Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,368 Members 44,517 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Time to update ROM with Knox bit tripped, how to avoid a brick

Tip us?
 
treblesum81
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 122
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] Time to update ROM with Knox bit tripped, how to avoid a brick

So back in December while updating to the newest version of MOAR, I made this mistake of taking the OTA update and getting Knox. I managed not to brick my phone at the time, but ended up with the Knox bit tripped and a lot of concern that further experimenting would result in a dead phone and a forced replacement. Anyway, fast forward to now and its time to update again (some apps are starting to get unstable because they have been updated but my ROM hasn't), but I want to make sure I don't risk bricking the phone thanks to Knox.

If I remember correctly, the fact that I'd contracted Knox and tripped the bit already meant that I was stuck with the same bootloader, but I could update everything else. Is this still the case, or has someone figured a way around the issue in the past six months so that I can get rid of Knox once and for all? Also, since I haven't looked at any of this in the last 7 months, what exactly would the process be to update to the newest version of MOAR without updating the bootloader (if that's still what needs to happen)?

Thanks
 
roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
(Last edited by roirraW "edor" ehT; 4th July 2014 at 02:25 AM.)
#2  
roirraW "edor" ehT's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,686
Posts: 3,321
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
You can downgrade everything but bootloader and modem. You can upgrade everything.

Flashing custom ROMs don't include bootloaders or modems, so have no fear. Only Odining the stock ROM, taking an OTA, or specifically finding a way to flash those upgrade them.

Just flash the latest MOAR or whatever other ROM you want to, as always.

The only exception to this is to flash ND8 (TouchWiz 4.4.2) based ROMs you need to have taken the ND8 OTA or Odined the stock ND8 tar first, otherwise you may brick your phone.

You're welcome!

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot


n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
 
treblesum81
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 122
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by roirraW "edor" ehT View Post
You can downgrade everything but bootloader and modem. You can upgrade everything.

Flashing custom ROMs don't include bootloaders or modems, so have no fear. Only Odining the stock ROM, taking an OTA, or specifically finding a way to flash those upgrade them.

Just flash the latest MOAR or whatever other ROM you want to, as always.

The only exception to this is to flash ND8 (TouchWiz 4.4.2) based ROMs you need to have taken the ND8 OTA or Odined the stock ND8 tar first, otherwise you may brick your phone.

You're welcome!

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot


n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
Ok, with all of that said, the ND8 is an upgrade, so if I Odin it in, I should still be fine? I really hate that this is even an issue... I am thinking of jumping ship from the company's products when I upgrade next specifically as a result of this
 
roirraW "edor" ehT
Old
#4  
roirraW "edor" ehT's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,686
Posts: 3,321
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblesum81 View Post
Ok, with all of that said, the ND8 is an upgrade, so if I Odin it in, I should still be fine? I really hate that this is even an issue... I am thinking of jumping ship from the company's products when I upgrade next specifically as a result of this
Yes, you can upgrade everything.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! 🆕🆒🆓 & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot


n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v2.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
 
g_money
Old
#5  
g_money's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 286
Posts: 370
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by treblesum81 View Post
Ok, with all of that said, the ND8 is an upgrade, so if I Odin it in, I should still be fine? I really hate that this is even an issue... I am thinking of jumping ship from the company's products when I upgrade next specifically as a result of this
The only valid arguments against Knox (IMHO) are:

1. Once the warranty counter is tripped there is no way to reset it.

2. You do not have the ability to downgrade modems/bootloaders.

Myself, rode warrior and many others have had no issues directly related to Knox....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2


I'm just saying....
g_money

PROUD owner of a Sprint Galaxy sIII
(My wife thinks her Note2 is better.
She gets no root access until she apologizes...)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to g_money For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
treblesum81
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 122
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_money View Post
The only valid arguments against Knox (IMHO) are:

1. Once the warranty counter is tripped there is no way to reset it.

2. You do not have the ability to downgrade modems/bootloaders.

Myself, rode warrior and many others have had no issues directly related to Knox....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
The problem is the way in which those issues manifested. Samsung essentially slipped Knox into the update almost without warning and with virtually no documentation. As a result many of those who were affected found out about it as a result of a bricked phone which was now permanently marked as ineligible for warranty work. Had Samsung made it clear what Knox was capable of and provided proper documentation of its function then I don't think many people would have had any problems with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes