Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Losing root on deknoxed debloated stock 4.4

Tip us?
 
thedumbass
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 24
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default [Q] Losing root on deknoxed debloated stock 4.4

My phone has lost root twice now. It acted very strange when this happened. Hopefully you guys can help.

I'm on the stock kitkat 4.4.2 that I personally deknoxed and debloated. I have xposed framework and just a couple modules installed for it (gravity box, app settings, and keepchat) Everything is the same as it was on my phone when I had 4.3 app wise.

The first symptom I notice is that tapping the power button wont make the screen go to sleep. Holding it still brings up the power menu.
The first time it did this it also wouldnt connect to wifi and ate battery like crazy.
Used the flash zip to disable xposed and dirty flashed the rom. This fixed the wifi but not the power button.
Ended up totally flashing back to stock 4.4.2 with Odin and redoing everything. Downloaded pretty much all the apps from the app store and only used titanium backup to restore data on a couple things.

Everything worked fine ~3 weeks. Today it stopped working again. All the same symptoms. Absolutely nothing was changed between when it was working and when it stopped. All I did was reboot because I wanted to run speedtest from a clean boot. (comparing sprint 4G with verizon 4G at a friends)
Went to disable xposed straight from the app and it said it couldnt because I didnt have root. Downloaded rootchecker and it agreed that I did not have root.
Suddenly it started working again. Passed root checker and all. Then a couple minutes later it stopped again.
Downloaded towelroot and re-rooted with it. Everything seems to be back to normal for now.

Any ideas? Theories? Investigative follow up questions?
 
6th_Hokage
Old
#2  
6th_Hokage's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 161
Posts: 581
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Osos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedumbass View Post
My phone has lost root twice now. It acted very strange when this happened. Hopefully you guys can help.

I'm on the stock kitkat 4.4.2 that I personally deknoxed and debloated. I have xposed framework and just a couple modules installed for it (gravity box, app settings, and keepchat) Everything is the same as it was on my phone when I had 4.3 app wise.

The first symptom I notice is that tapping the power button wont make the screen go to sleep. Holding it still brings up the power menu.
The first time it did this it also wouldnt connect to wifi and ate battery like crazy.
Used the flash zip to disable xposed and dirty flashed the rom. This fixed the wifi but not the power button.
Ended up totally flashing back to stock 4.4.2 with Odin and redoing everything. Downloaded pretty much all the apps from the app store and only used titanium backup to restore data on a couple things.

Everything worked fine ~3 weeks. Today it stopped working again. All the same symptoms. Absolutely nothing was changed between when it was working and when it stopped. All I did was reboot because I wanted to run speedtest from a clean boot. (comparing sprint 4G with verizon 4G at a friends)
Went to disable xposed straight from the app and it said it couldnt because I didnt have root. Downloaded rootchecker and it agreed that I did not have root.
Suddenly it started working again. Passed root checker and all. Then a couple minutes later it stopped again.
Downloaded towelroot and re-rooted with it. Everything seems to be back to normal for now.

Any ideas? Theories? Investigative follow up questions?
for some reason that happens to me when I'm on stock not on any other custom rom but when i clean flash a new rom everything is fine but if i Odin back to stock or flash one of the stock rooted via recovery i lose root a lot and when i re-root with Philz touch recovery i cant update the su binary with super su so i cant help you minus the flash a different rom answer I'm sorry :/
my work:

Custom Splash Screen Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile s3 Touchwiz Roms and some AOSP Roms


sorta my work :P Viper4Andriod S3 APP and Settings

current phone:
Boost Samsung Galaxy S3 running Wicked X v7.3

Past phone: latest to oldest
Samsung Galaxy Infuse 4G retired
Samsung Galaxy S 4G 3rd time around
HTC myTouch 3G slide
Samsung Galaxy S 4G 2nd time around
T-mobile myTouch
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
HTC Sensation 4G i miss you :'(
Motorola Backflip
 
thedumbass
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 24
Join Date: Oct 2010
Not the answer I want to hear. But it is an answer and its appreciated.
By custom are you meaning stock based custom or full custom/AOSP based?

I know there are some stable custom roms out there but I like the general stability of stock especially since I still need to update my girlfriend's phone. She needs something that works all the time and a reboot will fix 99.9% of the issues she might see.

Our S3s are both ported to Ting. Hers is rooted mainly for the debloat and easy backup/recovery abilities. I told her until I knew mine was stable to just stay on 4.3 and ignore the update notification. She's had zero issues and I've had this one plus the external SD write crap. I'm definitely the nerd of the two of us and getting into flashing custom roms would be too much for her.

