Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Rooted Stock SPH-L710, Having issues with extSD write and apps that use it

OP KesselRunPDX

30th August 2014, 07:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
Hi,
Aside from the problem I'm about to describe, everything else has been fine on my rooted s3. I'm using it as just a wifi only device, no phone account or anything active on it and it's running KitKat 4.4.2 . The issue I'm running into is apparently certain apps I'm trying to use, or maybe the whole phone I'm not sure, doesn't seem to have write access to the external sd card.

First app called Click Master gives me a couple different errors when I start it up, namely "Error: Could not create Root Directories" and "Write Error: Collection Save All!" I can search the various sets on the app, but cannot add anything to it nor make teams/groups in the team builder, namely because of the above errors. Also I can't perform a search through the various sets. I have this app on my Galaxy Tab 3, which is running 4.1.2 and it doesn't have any issues with any of the above, and functions like it should. I'm guessing it has something to do with the write permissions possibly?

Second is the Doctor Who Legacy app. This one I'm not too sure if its the same issue, and I'm trying to work with the dev team for the game, but it installs and loads just fine, but it gets to the splash screen and says "Please Wait..." then it just sits there not advancing into the game or crashing or giving any sort of error. Again, works fine on my Tab 3, but since there hasn't been any error messages, I'm kind of at a loss on what the issue is.

I searched the forums before posting and found the N9005 thread for editing the platform.xml in /system/etc/permissions and under WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission it does not have the group definition <group gid="media_rw" />. I enabled the write permission in File Explorer, but when I try to add the line into the xml, it says "Error occurs during saving". Not sure what's up there.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated on these issues, since I'm at a loss and don't want to do too much poking around and brick the device.
Thanks!
30th August 2014, 07:05 AM   |  #2  
Flag Sana'a
Thanks Meter: 27

260 posts
I think about extSdCard there is a file to be flashed from recovery as sd card fix.
Search for it.
30th August 2014, 07:20 AM   |  #3  
Flag Buffalo
Thanks Meter: 1,245

552 posts
Donate to Me
More
There is an app in the playstore that will fix this or you could use the xposed module that is made for this purpose.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...psf390205f.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...psf390205f.jpg
30th August 2014, 07:48 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid716

There is an app in the playstore that will fix this or you could use the xposed module that is made for this purpose.

Tried the app, no change. Tried just installing xposed framework, said it couldn't write the zip to the sd card?
30th August 2014, 09:29 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 34

74 posts
Donate to Me
More
SDFix

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app
31st August 2014, 05:36 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
More
Tried the SDCard fix, rebooted, no joy. Tried installing xposed and it says that it doesn't have write permission.
Would I need to reflash the phone and try again? Far as I know I have root access and have superuser and appops running on the phone, so im not sure what the problem is.
1st September 2014, 12:44 AM   |  #7  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 64

133 posts
More
Having the Kernel set to permissive kinda fixes the issue as well and Chad The Pathfinder also did a post regarding modifying a .xml HERE
So you can get the permissive stock kernel from HERE Creds to CNexus and give him thankies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spark91 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st September 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
More
Haven't tried installing the permissive kernel, I'm not quite sure how to do that lol.

The thing that is baffling me is that i checked the platform.xml file and this is what I see:
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

I checked the platform permissions and they're set to rw-/r--/r--/ and I rebooted, but the two programs are still having the same problem. Everywhere I've checked about this says to do the above to fix the problem and yet its not seeming to fix it. Could it be the apps themselves? Should I try re-downloading them and check if a fresh install would help?
1st September 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #9  
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 1,770

3,399 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselRunPDX

Haven't tried installing the permissive kernel, I'm not quite sure how to do that lol.

You flash the permissive kernel from custom recovery as far as I remember. The thread for it should say.

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread