[Q] Can a S3 be returned to stock?

OP TdiGuy

3rd July 2014, 01:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 29

97 posts
Greetings,
I am very new to the sprint S3 and i have only owned it for a few weeks now. I love the phone and its a huge upgrade from what i have been using. I have rooted a couple of phones and have used custom rom's and such but never on this device. I had a lg optimus T that i rooted and flashed.
I am thinking about rooting and flashing this device to cyanogenmod ( and i think the automated installer will work from the looks of it so far anyway ) but i have seen several times over the internet that some features of the phone might not work properly after the flash. Would i be able to return the phone back to stock rom if i flash over to cyanogenmod? Mind you right now i have no way to backup the nand or factory rom.
My phone has been updated to kitkat also if that matters.
3rd July 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #2  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 59

329 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiGuy

Greetings,
I am very new to the sprint S3 and i have only owned it for a few weeks now. I love the phone and its a huge upgrade from what i have been using. I have rooted a couple of phones and have used custom rom's and such but never on this device. I had a lg optimus T that i rooted and flashed.
I am thinking about rooting and flashing this device to cyanogenmod ( and i think the automated installer will work from the looks of it so far anyway ) but i have seen several times over the internet that some features of the phone might not work properly after the flash. Would i be able to return the phone back to stock rom if i flash over to cyanogenmod? Mind you right now i have no way to backup the nand or factory rom.
My phone has been updated to kitkat also if that matters.

To go completely back to stock with stock recovery and everything you would use Odin. You say it has been updated to KitKat. I assume you mean stock OTA ND8 so if that is true make sure you DON'T Odin anything lower. You will be able to start over on a shiny new phone if you do because this one will be toast.
3rd July 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #3  
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 1,754

3,385 posts
More
Yes, you would just use Odin on a PC to flash the stock ND8 tar file and it would be fresh as a babies bottom. Well, maybe not but it would put everything literally back to how it was when it was brand new.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2738533

It would also wipe your internal storage, so make sure you save pics, videos and downloads off of it (move to the MicroSD card) first.

Just NEVER ever Odin anything older than ND8, or try to flash an older modem than ND8 or you'll brick your phone.

It's a great phone, especially with KitKat! Enjoy and have fun!

P.S. FYI, questions go in the Q&A section.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
Last edited by roirraW "edor" ehT; 3rd July 2014 at 02:16 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread