Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooted SPH-L710 with ODIN & CF-Auto-Root, Root Checker shows NOT rooted. HELP?!

Tip us?

Jayhawker69
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default **proper way to fix your problem!!**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalen_Christian View Post
i've been having the same issue! thank you for working it out. i really want to complete the root, but im having trouble.
I'm very new to this stuff and I don't understand some of the instrutions.

could someone made make a clear cut instruction on how to do this?

I have an SPH-L710
I used Odin with CF- Auto Root.
When I try to open SuperSU, I get, "Unfortunately, Supersu has stopped." and I can't update it in Play. Just like OP.

I'm unfamiliar with recoveries and how to install them. I have the latest philz touch and SuperSu Zips on my computer ready to go. I have odin 3.07.

If Jessooca could make a clear cut instruction that would be awesome. Or anyone really..I just need some help.

Oh, and my computer won't recognize my phone. It did for a moment, but It hasn't been working for the past hour.
Ok, first off....no offense to the poster 'Jessooca', but the steps she has posted to solve your issue are in part, slightly incorrect and misguiding. The following steps are *EXACTLY* how you should proceed, in order to fix the problem/issue you are having (the EXACT same issue I dealt with for the past two days) :

Step One:
IF you haven't done so already, download the Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers from the following link. This should solve your connectivity problem. Following the link below, scroll down just a little bit, and click on the downloads tab located just to the right of the 'Manuals' tab. Click on the blue box that says "EXE", and this should get the proper driver downloaded for your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3. And obviously, install the downloaded driver after it completes the download.
Link:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...0813-11000279#

Step Two:
I know that you have stated that you have already downloaded the 'Philz Touch Recovery'.zip file....but there is a chance you may not have downloaded the proper file for your specific and exact handset. So, here is the link for 'Philz Touch Recovery' that you should download and use for this process. It should be a direct link for the download file. I'll post a second link that you should only use as an alternative, in the event that the first link does not work. IF the first link didn't work, then make sure you download the most recently uploaded version of the Philz touch recovery from the alternative link; should be Sun, July 6th...and also be sure to click on the download link (there's two separate links) titled "philz_touch_6.48.4-d2lte.tar.md5"...as it will be much easier to work with than the .zip file.
Link One:
https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_...-d2lte.tar.md5
Alternative Link:
https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_...Edition/d2lte/

Step Three:
Now that we have the proper 'Philz Touch Recovery' file downloaded, you will need to download a different version of ODIN, as the 3.07 version you have will not suit our needs for this procedure. The link for the proper version of ODIN you will need is posted directly below. Download, extract it, and put the extracted folder somewhere on your computer that is handy or easy to find later. I'd suggest making a folder on your desktop from the very start of this procedure, and name it 'SPH-L710 Root Files', or w/e works best for you. Save all the files, or move all of the files you might have already downloaded at this point into that folder. Always nice to be organized and shizzz.
Link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...hmentid=581913

Step Four:
Alright, were getting closer to being done with this whole ordeal. Follow the link I have posted below, for the proper instructions on how to flash 'Philz Touch Recovery' in Odin to your device (the version of Odin we just downloaded from step three...obvi). Reading the instructions, you'll notice that it mentions that auto-reboot into recovery mode may not work properly after the file is flashed in Odin. This actually happened to myself....and seeing as how we have had the exact same problem with rooting our phones, I would suggest from the start, to uncheck the auto reboot option in Odin, and then manually boot into recovery mode after Odin successfully flashes the file to your phone. If you take my advice, and follow what I just said, your phone will still be in download mode after Odin flashes the file...assuming Odin says that the file successfully flashed ("PASS!"). From here, you will unplug your phone from your USB cord.....and now we will boot into the recovery file/mode we just flashed. To do this, HOLD down in this order: the Volume Up button + the Home key + the Power Button....continue to hold all 3 of these buttons down until the phone enters into recovery mode...you will be able to tell when you are in recovery.
Link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57&postcount=4

Step Five:
Ok, so hopefully if you did everything right to this point, and some other unforeseen issue has not arisen, you should be in Philz Touch Recovery Mode. Click on "PhilZ Settings" or "Advanced" , I can't remember for sure which one it is....but I'm almost positive it's in "PhilZ Settings"...click that option first. Within this settings menu, click on the option titled "Re-root" and click yes to proceed. After this is done, go back to the main menu and click on the "Reboot system/device" option on the very top.

