[MOD] OTA updates - keep root, custom recovery, unlocked bootloader and Google Wallet

Search This thread

cj64

Dec 26, 2007
Forgot to set permissions to "anyone with the link" for the unsigned VRBMB1 ota zip. Fixed.

cj64

Dec 26, 2007
Hi, just have a quick question, if I have MA2 rooted, no unlock, what's the best way to update to MB1? Thanks

You'll have to download and flash a full MB1 ROM. The modified OTA update zips are meant only to update stock builds, not leaked builds, that have been rooted, bootloader unlocked, custom recovery installed, Google Wallet and the associated NFC libraries installed, etc., since they are just the official OTA with some updater-script modifications.

Reactions: buhohitr

control1110

Oct 9, 2009
I am having an issue with my phone. I have been using your method to upgrade since the beginning. The other day I had an issue with my phone and had to restore a pervious backup I had which was pretty old (VRALHE). I know I should of back up more often but to late for that.

It works fine on VRALHE but then when I flash VRBLK3. All the google apps (maps, gmail, chrome, etc.) freezes the phone and causes it to restart.

The radio I have is VRBLK3 I don't know if it is an issue trying to flash to VRBLK3 while already having the new radio. Do I need to flash back to an older radio? If so does anyone have a link to download?

control1110

Oct 9, 2009
I am having an issue with my phone. I have been using your method to upgrade since the beginning. The other day I had an issue with my phone and had to restore a pervious backup I had which was pretty old (VRALHE). I know I should of back up more often but to late for that.

It works fine on VRALHE but then when I flash VRBLK3. All the google apps (maps, gmail, chrome, etc.) freezes the phone and causes it to restart.

The radio I have is VRBLK3 I don't know if it is an issue trying to flash to VRBLK3 while already having the new radio. Do I need to flash back to an older radio? If so does anyone have a link to download?

I had to do a full wipe to stock then re-rooted and installed all the updates. But after I installed VRAGL7 I lost the ability to turn on/off NFC in the settings menu.

The Option as completely disappeared. Any idea on what I can do here?

Last edited:

Ghost Protocol

Jul 1, 2012
New York
HSTechCorp.blogspot.com
You'll have to download and flash a full MB1 ROM. The modified OTA update zips are meant only to update stock builds, not leaked builds, that have been rooted, bootloader unlocked, custom recovery installed, Google Wallet and the associated NFC libraries installed, etc., since they are just the official OTA with some updater-script modifications.

Hello 'cj64'. You seem to know what you're talking about so I have a few questions for you so I DO NOT BRICK my phone. :crying:
First, let me tell you the current status of my phone. I was flashed to 'Wicked Sensation' and flashed back to Stock and remain ROOTED. Note... I am currently on Android Recovery.

1. Now, I would like to change my Recovery to TWRP Recovery, but how?
  2. If I was 'Unlocked' prior to flashing back to Stock ROM am I still 'Unlocked'?
P.S. ~ I would greatly appreciate 'Step-by-Step instructions. So I do not bother you and make any mistakes and BRICK my phone.

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply and assistance. :angel:

control1110

Oct 9, 2009
Hello 'cj64'. You seem to know what you're talking about so I have a few questions for you so I DO NOT BRICK my phone. :crying:
First, let me tell you the current status of my phone. I was flashed to 'Wicked Sensation' and flashed back to Stock and remain ROOTED. Note... I am currently on Android Recovery.

1. Now, I would like to change my Recovery to TWRP Recovery, but how?
  2. If I was 'Unlocked' prior to flashing back to Stock ROM am I still 'Unlocked'?
P.S. ~ I would greatly appreciate 'Step-by-Step instructions. So I do not bother you and make any mistakes and BRICK my phone.

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply and assistance. :angel:

Follow section 1 to root

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1762709

If you are already rooted and just need to unlock bootloader start at step 9

Ghost Protocol

Jul 1, 2012
New York
HSTechCorp.blogspot.com
Follow section 1 to root

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1762709

If you are already rooted and just need to unlock bootloader start at step 9

Hello Again and thank you for replying to my message. I really appreciate your prompt reply.

