[Q] Rooted Stock SPH-L710, Having issues with extSD write and apps that use it

Search This thread

KesselRunPDX

Aug 30, 2014
Hi,
Aside from the problem I'm about to describe, everything else has been fine on my rooted s3. I'm using it as just a wifi only device, no phone account or anything active on it and it's running KitKat 4.4.2 . The issue I'm running into is apparently certain apps I'm trying to use, or maybe the whole phone I'm not sure, doesn't seem to have write access to the external sd card.

First app called Click Master gives me a couple different errors when I start it up, namely "Error: Could not create Root Directories" and "Write Error: Collection Save All!" I can search the various sets on the app, but cannot add anything to it nor make teams/groups in the team builder, namely because of the above errors. Also I can't perform a search through the various sets. I have this app on my Galaxy Tab 3, which is running 4.1.2 and it doesn't have any issues with any of the above, and functions like it should. I'm guessing it has something to do with the write permissions possibly?

Second is the Doctor Who Legacy app. This one I'm not too sure if its the same issue, and I'm trying to work with the dev team for the game, but it installs and loads just fine, but it gets to the splash screen and says "Please Wait..." then it just sits there not advancing into the game or crashing or giving any sort of error. Again, works fine on my Tab 3, but since there hasn't been any error messages, I'm kind of at a loss on what the issue is.

I searched the forums before posting and found the N9005 thread for editing the platform.xml in /system/etc/permissions and under WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission it does not have the group definition <group gid="media_rw" />. I enabled the write permission in File Explorer, but when I try to add the line into the xml, it says "Error occurs during saving". Not sure what's up there.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated on these issues, since I'm at a loss and don't want to do too much poking around and brick the device.
Thanks!

JoHnNYBlaZE716

Dec 31, 2013
Buffalo

KesselRunPDX

Aug 30, 2014
Tried the SDCard fix, rebooted, no joy. Tried installing xposed and it says that it doesn't have write permission.
Would I need to reflash the phone and try again? Far as I know I have root access and have superuser and appops running on the phone, so im not sure what the problem is.

Spark91

Feb 17, 2013
Minneapolis
Having the Kernel set to permissive kinda fixes the issue as well and Chad The Pathfinder also did a post regarding modifying a .xml HERE
So you can get the permissive stock kernel from HERE Creds to CNexus and give him thankies.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

KesselRunPDX

Aug 30, 2014
Haven't tried installing the permissive kernel, I'm not quite sure how to do that lol.

The thing that is baffling me is that i checked the platform.xml file and this is what I see:
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

I checked the platform permissions and they're set to rw-/r--/r--/ and I rebooted, but the two programs are still having the same problem. Everywhere I've checked about this says to do the above to fix the problem and yet its not seeming to fix it. Could it be the apps themselves? Should I try re-downloading them and check if a fresh install would help?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Haven't tried installing the permissive kernel, I'm not quite sure how to do that lol.

You flash the permissive kernel from custom recovery as far as I remember. The thread for it should say.

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Having the Kernel set to permissive kinda fixes the issue as well and Chad The Pathfinder also did a post regarding modifying a .xml HERE
    So you can get the permissive stock kernel from HERE Creds to CNexus and give him thankies.