Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more
Post Reply

[Q] How do I retrieve Notational Acceleration notes from Kies3 backup of Galaxy S3?

OP maurelius83

21st August 2014, 04:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Here goes:

--Backed up wife's Galaxy S III (T999) in March, along with all app data, using Kies 3

--She was using an app called Notational Acceleration to keep a large number of notes, but no cloud sync

--T999 was replaced, due to water damage, with a Galaxy S III LTE (T999L)

--I figure the notes she made must be somewhere in the backup, so I found a file (com.kludgenics.android.notes-1.apk) that I thought might have them

--tried opening that file on her T999L and a different T999 and got the same message, "There is a problem parsing the package."

How can I find these notes in the backup? Am I looking in the wrong place? What other folders could they be in? I've tried emailing the developer but get no answer.

I greatly appreciate any help.
21st August 2014, 04:52 AM   |  #2  
TheLastSidekick's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,102
 
3,192 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
Wouldn't know where to find the notes but what you found was only the installer for app, the .apk no actual user information is there. The only place it would still have a possibility of being on is probably the phone unless Kies backs up Android data. You could try looking in the /Android/data folder. Alas, if it isn't there I think it is lost forever.

Sent from Tapatalk on Nexus 5
21st August 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSidekick

Wouldn't know where to find the notes but what you found was only the installer for app, the .apk no actual user information is there. The only place it would still have a possibility of being on is probably the phone unless Kies backs up Android data. You could try looking in the /Android/data folder. Alas, if it isn't there I think it is lost forever.

Sent from Tapatalk on Nexus 5

Thanks so much for responding.

I had a feeling the .apk was not the right place, I've used .apk files to install before. It was the only thing I could find that pointed to the app, so it was really wishful thinking. The original phone is back with t-mobile.

I just checked Kies 3, and it gives the option to back up the apps but not the app data; it doesn't seem like it's even possible to do with the program! I need to search for another backup program for Samsung phones, I'm used to complete backups with CWM on my nexus phones so I'm not used to having these problems. What terms do you suggest I use when searching for the ability to back up the /Android/data folder? Is that just considered "app data?"

I appreciate your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to maurelius83 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #4  
TheLastSidekick's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,102
 
3,192 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
When you open that folder on your phone you generally find names of some apps on your phone. I don't use CWM or Kies so I wouldn't know about either unfortunately.

Sent from Tapatalk on Nexus 5
21st August 2014, 06:16 AM   |  #5  
TheLastSidekick's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,102
 
3,192 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurelius83

Thanks so much for responding.

I had a feeling the .apk was not the right place, I've used .apk files to install before. It was the only thing I could find that pointed to the app, so it was really wishful thinking. The original phone is back with t-mobile.

I just checked Kies 3, and it gives the option to back up the apps but not the app data; it doesn't seem like it's even possible to do with the program! I need to search for another backup program for Samsung phones, I'm used to complete backups with CWM on my nexus phones so I'm not used to having these problems. What terms do you suggest I use when searching for the ability to back up the /Android/data folder? Is that just considered "app data?"

I appreciate your help.

Here's what you'd see in my Android/data

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408598169149.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  53.6 KB

You could try the sd card of the phone you have now assuming you didn't wipe it and it could be there. But if it isn't.. I'm afraid there's nothing further you can do.

Sent from Tapatalk on Nexus 5
22nd August 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSidekick

Here's what you'd see in my Android/data

Attachment 2905982

You could try the sd card of the phone you have now assuming you didn't wipe it and it could be there. But if it isn't.. I'm afraid there's nothing further you can do.

Sent from Tapatalk on Nexus 5

Thanks, I'll try that, though at this point I'm not expecting Kies to have actually saved anything that I'm looking for... 'Preciate your help!

As for the /Android/data folder, is data only located there if the app has root access? Because /Android/data is a root folder, correct?
22nd August 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #7  
TheLastSidekick's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,102
 
3,192 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurelius83

Thanks, I'll try that, though at this point I'm not expecting Kies to have actually saved anything that I'm looking for... 'Preciate your help!

As for the /Android/data folder, is data only located there if the app has root access? Because /Android/data is a root folder, correct?

It shouldn't be. It should be located in the Internal storage, or sd card. No problem, sorry about the loss of data. Hope it wasn't anything too important.

Sent from Tapatalk on Nexus 5

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in T-Mobile Galaxy S III Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank