FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]

1,438 posts
Thanks Meter: 779

By ThePagel, Senior Member on 27th December 2013, 05:13 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
THIS WILL WORK ONLY IF YOU CAN GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE (Odin mode) if you bricked your bootloader try HERE

Who can benefit from this?
  • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 then tried to downgrade resulting in a soft brick
  • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 and somehow lost there recovery or follow restoring stock recovery instructions HERE
  • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 but failed with access to download mode
  • Anyone who wants 4.3 but for some reason can not OTA
  • Anyone who took the NC1 update (new 4.3) and wants to revert to ML1 (old 4.3 with saferoot and safestrap support)
Linux and Mac users must follow the Odin method using the correct PIT file (found at the bottom of the op) and substitue Odin with Jodin3 found HERE and spam AdamOutler thanks button for making Jodin3

WARNING! UPDATING TO 4.3 WILL RESULT IN A LOCKED BOOTLOADER FOREVER!!

4.3 with Odin

How to enter Download Mode
  • Make sure your device is completely off
  • Hold Volume Down + Home
  • While holding both of them simultaneously press the Power button until you see the disclaimer on the screen
  • Then let go of all the buttons and press Volume Up
================================================== ===================================
  1. Download and extract Odin <--- New link 1/23/14
  2. Download and extract ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low _ship.tar.md5.7z (official old 4.3 tar ball) or ALL_I535VRUCNC1_I535VZWCNC1_2198062_REV09_user_low _ship.tar.md5.7z (official new 4.3 tar ball)
  3. Download kies and install as administrator. make sure the [Unified Driver Installer] check box is checked at the end of the install (Might take some time)
    Windows Kies Here
    Mac Kies Here
  4. Enter Download Mode
  5. Make sure Kies is closed then plug in your phone and wait for drivers to install
  6. Open Odin As administrator
  7. You should see your phone under ID:COM (you should also see it has been added in message)
  8. Make sure only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time is checked
  9. Check PDA [ ]
  10. Click on [PDA] And select the .tar file you just extracted (Only use PDA Never use the others)
  11. Wait for it to verify the MD5 then click [Start]

From here on out its all automated Odin will Flash SCH-I535_I535VRUCML1 then restart (dont forget first boot takes time)

If you get stuck in a boot loop go into recovery and do a factory reset (probably should regardless)

4.3 With Verizon Utility [will always push the most recent firmware atm 4.4.2 and you will not be able to go back to 4.3] (Windows only for now)

How to enter Download Mode
  • Make sure your device is completely off
  • Hold Volume Down + Home
  • While holding both of them simultaneously press the Power button until you see the disclaimer on the screen
  • Then let go of all the buttons and press Volume Up
================================================== ===================================
  1. Download and unzip
    Windows SUA_ar.zip <--- New Link
    Mac SUA_ar.zip
  2. Open SUA_ar folder
  3. Install SUABnRSetup as administrator (might take some time and may not be nessesary)
  4. Download kies and install as administrator. make sure the [Unified Driver Installer] check box is checked at the end of the install (Might take some time)
    Windows Kies Here
    Mac Kies Here
  5. Make sure Kies is closed then go into download mode and plug into your pc (hold here until drivers install)
  6. Run SUA.exe as administrator
  7. Click on [Repair Assistant] (on the left)
  8. Click on run [Repair Assistant] (on the bottom)
  9. After repair assistant recognizes your phone click [Repair Galaxy S(R) III] (on the right side)

It will say "Due to the condition of your phone/tablet, all data will need to be erased during the repair."

10. Click [continue]
From here on out its all automated it will download and install SCH-I535_I535VRUCML1 then restart (dont forget first boot takes time)

If you get stuck at 84% try THIS

If you get stuck in a boot loop go into recovery and do a factory reset (probably should regardless)

If you keep failing it might be because you have bad partitions. Download the pit file that matches your phone (16gb S3 use the 16gb pit file or 32gb S3 use the 32gb pit file) Follow the Odin instructions with the addition of your pit file By clicking [PIT] in Odin. Or try this fix Here

As long as things went smooth you should be back on 4.3 ready to take on the world!

Want root on 4.3? Use saferoot (ML1) HERE or towelroot (ML1/NC1) HERE Remember you are on a locked bootloader. You can not flash insecure bootloader, roms or custom recovery.
Last edited by ThePagel; 3rd July 2014 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Update
The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to ThePagel For This Useful Post: [ View ]

27th December 2013, 06:10 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
awesome. I had given up and was just waiting for the 4.3 tar
I'm really hoping this works since you had the exact same symptoms as me
Thanks in advance!
27th December 2013, 07:37 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 779

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangeon

awesome. I had given up and was just waiting for the 4.3 tar
I'm really hoping this works since you had the exact same symptoms as me
Thanks in advance!

I was waiting as well, But I was about to chuck my Droid x against a wall. Another funny thing is right before I tried this my phone got sudden death syndrome (power button stayed compressed so every time battery is put in it automatically tuns on then off ). Luckily slamming my phone against the table wasn't a internet troll and it got fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePagel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th December 2013, 07:49 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagel

I was waiting as well, But I was about to chuck my Droid x against a wall. Another funny thing is right before I tried this my phone got sudden death syndrome (power button stayed compressed so every time battery is put in it automatically tuns on then off ). Luckily slamming my phone against the table wasn't a internet troll and it got fixed.

Bro I hate my Droid X. I sent my phone out today to have it JTAG to 4.3 and hours later this came out LOL. Good job bro!!!!
27th December 2013, 07:59 AM |#5  

More
I got it working

Thanks so much!
27th December 2013, 09:05 AM |#6  

More
You are a life saver. Thank you!
27th December 2013, 12:37 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 468

More
Good to see that some folks can resurrect their device now. A locked but working phone is certainly better than no phone at all.

Awesome work ThePagel!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
27th December 2013, 12:58 PM |#8  

More
I signed up just to say thank you. I decided to go for broke and take my phone into Verizon just to see what they said and they suggested I upgrade to a new phone. I'm sure they could have performed this for me, but I'm glad I did it myself. Once again, thank you.
27th December 2013, 01:07 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2,084

More
Couple things, when you redo the OP could you make sure to detail what scenario would lead you to using this tool? Maybe make that a little clearer.

Also, we don't have a bootloader to boot directly into like say HTC devices. Samsung let's you boot into recovery or download mode. Download Mode may be an equivalent term to "bootloader" for other devices but it may be confusing to new S3 users down the road. Cheers!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
27th December 2013, 01:48 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 5,467

More
@ThePagel I PMd you. I will go ahead and post a mirror for the SUA_ar.zip here. You can move this link to the OP. Once everyone wakes up they are gonna shut down your dropbox for excessive traffic.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199403
Last edited by prdog1; 27th December 2013 at 01:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prdog1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th December 2013, 02:02 PM |#11  
Flag Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Would this work on a phone that wasn't bricked but you wanted to just restore it to pristine stock 4.3? (a sort of "oh crap, I accidentally deleted a bunch of system APKs - how do I get those back?!" moment)

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brick, gs3, gsiii, soft brick
Previous Thread Next Thread