Step Six:
Your phone should now boot up normally into your phones operating system/shell. Go to the Google Play store and search for and download an app called "Root Checker". Open the Root Checker app and click on the verify button. If everything worked properly, and if baby raptor Jesus loves you, the Root Checker will return the result that your phone has been properly rooted and you have root access/privileges. Now, go back to Google Play Store and download the "SuperSU" app....if it isn't already still on your phone (I had to re-download it). Open SuperSU from your apps menu/drawer and it might ask you to update the SuperSU binaries...mine did....and click on the normal method option, instead of the recommended option for HTC devices. SuperSU should update binary and your problems should all be melted away like butter by now.

** THIS IS THE EXACT SOLUTION(S) I TOOK TO FIX OUR SAME PROBLEM. I CAN'T GUARANTEE IT WILL WORK THE SAME FOR YOU, FOR WHATEVER REASON OR CIRCUMSTANCE THAT MIGHT BE. GOOD LUCK, YOU'LL DO GREAT KID **
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jayhawker69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

g_money
Old
Thanks Meter 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalen_Christian View Post
I checked Philz out very thoroughly and I don't think I did it correctly. So, I have to put a fresh 4.4.2 on. When I do want to creat a backup for recovery, What app should I use? Also, What are the main apps for superusers? I don't want to download a bunch of stuff I don't really need.
Thanks
You would use philz recovery to make your backup. My apps that use root would be things like titanium backup, clean master, busy box. By going to the playstore and doing a search for root, you'll find apps that don't need root access but perform better when they have it...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

I'm just saying....
g_money

PROUD owner of a Sprint Galaxy sIII
(My wife thinks her Note2 is better.
She gets no root access until she apologizes...)
The Following User Says Thank You to g_money For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

godofsalt
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Check this out !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker69 View Post
Ok, first off....no offense to the poster 'Jessooca', but the steps she has posted to solve your issue are in part, slightly incorrect and misguiding. The following steps are *EXACTLY* how you should proceed, in order to fix the problem/issue you are having (the EXACT same issue I dealt with for the past two days) :

Step One:
IF you haven't done so already, download the Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers from the following link. This should solve your connectivity problem. Following the link below, scroll down just a little bit, and click on the downloads tab located just to the right of the 'Manuals' tab. Click on the blue box that says "EXE", and this should get the proper driver downloaded for your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3. And obviously, install the downloaded driver after it completes the download.
Link:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...0813-11000279#

Step Two:
I know that you have stated that you have already downloaded the 'Philz Touch Recovery'.zip file....but there is a chance you may not have downloaded the proper file for your specific and exact handset. So, here is the link for 'Philz Touch Recovery' that you should download and use for this process. It should be a direct link for the download file. I'll post a second link that you should only use as an alternative, in the event that the first link does not work. IF the first link didn't work, then make sure you download the most recently uploaded version of the Philz touch recovery from the alternative link; should be Sun, July 6th...and also be sure to click on the download link (there's two separate links) titled "philz_touch_6.48.4-d2lte.tar.md5"...as it will be much easier to work with than the .zip file.
Link One:
https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_...-d2lte.tar.md5
Alternative Link:
https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_...Edition/d2lte/

Step Three:
Now that we have the proper 'Philz Touch Recovery' file downloaded, you will need to download a different version of ODIN, as the 3.07 version you have will not suit our needs for this procedure. The link for the proper version of ODIN you will need is posted directly below. Download, extract it, and put the extracted folder somewhere on your computer that is handy or easy to find later. I'd suggest making a folder on your desktop from the very start of this procedure, and name it 'SPH-L710 Root Files', or w/e works best for you. Save all the files, or move all of the files you might have already downloaded at this point into that folder. Always nice to be organized and shizzz.
Link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...hmentid=581913

