Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery overheating / draining

Tip us?

sonwon
Old
(Last edited by sonwon; 18th September 2014 at 04:41 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
Is it a non stock battery? I've always had issues with those reporting correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Usually I would buy a non stock battery however since this phone lays next to me in bed to wake me in the mornings I am a little concerned with a fire so it is a Samsung battery from Samsung. Leaving it unplugged for a bit and plugging it back in didn't work stop the battery drain. There are no processes eating the battery according to System Tuner so got to change the ROM.

Should I try a ROM first or kernel or both? Could it be an Xposed module, thinking about turning all of those hacks off?

I just remembered, this only happens if the screen is on and the phone is plugged into the charger. And rebooting doesn't clear the problem.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,990

DONATE TO ME
I would start with a stock based ROM. If it were me I'd go full stock rooted. But yeah I'd ditch xposed for now. You might even try reflashing your current ROM, factory resetting and this time don't use any exposed mods. If it still has problems, then try a different ROM.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to find xposed was the culprit. Its really cool, and the dev is amazing, but I prefer not to use it at all. IMO, it's much better to have the mods coded into the ROM itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sonwon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
I would start with a stock based ROM. If it were me I'd go full stock rooted. But yeah I'd ditch xposed for now. You might even try reflashing your current ROM, factory resetting and this time don't use any exposed mods. If it still has problems, then try a different ROM.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to find xposed was the culprit. Its really cool, and the dev is amazing, but I prefer not to use it at all. IMO, it's much better to have the mods coded into the ROM itself.

Thank you Doc, will do so and report back here the results.

drizze99
Old
Thanks Meter 77
My phone does the same thing now. My phone never did this when I first got it a couple years ago. I use GPS a lot because son plays on a travel hockey team. I could drive 3 - 4 hours away with the phone on and plugged in using the GPS without any issues. Now, my phone gets so hot in about an hour of the same type of use and it shuts down.

I thought that maybe there was something wrong with the phone because of age but now I see it could be something different.
Service: T-Mobile
Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII [T999]
ROM: Stock 4.3
Kernel: Stock
Modem: Stock
Launcher: Holo HD
Recovery: Stock

Device: Samsung Vibrant 1 [Retired] Device: Samsung Vibrant 2 [Sold]

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,990

DONATE TO ME
It very well could be age related, or it could be partially due to that too. But I'd do as I suggested above and run stock for a bit to test. If on a custom rom, and especially kernel, you could run into issues like that too.
If you have the same problem on stock, (and you're sure its not an app acting up), there's a very good possibility that its more of a hardware related issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sonwon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
And it is not the battery. I can't load stock until next weekend, need my phone for work.