Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,467 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] System software not authorized by Verizon error after attempting CM install

Tip us?

mdesq
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] System software not authorized by Verizon error after attempting CM install

I've searched and searched for hours on this topic and still haven't had any luck, so maybe someone can tell me if my phone is recoverable. Here are the specifics.
  • At some point in the past (maybe ICS timeframe), I rooted my phone. I suspect that also unlocked my bootloader way back when because every time the phone booted, I'd see the unlock symbol and the word "custom".
  • Verizon just pushed out to me an OTA for 4.4.2. My phone was slow enough before, this didn't seem to improve it.
  • An acquaintance told me he had good luck with his Android phone performance by installing Cyanogenmod, so I figured I'd give that a try.
  • I started following the directions at the Cyanogenmod site (Install_CM_for_d2vzw).
  • After completing Step 5, the phone threw the "System software not authorized by Verizon" error.
  • I've tried all kinds of things, using Odin and trying to get back to something that will allow my phone to work.
  • Nothing has worked so far.
  • Running Windows 8.1 on my laptop. Drivers to talk to the phone seem good (must have worked enough to get me here).

Can anyone help at all? I'd be most grateful to get the phone to anything that will actually work.

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesq View Post
I've searched and searched for hours on this topic and still haven't had any luck, so maybe someone can tell me if my phone is recoverable. Here are the specifics.
  • At some point in the past (maybe ICS timeframe), I rooted my phone. I suspect that also unlocked my bootloader way back when because every time the phone booted, I'd see the unlock symbol and the word "custom".
  • Verizon just pushed out to me an OTA for 4.4.2. My phone was slow enough before, this didn't seem to improve it.
  • An acquaintance told me he had good luck with his Android phone performance by installing Cyanogenmod, so I figured I'd give that a try.
  • I started following the directions at the Cyanogenmod site (Install_CM_for_d2vzw).
  • After completing Step 5, the phone threw the "System software not authorized by Verizon" error.
  • I've tried all kinds of things, using Odin and trying to get back to something that will allow my phone to work.
  • Nothing has worked so far.
  • Running Windows 8.1 on my laptop. Drivers to talk to the phone seem good (must have worked enough to get me here).

Can anyone help at all? I'd be most grateful to get the phone to anything that will actually work.
Long story short, 4.3+ have permanently locked the bootloader beyond any current known XDA exploit. No AOSP once you have taken VRUCML1 4.3, VRUCNC1 4.3, and VRUDNE1 4.4.2 OTAs. Additionally, once officially on 4.4.2, you can not downgrade via Odin to 4.3. Being that this 4.4.2 OTA is new, there is not much in the way of resolving hard bricks for the 4.4.2. OTA.

My primary suggestion is to Odin flash this VRUDNE1 4.4.2 tar if you can boot into Download mode.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mdesq
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post
My primary suggestion is to Odin flash this VRUDNE1 4.4.2 tar if you can boot into Download mode.
Many, many, MANY thanks! That worked and I'm back in with a running phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdesq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesq View Post
Many, many, MANY thanks! That worked and I'm back in with a running phone.
Glad that worked out for you!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

theviper90210
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I'm currently on the 4.4.2 ne1, but buggy and laggy. I tried factory reset. But still iffy, can I Odin the ne1 tar and it wipe the phone and start fresh?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by theviper90210 View Post
I'm currently on the 4.4.2 ne1, but buggy and laggy. I tried factory reset. But still iffy, can I Odin the ne1 tar and it wipe the phone and start fresh?
Yes, download VRUDNE1 tar from Sammobile.com or Samsung-updates.com and search for "sch-i535" and flash with Odin. The VRUDNE1 tar from these websites will wipe the phone clean.
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theviper90210
Old
(Last edited by theviper90210; 30th June 2014 at 12:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
(Edited wrong post)..Slimsnoopsos, thanks I'll do that!!!

theviper90210
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Yes, download VRUDNE1 tar from Sammobile.com or Samsung-updates.com and search for "sch-i535" and flash with Odin. The VRUDNE1 tar from these websites will wipe the phone clean.
Slim, I downloaded the one from Sammobile.com and odin it and it completed sucessfull, phone booted back up not wiped!! it just re flashed 4.4.2 over my current 4.4.2, what did I do wrong to make it not wipe then flash? I want Wipe then reflash 4.4.2

theviper90210
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Quote:
Slim, I downloaded the one from Sammobile.com and odin it and it completed sucessfull, phone booted back up not wiped!! it just re flashed 4.4.2 over my current 4.4.2, what did I do wrong to make it not wipe then flash? I want Wipe then reflash 4.4.2
Ok also downloaded the one from samsung-updates.com and it also is a no wipe. So is there a ne1 tar, that will wipe before flashing?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1,942
Quote:
Ok also downloaded the one from samsung-updates.com and it also is a no wipe. So is there a ne1 tar, that will wipe before flashing?
Are you positive neither wiped your phone? How do you know they did not wipe your phone?

To answer your question, those websites are the two primary sources that supply stock tar files and their tar files have always wiped the phone on prior OTAs. No, I do not know of anywhere else to download them from. I guess you'll have to boot into recovery and do a factory reset from there. From a powered off state, hold: volume up, power, and home until it boots into recovery.
[last device]
Droid Incroyable