobile-apn-fix-wip-cm-aosp-4-4-x.840298/ 4. Boot into ROM, and reboot into recovery as soon as it boots up. 5. Reflash the ROM and gapps (but don't wipe anything this time).

That should get you up and running, with LTE and the APNs configured properly.

elgecko

May 19, 2012
Red Lion
Thanks all for the help.
Been running the 7/3 build for a few days now without any problems. May flash the 7/7 ver 10 build very soon.

Powered_By_Linux
I tried the APN fix on a Kitkat ROM some time ago and did not help. Found 8SMS messenger with the added line fix and was able to get my MMS messages then. May try the APN fix in the order that you suggested and see if I can go back to the Handscent messenger. I like that app better the 8SMS but was not able to get MMS messages.

One last question for anyone willing to answer. Any easy way to update the PRL?
Didn't see anything when snooping around the system menus.
Found this link for easy PRL updates; http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25470797#post25470797 on ASOP Roms, but not sure if AICP is a ASOP ROM as it doesn't seem to work. I can get the script widgets on my homescreen, but nothing happens when I click on them, other then some kind of error message.

wetbiker7

Aug 12, 2011
One last question for anyone willing to answer. Any easy way to update the PRL?
Didn't see anything when snooping around the system menus.
Found this link for easy PRL updates; http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25470797#post25470797 on ASOP Roms, but not sure if AICP is a ASOP ROM as it doesn't seem to work. I can get the script widgets on my homescreen, but nothing happens when I click on them, other then some kind of error message.

Make a backup of AICP. Then you'll have to flash back to a TouchWiz ROM, update PRL, then flash the AICP backup you made. Your updated PRL will stick.

You can also use a PRL from the PRL thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35576100

Flash a ROM like Wicked X or Tribute (you don't need your MSL). Download the PRL you want from the many listed in the thread, extract from zip, rename the PRL "TEST.prl" (without quotes), place on your internal SD, open your dialer and press ##DATA# to enter the hidden menu, tap View, scroll down to PRL Write, tap, and select. Your phone will reboot and you'll have yourself the PRL of your choosing.

Some people have good results from using these PRLs while others do not. Personally, I'm on Boost and have been running Sprint PRLs for years lol.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

EDIT......

NOTE- REMEMBER TO FACTORY RESET, WIPE CACHE, DALVIK CACHE, AND WIPE YOUR INTERNAL SD BEFORE RESTORING YOUR AICP BACKUP AFTER EITHER DOING A PRL UPDATE OR FLASHING THE ONE OF YOUR CHOOSING. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.