Ask a question

No registration required

StraightTalk SCH-968C info

OP rixter13

3rd December 2014, 07:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 14

43 posts
I am basing this thread on "[Q] How To Root the Straight Talk SCH-S968C Samsung Galaxy S III" (the latter portion of it)

Hey all, creating a new thread on this as it has blew up in the past couple of days and got the original thread all sorts of off topic. I am sharing my findings here in hopes that it will help others get Lollipop running on their StraightTalk S3 (or KK roms based off of CM after the 9/7 updates).

First a little history. Before the unified roms I was running d2vzw LiquidSmooth without any issue, then in late Feburary (2/26) the S3Unified rom was built, putting the correct rilblobs in /system/lib upon boot (if I am reading the code right that is). This was when I noticed that the Unified rom broke the S3 ST phone (no data), so I spent a couple of days researching and learning how to build roms and came up with this commit to LiquidSmooth, I noticed a few days later that it was pulled into the CM source, so all roms were back to working with our phone. I also vaguely remember something with rilblobs needing reverted around this time. So at this time, everything was working, up until the 9/7 CM updates where the rilblobs were once again changed. I worked with one of the CM devs (invisablek) on this issue and we were never really able to figure out what the issue was, the radio was throwing all sorts of odd error messages and would never connect. During that time there was enough of a change that even the old rilblobs wouldn't work (spent about a week worth of evenings trying to no avail). So I ended up giving up until 5.0 hit.

Yesterday I came across a d2lte CM12 build! Flashed it and was quite impressed to see everything working except mobile (both calling and data). In that thread I ran across the first linked thread here and seen that inserting a sim card seemed to work, so I hit up a coworker (on AT&T) and asked him if I could borrow his sim. He agreed, so I pulled the battery, popped in the sim and was AMAZED to see mobile working again, did a test call, browsed on 3g, and everything was working quite well. Got home last night and found an old (deactivated) sim card in my basement, popped it and have ran CM12 all day. Hooked it up to the bluetooth head unit in the car, setup a second account for my son, taken a few pictures, everything seems to be working fine.

One thing that has bugged me for a while (which I rarely use) was that MMS stopped working (not sure exactly when, but I'd guess back on 2/26), so I spent some time today pulling apart files, modifying things, and really haven't gained much (at least for the stock MMS). I did get hangouts working as MMS by adding an apn (Hangouts -> Settings -> SMS -> SMS Enabled, then scroll to the bottom and click on Access Point Names, Add one with the following settings Name Verizon Internet, MMSC http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms MMS proxy and port are blank, MCC 311 and MNC 480 ). I haven't completely given up on the stock messenger app, but I am done with it tonight.

Here are the things I have done so far:
Modified build prop to include TracFone Settings
added apns-conf.xml to /system/etc (and modified it a few times)
a few different apps to change APN settings (seems like all of them fail)

If anyone wants, my wifes S3 hasn't been touched, so I can get any of the 4.1.2 rom files from it if its helpful to anyone. I did run across this but I haven't had time to try it yet, and I ran across another page where they modified the messenger.apk and changed some of the apn settings in there (definitely interested in looking into this).

Also to clarify, what I believe is happening here with the sim card is this, Verizon updated their RIL's to require a SIM (make sense since they use 4G), and if it doesn't find one it shuts down the radio in the phone, so until ST updates their RIL's, we will probably be stuck. It might be interesting to see if some could 'emulate' having a sim card in using a 3rd party app (its well beyond my programming capabilities I am afraid).

Sorry for my rambling, but I hope this has been helpful to someone, and I am hopeful that this will take off and let the ROOTING thread go back to helping people root . Please post any other SCH-968C findings you have here, maybe we can get a good collection of information in one place.

RiXtEr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rixter13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th December 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #2  
Flag Rockingham NC
Thanks Meter: 147

693 posts
More
@rixter13 so you're telling us that what we already suspected was true, we have figured out that the verizon device the roms are for requires a SIM so that's why we needed it also, we have suspected that the rom is trying to drive our device the same way it does the verizon, now, how do we remove the 4g function from the ROM so it bypasses needing the SIM or 4g function and just go straight for 3g as our phones normally would? or how do we mod the stock MMS apk so it plays nice with our 3g
also I consulted with motorhead at AA51 and explained what was happening with the roms on our device and he mentioned that the rils were gonna be a b****h, we've all been digging at this trying to get it surrounded, we've approached from every angle we can think of, its to the point that its gonna take some dev to fix
or call straight talk and get them to enter the APNs because they can't be entered manually on straight talk so we need a volunteer to call them and see if them doing the APNs will fix our issue, I have a feeling it won't because if the sim is required for the rom to work then even if the APNs are done by straight talk the SIM might mess that up because with the SIM in the system pulls the APNs from the SIM, so what is on the SIM might wipe out the APNs that straight talk enters from their end. I've stopped trying to think like the phone and started trying to think like the ROM, its gonna follow its programming unless we change the ROM, I no longer think the data tricks and edits are gonna work unless the ROM is cracked open and things for our phone spliced in and the verizon stuff taken out. Can this be done?
Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
Last edited by N_psycho_PD_uh?; 4th December 2014 at 01:59 AM.
4th December 2014, 02:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

43 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_psycho_PD_uh?

