[RECOVERY LOCKED/NE1] Safestrap Recovery v4.11 B01 [2019 Sep 12]

Search This thread

afaneh92

Account currently disabled
Jul 31, 2012
VERIZON SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 (D2VZW)

PLEASE READ READ READENTIRE OP

"ALL MAJOR WORK DONE BY HASHCODE SO GO GIVE HIM SOM THANKS.DO NOT POST ANY BUG OR ISSUE COUSED BY THIS RECOVERY IN ORIGINAL THREAD BY HASHCODE, POST HERE AND I WILL HELP YOU."

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
BETA v4.11-B01 (NE1/KK)

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?
Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.6.1.0 (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (3-4 on the S3 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. NOTE: The bigger you make the /data partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
Requirement: Root
[Safestrap pre V4.07] Requirement: busybox. Grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.

Once installed, open up the Safestrap application, Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.

INSTALL VIDEO by DMX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZI...e_gdata_player
HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
Push the APK up to your sdcard.
Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
Open your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
Browse to where you pushed the APK
Click on it and install like normal
Once installed, open the APK, Grant SU access, Use the "Install Recovery" button.

KNOWN ISSUES:
- Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
- Busybox is now required for the Safestrap APK to work correctly

DOWNLOADS:
CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING A VERIZON WIRELESS SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 (d2vzw) [KITKAT:NE1]
NEW
LATEST FILE: Safestrap-D2VZW-4.11-B01.apk
androidfilehost
OLD
LATEST FILE: Unofficial-Safestrap-D2VZW-3.75-B05.apk
androidfilehost

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

Special Thanks To
@Hashcode , DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery. If you are considering a donation, then please have a look at the Team WIN website: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Last edited by a moderator:

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
CHANGELOG:
4.11-B01 [2019-09-12]
- TWRP updated to 3.3.1.
- Fix reboot function.
- Add reboot to safestrap button in reboot menu.
- Move Boot Options to advanced menu items.
- Fix CHARGER_BOOT detection.
- Fix datamedia mount.
- Add hijack-backup during image flashing.
- Update safestrap portrait theme.
- Update safestrap app to use topjohnwu's libsu & internal busybox (busybox app not needed anymore).
- Safestrap app: Update install recovery function.
See my github for more.
4.01-B03 [2016-03-29]
- USB OTG support.
4.01-B02 [2016-02-13]
- Fix brightness on Recovery.
4.01-B01 [2016-02-06]
- Update TWRP to version 3.0.0-0 full changes here

OLD
4.00-B02 [2015-11-22]
- Synced with latest TWRP commits.
- Remove read-only system.
- Remove screen timeout.
4.00-B01 [2015-08-13]
- Update TWRP recovery to 2.8.7.0 .
- Materialize Safestrap apk.
- Drop aosp support.
3.75-B05 [2015-02-02]
- Update TWRP recovery to 2.7.1.0 .
- Temporary fix for aroma installer.
3.75-B04 [2015-02-02]
- Add support to Omni ROM and fix sdcard on slot rom.
3.75-B03 [2015-01-15]
- Add support to AOSP on ROM slot (only) (this will load cm and slimkat ramdisk at boot)
3.75-B02 [2014-07-18]
- Fixed issue in TWRP recovey due to stock NE1 kernel framebuffer! (final fix)
all done by Hashcode
3.75-B01 [2014-06-26]
- Updated hijack for KK bugs
- Fixed ROM-SLOT support
- Fixed internal storage mount issue

Safestrap Recovery theme (Stock TWRP)
How to...
The theme zips are not flashable. First installation has to be done manually:
- Download the theme and rename it to "ui.zip".
- On SD card (if device has internal and external storage, use the internal) open TWRP folder and create a folder called "theme", without capital letters.
- Copy ui.zip to theme folder.
- Restart to recovery.

Safestrap Stock TWRP theme v4.00 B02.zip

Kitkat Custom ROM list work with Safstrap:
SUPERLITEROM! I535VRUDNE1
PaulPizz.VRUDNE1

Kernel modules
d2vzw-NE1-modules.zip

d2vzwpp-NF5-modules.zip

Last edited:

ruokuo

May 22, 2009
Does it mean I can flash kk based rom on one of the slots? If so, does it has to be TW based like the last version?

