Bricked Recovery

6th July 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Greetings,
I recently rooted my Verizon 4.4.2 S3 using TowelRoot. (SCH-I535) Afterward I attempted to flash TWRP using ODIN. I kept getting an error message when flashing. I think tried TWRP Manager. I selected the proper IMG and flashed. It said flash successful. When I enter recovery I receive a LARGE yellow caution triangle with the message, "System Software not Authorized by Verizon Wireless has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest VW store for help."
I attempted to flash the factory recovery (Verizon-SCH-I535-StockRecovery.tar) using ODIN. It says the flash is successful but I still receive the same error message. My flash counter is at zero. Any idea how I can either get my factory Recovery back or get a functional recovery?
Thanks so much!
6th July 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 113

335 posts
More
The bootloader is locked on 4.4.2 which makes having a custom recovery impossible. Try to flash the full NE1 image in ODIN. Here's the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2795659
7th July 2014, 02:00 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattsNotIncld

The bootloader is locked on 4.4.2 which makes having a custom recovery impossible. Try to flash the full NE1 image in ODIN. Here's the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2795659

Thanks. I ended up using the Verizon repair tool which actually did a pretty good job. It put 4.4.2 back on unfortunetly. After that it was Towel Root then TiBu restore. So is safe strap the only way around the locked bootloader? Can I JTAG?
8th July 2014, 05:11 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 113

335 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbordr

Thanks. I ended up using the Verizon repair tool which actually did a pretty good job. It put 4.4.2 back on unfortunetly. After that it was Towel Root then TiBu restore. So is safe strap the only way around the locked bootloader? Can I JTAG?

Yes safestrap is the only way around. Unfortunately you can only flash NE1 based ROMs via safestrap and there aren't any custom ones out yet that I know of. I believe the devs need kernel source released before whipping up some updated ROMs with the new base.

Regarding JTAG the guys at mobiletechvideos apparently found a way to downgrade the s3 to the 4.1.2 firmware which would allow you to unlock your bootloader again. I have not heard of anyone on here that has tried that service, though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread