Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,154 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Fixing digitizer

Tip us?

Ravenjolly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Fixing digitizer

Long story short, I had last Monday, managed to goof up and drop my phone about a foot or a foot and a half off the ground and lucky me it dropped on the corner and popped the digitizer. Multicolored awesomeness across the top, giant black hole on the top left corner and green going across like 80% of the screen on the side. It worked for a second, but then I set it down a bit too hard and it just stopped completely.

So, I've looked up a video on replacing it and it doesn't seem too terribly hard; the only issue is when I had replaced my IPod Touch(4th gen) screen I broke the power button and just left it broken because I didn't feel like fixing that because... off topic. Point is I really would like to not mess this replacement up.

I have no warranty
I am on the (bootleg xD) family mobile so upgrading isnt an option....
So, my questions are:
1.What are some reputable places, like ebay or could the wireless retailers do it?
2.Should I just attempt the repair myself and save a few bucks?

I looked on amazon for screen + digitizer and its all 120$+
I also called this one place near me and they said it would cost 175$...

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,053

DONATE TO ME
Most repair services will charge close to $200 last I looked. Id suggest buying a used device on ebay, maybe with a bad imei (all that matters is the display), then swap motherboards. Otherwise get an assembly that is already attached to the housing. This will save tons of work and potential mess ups.

The T999 motherboards will only fit in T999 or I747 housings. Do not buy a used Sprint or Verizon S3.

Ravenjolly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
Id suggest buying a used device on ebay, maybe with a bad imei (all that matters is the display), then swap motherboards.

The T999 motherboards will only fit in T999 or I747 housings. Do not buy a used Sprint or Verizon S3.
So, the ONLY thing needed replaced would be the mother board?
Would the T999 motherboard work with a I757 phone?

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,053

DONATE TO ME
If by replaced you mean swapped out with yours, yes. And your T999 motherboard will fit in either an I747 or T999 housing.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

You might choose to swap other components such as the vibrating motor, speaker, camera, etc, but thats up to you to decide if you want to test to find which is better.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ravenjolly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
[QUOTE=DocHoliday77;54995256] And your T999 motherboard will fit in either an I747 or T999 housing.[COLOR="Silver"]

Forgive me, I wasn't really clear with my last question.
So, for example: If I were to buy an I747 with a bad ESN, could i swap the motherboard with my T999?

I'm sorry if I am asking too much, I just want to make sure i get the right thing without spending too much.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,053

DONATE TO ME
Yes, if you replace the I747 motherboard with the T999 one, the device basically becomes a T999.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ravenjolly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for your patience Doc! I really appreciate it!

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,053

DONATE TO ME
No problem! Glad i could help!