@rixter13 so you're telling us that what we already suspected was true, we have figured out that the verizon device the roms are for requires a SIM so that's why we needed it also, we have suspected that the rom is trying to drive our device the same way it does the verizon, now, how do we remove the 4g function from the ROM so it bypasses needing the SIM or 4g function and just go straight for 3g as our phones nornally would? or how do we mod the stock MMS apk so it plays nice with our 3g

Well, unless StraightTalk (or someone else) comes out with android 4.4.4 rilblobs that don't force a SIM check we are stuck with the SIM card hack. The cm patches from 9/3/14 on are what caused our phones radio's to stop working properly.

As for the MMS issues, I haven't yet had the time to dig through the code to see what changed where (I am assuming I would be looking for a pre Unified commit 2/26 or around that time). I will try to tear apart that apk and look around in there for a smoking gun, but currently my PC is dead (lightening wiped out my motherboard) and I don't have any android tools on my wifes machine. So it may be a few days before I can get that done.

I will keep you posted on any progress (or lack thereof) on this, if anyone tries anything in this area (even if it doesn't work) I'd like to know about it so we don't waste more time running down the wrong path.
4th December 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #4  
Flag Rockingham NC

693 posts
More
how about we have everybody pull logs, would that help?

4th December 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

43 posts
Quote:

how about we have everybody pull logs, would that help?

So the radio logs often have the IMEI number in them, so we need to be careful there posting them, I can pull logs from a VM I have on my work computer and compare them to my wifes 'virgin' ST S3.
4th December 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #6  
Flag Rockingham NC

693 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixter13

Well, unless StraightTalk (or someone else) comes out with android 4.4.4 rilblobs that don't force a SIM check we are stuck with the SIM card hack. The cm patches from 9/3/14 on are what caused our phones radio's to stop working properly.

As for the MMS issues, I haven't yet had the time to dig through the code to see what changed where (I am assuming I would be looking for a pre Unified commit 2/26 or around that time). I will try to tear apart that apk and look around in there for a smoking gun, but currently my PC is dead (lightening wiped out my motherboard) and I don't have any android tools on my wifes machine. So it may be a few days before I can get that done.

I will keep you posted on any progress (or lack thereof) on this, if anyone tries anything in this area (even if it doesn't work) I'd like to know about it so we don't waste more time running down the wrong path.

so users with non SIM compatable devices are screwed, I've got 4.4.4 on my KFHD7 and my S2E4GT and neither one of them are SIM compatable so how do they run 4.4.4 without one?

wait! let me guess, those devices have an internal SIM?

so you're saying that even if we strip all the verizon stuff we'll still need the SIM for anything 4.4.4 and up?
there's even a 5.0 for the S2E4GT
Last edited by N_psycho_PD_uh?; 4th December 2014 at 02:39 AM.
4th December 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

43 posts
Quote:

so users with non SIM compatable devices are screwed, I've got 4.4.4 on my KFHD7 and my S2E4GT and neither one of them are SIM compatable so how do they run 4.4.4 without one?

wait! let me guess, those devices have an internal SIM?

Not exactly, you are comparing separate things here. Are either of those verizon phones? Also do they have a 'unified' build? If you look above at some of the commits for the d2lte unified build that I posted earlier, the proprietary file list changed around that time, which is where things like the gps, radio, camera, and barometer (along with other hardware specific) 'drivers' come from. We can go back and branch off of the cm build from early September which still uses the 4.1.2 rils from ST, but we would also have to modify certain other things that have changed from that point on to get to where CM is today. There is quite a bit of work involved trying to maintain a separated branch from them, a LOT of roms are based on CM and then they put their 'tweaks' on top of that.
4th December 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #8  
Flag Rockingham NC

693 posts
More
Quote:

Not exactly, you are comparing separate things here. Are either of those verizon phones? Also do they have a 'unified' build? If you look above at some of the commits for the d2lte unified build that I posted earlier, the proprietary file list changed around that time, which is where things like the gps, radio, camera, and barometer (along with other hardware specific) 'drivers' come from. We can go back and branch off of the cm build from early September which still uses the 4.1.2 rils from ST, but we would also have to modify certain other things that have changed from that point on to get to where CM is today. There is quite a bit of work involved trying to maintain a separated branch from them, a LOT of roms are based on CM and then they put their 'tweaks' on top of that.

so you're saying this only applies to verizon and the unified d2lte builds? Gotcha

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote:

has anyone got anything from the ST S3 with 4.4? could we work with the ST 4.4 instead of the 4.1.2 to go off of? I think that model is the AT&T version instead of the verizon version of ST S3

4th December 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

43 posts
Quote:

so you're saying this only applies to verizon and the unified d2lte builds? Gotcha

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

has anyone got anything from the ST S3 with 4.4? could we work with the ST 4.4 instead of the 4.1.2 to go off of? I think that model is the AT&T version instead of the verizon version of ST S3

The good news (if there is such a thing) is we get a fresh start with Lollipop. It looks like the first efforts for the SIII was to DE-Unify the rom . The flipside of this coin is that the Lollipop builds are still buggy. Once I get my main machine back up and running, I may try to roll my own rom for the SCH968. I have compiled CM and Liquid roms, but never ventured out on my own yet.
4th December 2014, 03:08 AM   |  #10  
OP Member

43 posts
Quote:

So RIL stands for Radio Interface Layer (essentially the radio drivers), so even if you could get them for the AT&T, they don't help us since our phone uses Verizon towers. And as far as I know, they are closed source and carrier specific, which is what makes this an almost impossible feat.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread