[Q] XBMC/Kodi for Android

Search This thread

bobgodd

Jan 26, 2009
Similar to how you can run OpenELEC or Raspbmc on a Raspberry Pi, and have an OS completely dedicated to XBMC, is there a ROM out there that anyone knows of that I can install on my old GS3 that would perform the same functions? Or if not a dedicated ROM, maybe a bare-minimum ROM that I can run XBMC on and leave it running?

I use a Raspberry Pi as a home media center and while it works just fine, it's a bit under-powered and lags when browsing through some of the XBMC addons. Since XBMC and some of the custom builds (including addons) run just fine on Android, I'd like to use my old GS3 as a dedicated media center.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

dougietee

Mar 27, 2012
London
Similar to how you can run OpenELEC or Raspbmc on a Raspberry Pi, and have an OS completely dedicated to XBMC, is there a ROM out there that anyone knows of that I can install on my old GS3 that would perform the same functions? Or if not a dedicated ROM, maybe a bare-minimum ROM that I can run XBMC on and leave it running?

I use a Raspberry Pi as a home media center and while it works just fine, it's a bit under-powered and lags when browsing through some of the XBMC addons. Since XBMC and some of the custom builds (including addons) run just fine on Android, I'd like to use my old GS3 as a dedicated media center.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Did you ever have any luck finding anything? I'm planning on doing exactly the same thing.
I'm thinking maybe even just rooting and flashing Cyanogen will offer a decent starting point for a compromise of sorts. I can handle not having a dedicated system like OSMC but being able to boot straight into kodi would be good, as would having all other unnecessary processes disabled.

I don't think CEC -> HDMI remote control would work from what I've read but Kore app works ok.

Last edited: