[Q] Cannot Send Text Messages on new carrier

OP admc6

19th August 2014, 07:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
So here's my situation.
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 I535 I have been using on Verizon's network for about 2 years. I am switching to a local carrier that shares towers with Verizon. I am trying to use my I535 on the local carrier. I got a SIM card from the local carrier, put that in my phone and I can make calls and receive text messages but not send them.

In order to attempt to resolve this issue I planned to Wipe the phone and put a custom ROM on to ensure that none of Verizon's software or settings is preventing the texting from working. Problem is I am running KitKat version 4.4.2 that has Verizon's bootloader lock.

I got the phone rooted via Towelroot and CW ROM Manager installed. (rebooted into recovery mode got the "Verizon found unauthorized software yada yada." Got the phone back to a "normal" state with 4.4.2 rooted.)

My questions are:
1. Do you think putting a custom ROM on the phone will resolve my ability to send text messages?

2. Texting works on these same towers using Verizon. Can the backend hardware at Verizon allow the phone to work properly, but not the local carrier? (I have verified Local carrier Galaxy S3 is a different model number)

3. Is it possible to overwrite the bootloader/rom via ODIN

4. Is it possible to brick a phone so bad that you cant even reload the default OS via ODIN
19th August 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 760

3,821 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by admc6

So here's my situation.
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 I535 I have been using on Verizon's network for about 2 years. I am switching to a local carrier that shares towers with Verizon. I am trying to use my I535 on the local carrier. I got a SIM card from the local carrier, put that in my phone and I can make calls and receive text messages but not send them.

In order to attempt to resolve this issue I planned to Wipe the phone and put a custom ROM on to ensure that none of Verizon's software or settings is preventing the texting from working. Problem is I am running KitKat version 4.4.2 that has Verizon's bootloader lock.

I got the phone rooted via Towelroot and CW ROM Manager installed. (rebooted into recovery mode got the "Verizon found unauthorized software yada yada." Got the phone back to a "normal" state with 4.4.2 rooted.)

My questions are:
1. Do you think putting a custom ROM on the phone will resolve my ability to send text messages?

2. Texting works on these same towers using Verizon. Can the backend hardware at Verizon allow the phone to work properly, but not the local carrier? (I have verified Local carrier Galaxy S3 is a different model number)

3. Is it possible to overwrite the bootloader/rom via ODIN

4. Is it possible to brick a phone so bad that you cant even reload the default OS via ODIN

1. Sounds to me like it's not sim unlocked.

2. A custom rom may or may not work in this case, if your on the 4.4.2 OTA your limited to two current roms other than stock using safestrap, disregard the custom rom part

3. The bootloader is locked so once again your limited

4. And yes you could very well hard brick the phone while not doing something correctly

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
20th August 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapesBlue

1. Sounds to me like it's not sim unlocked.

2. A custom rom may or may not work in this case, if your on the 4.4.2 OTA your limited to two current roms other than stock using safestrap, disregard the custom rom part

3. The bootloader is locked so once again your limited

4. And yes you could very well hard brick the phone while not doing something correctly

Thanks for the Reply

1. I called Verizon when I was planning to switch. They told me my phone is unlocked to use on any carrier. They also gave me the code '000000' if it isn't unlocked. I never received an error message or a place to put an unlock code when using the new SIM. Do you have a link I can reference to ensure that it is unlocked? I have done several searches and haven't found anything that works. There are several that say to type in secret code *#XXXX# but my phone just attempts to make a call and says "not a valid number". Any help is appreciated.

2. Are you saying that i would be able to put a custom ROM on like Jelly 'Beans' or Clean ROM? If yes, can you post a link for that as well? I have done some extensive searching and most of the results applied to phones that were pre 4.4.x release.
20th August 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 760

3,821 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by admc6

Thanks for the Reply

1. I called Verizon when I was planning to switch. They told me my phone is unlocked to use on any carrier. They also gave me the code '000000' if it isn't unlocked. I never received an error message or a place to put an unlock code when using the new SIM. Do you have a link I can reference to ensure that it is unlocked? I have done several searches and haven't found anything that works. There are several that say to type in secret code *#XXXX# but my phone just attempts to make a call and says "not a valid number". Any help is appreciated.

2. Are you saying that i would be able to put a custom ROM on like Jelly 'Beans' or Clean ROM? If yes, can you post a link for that as well? I have done some extensive searching and most of the results applied to phones that were pre 4.4.x release.

I honestly know nothing about sim unlocking. If it's on 4.3 or 4.4 and it took the OTA your very very limited to what roms you can flash.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread