No registration required

[Q] T-999 Won’t Dial or Receive Calls, Shows 4 Bars

OP cdhagan

22nd August 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
Samsung Galaxy S3 (T-999) stock, not making or receiving calls. Has been getting worse over the last 6-8 weeks. Now phone is almost unusable. Shows 4 bars of signal.

Phone says dialing, but never connects, no ringing sound. Sometimes after power cycling can make two or three calls. Often does not get data connection, though even when shows 4g cannot access data services. When others call, they go to vox mail. No ring or notification on phone. No error message.

Have tried several trouble shooting steps: Have tried different network modes. Have tired manually selecting T-Mobile. Have booted into safe mode. Have cleared the cache. Have done factory reset. Have tried different know good T-Mobile SIM card, and finally I replaced the SIM & SD Card Reader Module.

Nothing has had any effect, can anyone suggest a next step?
22nd August 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,487

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
Flash stock firmware and factory reset. If its still happening after that theres a good chance its hardware or network issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th September 2014, 03:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
In case anyone has a similar situation- flashed the factory ROM as DocHoliday77 suggested, but that still didn't fix the problem.

Had to send it off to Samsung for repair, who diagnosed a corrupted ESN and replaced the system board, (or PBA in Samsung speak).

Cost was $70, which also added a new 1 year warranty on the phone, and the customer service was excellent.
30th September 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 64

300 posts
More
I doubt they really replaced the board. Do you have a new IMEI/ESN number ?
3rd October 2014, 11:04 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag HuntsVegas!!!
Thanks Meter: 6,487

9,195 posts
Donate to Me
More
It actually wouldn't surprise me tbh. Its a much simpler process to swap a motherboard than to fix the IMEI/ESN problems! (I've done both, many times!)

I'd imagine, just for customer service sake, they would swap the board for a refurb and send it back. Then they can take their time getting around to fixing the original one. Then it would be come the refurb and the cycle of life continues!
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread