Help! stuck at Samsung logo, can't get into recovery

OP richie_r1ch

31st August 2014, 07:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi, I'm having trouble booting after flashing the stock jelly bean rom 4.3 from tmobile. Right now it is just stuck on the Samsung logo. The problem may have been that I had installed the slimkat Kitkat rom and tried to go back to stock tmobile rom which was jelly bean. (stupid I know)

The second problem is that my volume up button is broken so I can't hold it long enough to boot into recovery. I am able to get into download mode and use odin if I get lucky and struggle with the up button but it only works in short bursts as it's damaged on the actual board and not the rocker.

Is there any other way I can get into recovery? I can't boot into the os so rebooting from there is out of the question. I'm running out of ideas now.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
31st August 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,395

9,095 posts
Donate to Me
More
Flashing stock was fine. Your roms version doesnt matter, its your base firnware that does. Whenever you go between tw and non-tw roms you have to factory reset or itll hang at boot, which is what is happening to you.
Since you flashed stock, i dont know if itll work or not, but if ADB is set up on your computer, connect while in download mode, open command prompt and type

Adb devices

This will start the service and tell you if its detected.
Next type

Adb reboot recovery

If thats not going to work, youre going to need to find a way to make an odin flashable cm rom (not sure if you can), or get the the volume button fixed.
I dont know of any other way to boot recovery if you cant boot your rom as well.
1st September 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77

Flashing stock was fine. Your roms version doesnt matter, its your base firnware that does. Whenever you go between tw and non-tw roms you have to factory reset or itll hang at boot, which is what is happening to you.
Since you flashed stock, i dont know if itll work or not, but if ADB is set up on your computer, connect while in download mode, open command prompt and type

Adb devices

This will start the service and tell you if its detected.
Next type

Adb reboot recovery

If thats not going to work, youre going to need to find a way to make an odin flashable cm rom (not sure if you can), or get the the volume button fixed.
I dont know of any other way to boot recovery if you cant boot your rom as well.

Thanks for the reply, I do have ADB set up but unfortunately when running the command on adb it's not finding any devices. Odin finds it ok. I also have the android toolkit but it looks like it only works if the phone boots into the os..
1st September 2014, 07:26 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Well I got it working now. Playing with a piece of tin foil around the volume up button finally let me hold it long enough to get into recovery. Wiping the cache got it all working properly again. thanks again.
1st September 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,395

9,095 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice fix man!

As for adb, I figured it wouldn't work, but was worth a shot in case I was wrong. Pretty sure that it requires an insecure kernel since it didnt work though.

And just remember in the future, every time you switch between TWO and nonTW roms you have to factory reset. Glad you got it working!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread