Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,847 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Google Voice on your Verizon GS3

Tip us?

Tru7h
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default [GUIDE] Google Voice on your Verizon GS3

So, you want visual voicemail without having to pay the $2.99/month for it?
The answer is already here, it's called Google Voice.

I'm going to show you how to set up Google Voice and visual voicemail on your Verizon Galaxy S 3.

Step 1: Get a Google Voice number. It's free and all you need to do is go to voice.google.com
Follow the steps shown on Google Voice. Yes, you need to authenticate with an existing phone number
before they give you a Google Voice phone number.

Step 2: Once you have your GV number, I recommend removing any voicemails on your Verizon voicemail mailbox.

Step 3: On Google Voice on your computer click on the gear icon and open settings. Uncheck the boxes for forwarding,
Click on Groups & Circles.
Click on the edit button for all contacts and uncheck the boxes labeled Ring my: Mobile (or landline) and Google Talk.
Click on the edit button for anonymous callers and uncheck those boxes too. The reason for this is to make sure callers
are sent straight to voicemail if you don't pick up.
Check attachments for what to uncheck.

Step 4: Download and install Google Voice from the play store. :/ can't link it.

Step 5: I like to use the default dialer and my own cell minutes for outgoing calls, but if you want to use your GV number
for outgoing calls you can select that.
Check attachments for options.

Step 6: Now you are going to change your voicemail to Google Voice in the dialer app. Open the dialer, hit the menu button and tap settings,
tap voicemail, tap Service and choose Google Voice. You will see a warning, ignore it for now because we'll take care of
that in the next step.

Step 7: Now you are going to dial some phone numbers to set up the forward on no answer system. Where you see [GV number]
Insert the phone number Google gave you. When you dial these numbers Verizon will automatically hang up on you... jerks.
Numbers to dial:
*71[GV Number]
*90[GV Number]
*92[GV Number]

Step 8: You should now have Google Voice set up so that whenever anybody calls you and it would normally go to Verizon's voicemail
service they will now automatically be forwarded to Google Voice and leave a voicemail there. Go and test it with another
phone.

Steps to remove Google Voice. If for whatever reason you want to remove Google Voice and use Verizon's voicemail just follow these steps.

Step 1: You have already disabled forwarding in Google Voice. This feature sends callers from your GV number to any forwarding phones you set.

Step 2: Open the android dialer, hit the menu button, scroll down to Voicemail, tap it, tap services, and choose your carrier/verizon depending on your rom.

Step 3: Dial *73. Doing this removes the call forwarding settings we did earlier. Dial *86 to make sure you can connect to your voicemail.

If I helped you, consider dropping a few bit cents in my can: 1oWLWPfJYSzvAKSRjxs3JHaKrTjGkySSY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-04-09-12-41-24.jpg
Views:	11521
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1870269   Click image for larger version

Name:	forwarding unchecked.jpg
Views:	2900
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1870270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 12.38.00 PM.png
Views:	2739
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1870271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 12.38.13 PM.png
Views:	2756
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1870273  
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Tru7h For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kidhudi
Old
Thanks Meter 80
so question.. does this mean you will never receive a direct phone call and just have a bunch of voice messages?

Tru7h
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhudi View Post
so question.. does this mean you will never receive a direct phone call and just have a bunch of voice messages?
Nope, when you dial the 3 numbers in step 7 you change the default action on no answer. By default Verizon sends a no answer phone call to the Verizon voicemail service and when you dial the 3 numbers you change that action to instead forward to GV's voicemail service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tru7h For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kidhudi
Old
Thanks Meter 80
thanks bro i will test it out. peace

ftkatyowser
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default ifaxter Schools

I've used googe voice for over a year and love it. You can have transcripts of your voicemails forwarded to your e-mail (though they aren't always accurate). I have found that if someone gets to your vzw mailbox somehow, you have to deactivate GV to get to your vzw mailbox.

Not really sure what the point of a guide is, though... if I remember right, google voice walks you through and sets everything up for you, so there isn't a need for the steps to not forward an answer system and all that jazz. I think i only had to call one number to have it all set up.

putney1477
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Google voice is awesome. I have been using it for a few years now. I never have to listen to a voicemail again.
I love how Google transcribes the message for me. Its not always 100% accurate but I get the gist of it.
Sent from my SGS3

808armada
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yup, Google Voice made things easier now.

leucrota
Old
(Last edited by leucrota; 11th April 2013 at 08:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Trying this out now, OP. I hope it works since I have had Google Voice for a while, but just got a Verizon phone and it wouldn't let me link the accounts before.

Edit: This definitely works!
Current device:
Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-I535)

Past Device(s);
ATT Go Pantech P7040p

golfinglenn
Old
Thanks Meter 43
One thing I really like about it and have been using it for years, in setup it will ask you if you want to use your mobile number, or your gv number, or you can set it to ask you each time. I have it ask, as that prevents accidental dialing. I have it send the transcribed messages to my sms, but they are seldom accurate, but accurate enough that I get the idea of what the call is like lol. It's 2013 google, transcription should be darn near 100%.......jmo.

Glenn

mikec86
Old
Thanks Meter 45
When this fowards to your google voice does it use your minutes?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app