Step Four:
Alright, were getting closer to being done with this whole ordeal. Follow the link I have posted below, for the proper instructions on how to flash 'Philz Touch Recovery' in Odin to your device (the version of Odin we just downloaded from step three...obvi). Reading the instructions, you'll notice that it mentions that auto-reboot into recovery mode may not work properly after the file is flashed in Odin. This actually happened to myself....and seeing as how we have had the exact same problem with rooting our phones, I would suggest from the start, to uncheck the auto reboot option in Odin, and then manually boot into recovery mode after Odin successfully flashes the file to your phone. If you take my advice, and follow what I just said, your phone will still be in download mode after Odin flashes the file...assuming Odin says that the file successfully flashed ("PASS!"). From here, you will unplug your phone from your USB cord.....and now we will boot into the recovery file/mode we just flashed. To do this, HOLD down in this order: the Volume Up button + the Home key + the Power Button....continue to hold all 3 of these buttons down until the phone enters into recovery mode...you will be able to tell when you are in recovery.
Link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57&postcount=4

Step Five:
Ok, so hopefully if you did everything right to this point, and some other unforeseen issue has not arisen, you should be in Philz Touch Recovery Mode. Click on "PhilZ Settings" or "Advanced" , I can't remember for sure which one it is....but I'm almost positive it's in "PhilZ Settings"...click that option first. Within this settings menu, click on the option titled "Re-root" and click yes to proceed. After this is done, go back to the main menu and click on the "Reboot system/device" option on the very top.

Step Six:
Your phone should now boot up normally into your phones operating system/shell. Go to the Google Play store and search for and download an app called "Root Checker". Open the Root Checker app and click on the verify button. If everything worked properly, and if baby raptor Jesus loves you, the Root Checker will return the result that your phone has been properly rooted and you have root access/privileges. Now, go back to Google Play Store and download the "SuperSU" app....if it isn't already still on your phone (I had to re-download it). Open SuperSU from your apps menu/drawer and it might ask you to update the SuperSU binaries...mine did....and click on the normal method option, instead of the recommended option for HTC devices. SuperSU should update binary and your problems should all be melted away like butter by now.

** THIS IS THE EXACT SOLUTION(S) I TOOK TO FIX OUR SAME PROBLEM. I CAN'T GUARANTEE IT WILL WORK THE SAME FOR YOU, FOR WHATEVER REASON OR CIRCUMSTANCE THAT MIGHT BE. GOOD LUCK, YOU'LL DO GREAT KID **

WILL TRY TO BE BRIEF....maybe...

ONLY did the whole QUOTE for the fact this works on newer formats 4.4.x.... (for now)...
IMO, this SHOULD out in the main thread or something.

Seems that just trying to use Chainfire Auto root does not work on 4.4.x...HOWEVER THIS does honestly work right the first time!!! Do need to add that I have tried Auto w/Odin (3.09/3.07/an 1.85) so many times it Nuckin' Futz....

OK, have been in same boat and working extremely hard and long on this issue (rooting SGS3 on 4.4.2) for the past week or so! I do really mean work on this issue. Have read an researched tons ...Starting w/4.3 to 4.4.x, as well as what is coming down the darn pike on this matter. Look up what Mr. Chainfire has posted in the last month... might get folks thinking twice on that new phone purchase, not just the cost, but what they end up with.

Anyway, I want to thank you....
Seems to me, the main thing that has kept me from rooting was this little tid-bit>>> "After it says "PASS" unplug and go right into RECOVERY from this point, (meaning from download mode right to recovery)"....as well as Once in Phliz recovery> RE_ROOT, then boot into system

Truly hope this helps others with there SGS3 (l710)
Thanks Again.

P.S.
reason for the red>So hopefully others on stock 4.4.x, can see 1 honest easy way to root

mezkal24
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker69 View Post
roirraW "edor" ehT....THANKS A MILLION!! I have successfully in ODIN, flashed Philz Touch Recovery onto my S3. I booted into recovery, went in Philz settings, and clicked on the "re-root" option. I rebooted the device into the main system/shell, ran root checker to verify root status.....AND VOILA! ROOT STATUS GRANTED, BISH! I downloaded SuperSU from the play store, and everything seems to be running like butter. Consider this thread CLOSED!

Cheers from Lawrence, Kansas!,
-Brett
These steps worked! Thank you both very much!