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Btw, will u give me instruction how to install ROM when it appear ?
And this ROM may have a basis like CM11 or it can be just KK ?
Thx.

Kitkat TW based rom only.
just creat a rom slot from boot menu in recovery, activate it, then flash the rom, reboot!

Last edited:

leroyinc

Jan 24, 2014
Kitkat based rom only.
just creat a rom slot from boot menu in recovery, activate it, then flash the rom, reboot!

will try.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Kitkat based rom only.

and can i add old radio which i need to work i-net and sms in that ROM ?
P.s sorry for my noob questions.

so has anybody been able to create a rom with dsixda's Android Kitchen and successfully been able to run the rom with this version of safstrap? I have deodexed a stock rom VRUDNE1 and tried flashing it and i get a successful flash but on boot up once it gets to the red verizon screen it just stays there. ive let it sit for over 30 mins and no luck. ive tried everything i can think of including rebuilding the rom....???? and i doing something wrong here?? Has anyone else had any luck?

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Kitkat based rom only.

Kit Kat touchwiz ROMs only. There are Kit Kat AOSP ROMs in the original development section. Noobs need to know they can't flash those through safestrap, only touchwiz ROMs

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: SlimSnoopOS

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
so has anybody been able to create a rom with dsixda's Android Kitchen and successfully been able to run the rom with this version of safstrap? I have deodexed a stock rom VRUDNE1 and tried flashing it and i get a successful flash but on boot up once it gets to the red verizon screen it just stays there. ive let it sit for over 30 mins and no luck. ive tried everything i can think of including rebuilding the rom....???? and i doing something wrong here?? Has anyone else had any luck?
Use archikitchen I had built one and it booted.
Clone archikitchen repo for last changes.
You need ubuntu or virtual on windows.
deodexe first test to know if its boot.
Then add root, bbx, and debloat with archi only. You can remove apk manualy.
Dont include the boot.img! Not neccessary
build with bbe command.

Last edited:

afaneh92

Jul 31, 2012
Kit Kat touchwiz ROMs only. There are Kit Kat AOSP ROMs in the original development section. Noobs need to know they can't flash those through safestrap, only touchwiz ROMs

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sorry for mismatch I forgot the two letters.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VERIZON SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 (D2VZW)

PLEASE READ READ READENTIRE OP

"ALL MAJOR WORK DONE BY HASHCODE SO GO GIVE HIM SOM THANKS.DO NOT POST ANY BUG OR ISSUE COUSED BY THIS RECOVERY IN ORIGINAL THREAD BY HASHCODE, POST HERE AND I WILL HELP YOU."

CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
    BETA v4.11-B01 (NE1/KK)

WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?
    Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.6.1.0 (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (3-4 on the S3 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. NOTE: The bigger you make the /data partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    Requirement: Root
    [Safestrap pre V4.07] Requirement: busybox. Grab "Busybox" from the Play Store and run the installer.

Once installed, open up the Safestrap application, Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.

INSTALL VIDEO by DMX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZI...e_gdata_player
    HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?

During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM".
    Press the button shown on the screen to either enter "RECOVERY" or "CONTINUE" booting (or the hard button underneath each option).

HOW DO I UPGRADE SAFESTRAP?
    Push the APK up to your sdcard.
    Boot back into the "stock" rom-slot.
    Open your old Safestrap app and use the "Uninstall Recovery" button
    Browse to where you pushed the APK
    Click on it and install like normal
    Once installed, open the APK, Grant SU access, Use the "Install Recovery" button.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    - Sometimes the installation doesn't work correctly. If you don't see the splashscreen after a rebooting. Install Safestrap again. (DEBUGGING THIS AS I GET TIME)
    - Busybox is now required for the Safestrap APK to work correctly

DOWNLOADS:
    CONFIRM THAT YOU ARE USING A VERIZON WIRELESS SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 (d2vzw) [KITKAT:NE1]
    NEW
    LATEST FILE: Safestrap-D2VZW-4.11-B01.apk
    androidfilehost
    OLD
    LATEST FILE: Unofficial-Safestrap-D2VZW-3.75-B05.apk
    androidfilehost

WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.

