What steps should be taken before upgrading to a new, larger SD card?

Search This thread

jhoffy22

Oct 25, 2010
What should be done before upgrading to a new, larger SD card? I've currently got a 4GB card and am upgrading to a 32GB Samsung EVO Class 10 micro SD card. I just purged a lot of information on my phone that I don't use anymore and I've managed to free up 8.1GB of internal storage space.

Going forward, I would like to maximize usage of the larger 32GB memory card as much as possible as I've found that having the majority of the internal storage space occupied seems to slow down the phone. I would like to move nearly all apps if possible to the micro SD card.

Thank you

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Before upgrading? None at all that I can think of. You might consider formatting the new SD card as ExFAT instead of the default of FAT32.

You can use an app like FolderMount to redirect most folders that by default go to the internal storage to external.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! v2a ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v5.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: TheKryptonite
Just 2 Q's about that...

Before upgrading? None at all that I can think of. You might consider formatting the new SD card as ExFAT instead of the default of FAT32.

I do have 2 Q's

1- Why ExFAT? just wondering...Coming from Ubuntu 14.04 seems that EXT4 seems to be good, also use the FAT32..????

2- would I need to Partition a 64GB Card into 2-32Gb Partitons...OR is just 1 partition w/64Gb ok?...(must add I have ALWAYS have SWAP on the card as well....just never know with larger files and such, wether or not it is actually needed (better safe/then Sorry)

Thanks

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I do have 2 Q's

1- Why ExFAT? just wondering...Coming from Ubuntu 14.04 seems that EXT4 seems to be good, also use the FAT32..????

2- would I need to Partition a 64GB Card into 2-32Gb Partitons...OR is just 1 partition w/64Gb ok?...(must add I have ALWAYS have SWAP on the card as well....just never know with larger files and such, wether or not it is actually needed (better safe/then Sorry)

Thanks

Totally your preference. Google ExFAT vs FAT32. If you're using Ubuntu or other Linux and not Windows, you probably wouldn't want ExFAT.

No, 1 64gb partition is fine. I never use a swap partition but I've never found I needed one after I stopped using my 384MB first Android phone.
You're welcome, and enjoy!

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v5.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: jhoffy22

jhoffy22

Oct 25, 2010
So I created a folder on my desktop, CTRL C the entire old SD card, CTRL V to folder created. Inserted new SD card into phone, CTRL V from desktop folder to new card folder on phone after deleting folders that were there.

I'm missing apps and some of their data. Where did I go wrong?

EDIT: Fixed it. Instead of using copy/paste shortcuts, I did a select all + drag/drop from folder to folder and this seems to have preserved everything and no data is missing anymore. I think it had something to do with hidden files not being transferred properly when doing the ctrl c/v.

Thanks all!

Now how can I maximize usage of the SD card? As I understand, Kitkat has changed the landscape for micro SD cards in terms of what you can and can't store on them. A step back it would seem. Ideally, I would like to store as much data as possible on my sd card besides apps that should be kept in memory such as the homescreen/lockscreen launcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Tanxs

Totally your preference. Google ExFAT vs FAT32. If you're using Ubuntu or other Linux and not Windows, you probably wouldn't want ExFAT.

No, 1 64gb partition is fine. I never use a swap partition but I've never found I needed one after I stopped using my 384MB first Android phone.

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Well i do use Win8.1, only because it came on new laptop. However, shortly after I knew all the specs, I went and added much better Ram, and a large SSD....Now I have my Ubuntu back!!!!!!!!!! and 8.1 is on a much smaller partition. So, because I play with Android, and Ubuntu, and of course windows, I prefer FAT32.....
As to the other... I have now clue if i actually need "SWAP" or not. Have not had the phone long enough to push all the limits. However, I am in love with links 2SD...Now that I am rooted, I put all apps on my 14GB Second Partition (EXT4) and they have improved their work over @ Link2Sd, now you can include the DEX...Phone looks rather M~T with Links2sd... awesome.
Oh the Q @ 64gb card. Am also working on some China clone tablet, and want to bring Kit-Kat to it. It only has 1 SD port! Does have a USB port as well, but don't really want something sticking out of it all the time.

Thanks for the info!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can use an app like FolderMount to redirect most folders that by default go to the internal storage to external.

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

I do have 2 Q's

Thanks

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

So I created a folder on my desktop, CTRL C the entire old SD card, CTRL V to folder created. Inserted new SD card into phone, CTRL V from desktop folder to new card folder on phone after deleting folders that were there.

I'm missing apps and some of their data. Where did I go wrong?

EDIT: Fixed it. Instead of using copy/paste shortcuts, I did a select all + drag/drop from folder to folder and this seems to have preserved everything and no data is missing anymore. I think it had something to do with hidden files not being transferred properly when doing the ctrl c/v.

Thanks all!

Now how can I maximize usage of the SD card? As I understand, Kitkat has changed the landscape for micro SD cards in terms of what you can and can't store on them. A step back it would seem. Ideally, I would like to store as much data as possible on my sd card besides apps that should be kept in memory such as the homescreen/lockscreen launcher.