This might end up pushing me to something custom. If I do I'll just leave her behind at 4.3 and kill her update notifications permanently.
 
6th_Hokage
Old
#4  
6th_Hokage's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 161
Posts: 581
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Osos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedumbass View Post
Not the answer I want to hear. But it is an answer and its appreciated.
By custom are you meaning stock based custom or full custom/AOSP based?

I know there are some stable custom roms out there but I like the general stability of stock especially since I still need to update my girlfriend's phone. She needs something that works all the time and a reboot will fix 99.9% of the issues she might see.

Our S3s are both ported to Ting. Hers is rooted mainly for the debloat and easy backup/recovery abilities. I told her until I knew mine was stable to just stay on 4.3 and ignore the update notification. She's had zero issues and I've had this one plus the external SD write crap. I'm definitely the nerd of the two of us and getting into flashing custom roms would be too much for her.

This might end up pushing me to something custom. If I do I'll just leave her behind at 4.3 and kill her update notifications permanently.
damn well i meant custom touchwiz and custom ASOP
my work:

Custom Splash Screen Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile s3 Touchwiz Roms and some AOSP Roms


sorta my work :P Viper4Andriod S3 APP and Settings

current phone:
Boost Samsung Galaxy S3 running Wicked X v7.3

Past phone: latest to oldest
Samsung Galaxy Infuse 4G retired
Samsung Galaxy S 4G 3rd time around
HTC myTouch 3G slide
Samsung Galaxy S 4G 2nd time around
T-mobile myTouch
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
HTC Sensation 4G i miss you :'(
Motorola Backflip
The Following User Says Thank You to 6th_Hokage For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
thedumbass
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 24
Join Date: Oct 2010
And now it's deleting system apps. Wtf. My alarm clock and calculator are gone. I sure didn't delete them. Titanium backup list most of the clock stuff as crossed out.
 
6th_Hokage
Old
#6  
6th_Hokage's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 161
Posts: 581
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Osos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedumbass View Post
And now it's deleting system apps. Wtf. My alarm clock and calculator are gone. I sure didn't delete them. Titanium backup list most of the clock stuff as crossed out.
that's strange what rom? and how long have you been using it i will do the research
my work:

Custom Splash Screen Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile s3 Touchwiz Roms and some AOSP Roms


sorta my work :P Viper4Andriod S3 APP and Settings

current phone:
Boost Samsung Galaxy S3 running Wicked X v7.3

Past phone: latest to oldest
Samsung Galaxy Infuse 4G retired
Samsung Galaxy S 4G 3rd time around
HTC myTouch 3G slide
Samsung Galaxy S 4G 2nd time around
T-mobile myTouch
Samsung Galaxy S 4G
HTC Sensation 4G i miss you :'(
Motorola Backflip
 
thedumbass
Old
(Last edited by thedumbass; 16th July 2014 at 01:40 PM.)
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 24
Join Date: Oct 2010
Still stock ND8 deknoxed. I froze the bloat rather than deleting. I haven't had a chance to flash anything new since starting this thread.

Starting to wonder if my nand is shot... I couldn't find any apps that would do an integrity check on the nand.
 
roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
#8  
roirraW "edor" ehT's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1317
Posts: 3,050
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedumbass View Post
Still stock ND8 deknoxed. I froze the bloat rather than deleting. I haven't had a chance to flash anything new since starting this thread.

Starting to wonder if my nand is shot... I couldn't find any apps that would do an integrity check on the nand.
Start ultra fresh:

1. Backup anything you absolutely must including from the internal storage.

2. Take the SD card out and leave it out.

3. Download is necessary and check the MD5 hash of the zip or tar of the stock ND8 tar. The hashes are somewhere in that thread, just search it for MD5.

4. Odin the stock ND8 tar.

5. Odin the very latest Philz Touch Recovery tar.md5.

6. In Philz's settings, use the re-root option.

7. Don't restore any data via Titanium Backup or other app. Only restore apps via the Play Store.

8. Observe if all weirdness has gone away.

9. If so, backup what you want from your SD card, reformat it and if you want flash a different ROM. Check the hash of anything you flash, especially ROMs and kernels.

10. Do not restore any Nandroids.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! v2a 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot


n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v5.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to roirraW "edor" ehT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Run, Jump, and Shoot in Tales of Ciaxia

There are certain types of games that have become paramount of the portable gaming world. As we have … more

Samsung Gear Live Stock Firmware Image Pulled, Temp Root

Just yesterday,XDA Recognized Developer and TV ProducerAdamOutlertore apart … more

Draw a Line and Let Your Device Do the Rest with LineitApp

Over the years, since evenbefore Android entered the scene, we have striven to … more