Just to be sure and let you know... I currently have "VRBMB1" Build. The link states that ~

*This works with all current Stock 4.0.4 ICS builds...VRALF2, VRALG1, VRALG7, VRALHD, and VRALHE.
With that being said... Is it safe for me to follow the steps in section one (1)? :confused:

Also, it seems that I am not ROOTED, because I tried the 'Unlock' step (In Section 9) and got a message stating to check if I am. It's weird, because when I clicked on 'Root Checker' it states that I am.

Last edited:

control1110

Oct 9, 2009
Hello Again and thank you for replying to my message. I really appreciate your prompt reply.

Just to be sure and let you know... I currently have "VRBMB1" Build. The link states that ~

*This works with all current Stock 4.0.4 ICS builds...VRALF2, VRALG1, VRALG7, VRALHD, and VRALHE.

With that being said... Is it safe for me to follow the steps in section one (1)? :confused:

Also, it seems that I am not ROOTED, because I tried the 'Unlock' step (In Section 9) and got a message stating to check if I am. It's weird, because when I clicked on 'Root Checker' it states that I am.

Here are instructions for Jellybean root.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1974114

salas2324

Jan 11, 2011
Houston
www.myascend.org

Maybe you didn't give the app permssion. Re install app, or wipe its Data and try again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ghost Protocol

Jul 1, 2012
New York
HSTechCorp.blogspot.com

Maybe you didn't give the app permssion. Re install app, or wipe its Data and try again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Hello Again.

This post is to let everyone know that I fixed my issue by following the steps ~ HERE.

Now, I am searching for a GOOD ROM that supports my Model number (SCH-I535) and Android version (4.1.2).

P.S. ~ Suggestions are very much welcomed! :cool:

bbolton_98

Mar 3, 2008
Pensacola
Samsung Galaxy S20
im running SynergyRom r443 unlocked boot and rooted but haven't installed wallet yet. Can I use this to update to current ota and still install wallet later if I wanted. or will it X cause problems without wallet already installed?
Or do you recommend odin to stock ota and then reunlock and root & flash nandroid backup.

Thanks for any guidance.

See the Galaxy sIII shine via SynergyRom

jmberumenb

Dec 31, 2007
El Paso
Is this update safe for my SCH-I535 for GSM Mode?

Hi

I just also download unsigned-d2vzw-JZO54K.I535VRBMB1-from-JRO03L.I535VRBLK3-ota-goo.gl-4G5Fs-v1

I know I had to rename to update.zip to apply the update, mine is the S3 Verizon running with the stock firmware.

But my main question is about this.....I use my S3 with an International GSM Sim card, I have APN Enabled (with HiAPN Global) with actually data running fine (in Edge speeds but running :laugh:) and my actual Non-Verizon Sim card fully working for calls and SMS/MMS, also my SCH-I535 is Rooted with SU updated. In resume, all the stuff I need to run GSM is here installed....

And my concern is...If is there a chance I will loose everything the mods for GSM working if I apply this update? Im using JRO03L.I535VRBLK3

Tanks en advance for your valuable help....

Last edited:

lepa71

Aug 25, 2010
Minneapolis
I'n wondering if some body can help me out. I have VZW S3 with I535VRALHE. I'm rooted, but not unlocked and don't have custom recovery installed. I just want to install the latest jb 4.1.2.

Should I just use ota files or v1? Which file should I use? Do I install it with odin or just put it on sd card, reboot into samsung recovery and install from sd card?

Thanks

samsgun357

May 3, 2012
I'n wondering if some body can help me out. I have VZW S3 with I535VRALHE. I'm rooted, but not unlocked and don't have custom recovery installed. I just want to install the latest jb 4.1.2.

Should I just use ota files or v1? Which file should I use? Do I install it with odin or just put it on sd card, reboot into samsung recovery and install from sd card?

Thanks

You'll have to use Odin. Stock recovery won't flash it and if you were to unroot and take the ota it would most likely update to 4.3. Hope that helps

Its only weird if it doesn't work!

Top Liked Posts