Special Thanks To
    @Hashcode , DeesTroy & TeamWin for all their hard work making TWRP such a fantastic recovery. If you are considering a donation, then please have a look at the Team WIN website: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
    CHANGELOG:
    4.11-B01 [2019-09-12]
    - TWRP updated to 3.3.1.
    - Fix reboot function.
    - Add reboot to safestrap button in reboot menu.
    - Move Boot Options to advanced menu items.
    - Fix CHARGER_BOOT detection.
    - Fix datamedia mount.
    - Add hijack-backup during image flashing.
    - Update safestrap portrait theme.
    - Update safestrap app to use topjohnwu's libsu & internal busybox (busybox app not needed anymore).
    - Safestrap app: Update install recovery function.
    See my github for more.
    4.01-B03 [2016-03-29]
    - USB OTG support.
    4.01-B02 [2016-02-13]
    - Fix brightness on Recovery.
    4.01-B01 [2016-02-06]
    - Update TWRP to version 3.0.0-0 full changes here

OLD
    4.00-B02 [2015-11-22]
    - Synced with latest TWRP commits.
    - Remove read-only system.
    - Remove screen timeout.
    4.00-B01 [2015-08-13]
    - Update TWRP recovery to 2.8.7.0 .
    - Materialize Safestrap apk.
    - Drop aosp support.
    3.75-B05 [2015-02-02]
    - Update TWRP recovery to 2.7.1.0 .
    - Temporary fix for aroma installer.
    3.75-B04 [2015-02-02]
    - Add support to Omni ROM and fix sdcard on slot rom.
    3.75-B03 [2015-01-15]
    - Add support to AOSP on ROM slot (only) (this will load cm and slimkat ramdisk at boot)
    3.75-B02 [2014-07-18]
    - Fixed issue in TWRP recovey due to stock NE1 kernel framebuffer! (final fix)
    all done by Hashcode
    3.75-B01 [2014-06-26]
    - Updated hijack for KK bugs
    - Fixed ROM-SLOT support
    - Fixed internal storage mount issue

Safestrap Recovery theme (Stock TWRP)
    How to...
    The theme zips are not flashable. First installation has to be done manually:
    - Download the theme and rename it to "ui.zip".
    - On SD card (if device has internal and external storage, use the internal) open TWRP folder and create a folder called "theme", without capital letters.
    - Copy ui.zip to theme folder.
    - Restart to recovery.

Safestrap Stock TWRP theme v4.00 B02.zip

Kitkat Custom ROM list work with Safstrap:
    SUPERLITEROM! I535VRUDNE1
    PaulPizz.VRUDNE1

Kernel modules
    d2vzw-NE1-modules.zip

d2vzwpp-NF5-modules.zip
    SCH-I535PP is a copy of SCH-I535 so it will work on yours.
    Just wanted to commend you for all your hard work and for making this for our long in the tooth, Samsung Galaxy S3's.
    It amazing how much better these legacy devices are with safe straps and unlocked Bootloaders to enable ROM installation all thanks to the development on xda.

Not even my Verizon LG G4 has this possibility at this time and maybe never will.

Getting back to the S3, even though it's considered a backup phone, with your ROM safe strapped it is fully working and the best Rom I've tried so far for the device.

Just wanted to say that, thank you, thank you, thank you many times over. Keep up the amazing work.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Ahhh.... this is probably it.

Looks like there are three partitions that you can adjust per ROM slot:

System size
    Data size
    Cache size

From what I can see, the minimum partition size allowed by Safestrap allows for data and chache is 1GB and 300MB respectively. The system size is 1.5GB and cannot be adjusted (at least pressing "+/-" does nothing to adjust the size of the system partition.

Safestrap reports my current "Free Space" @ 525 MB so even if ROM Slot 1 is dialed back to its minimum size (which would equate to 2.8GB), I still don't have enough room to add a new slot. I believe the S3 has an internal storage size of 32GB. How much storage are most people taking up with their Stock ROM? Is the most efficient way to reduce the Stock ROM size to remove apps or are their other "tricks" people are using?

smithmal

I will reduce minimum system size to 1G in next build.
    Most d2vzw devices are 16GB.
    I will fix my device soon.
    This will support cyanogenmod 11 and slimkat till now and the latest builds ( old builds will boot but with black screen).
    -Uninstall safestrap from apk.
    -Uninstall the apk.
    -Install Unofficial-Safestrap-D2VZW-3.75-B03.apk.
    -Flash the rom on the slot if you want to load the proper ramdisk, other wise rom will be more buggy.