FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

how to tell if bootloader is unlocked after rooting...

246 posts
Thanks Meter: 40

By a.demarco, Senior Member on 5th May 2013, 02:12 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
followed this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2046439 yesterday to root my samsung galaxy s3 and unlock the bootloader, but i am unsure if it worked 100%. i know it is rooted because i dl'ed titanium backup and it works, but how do i tell if my bootloader is unlocked or not? did a search, couldn't find an answer, so i am asking here.
Last edited by a.demarco; 5th May 2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: forgot to post the link to the thread...

5th May 2013, 02:27 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2,082

More
There's not really a concrete way to tell however if you reboot and the Samsung logo flashes by in a second then you're unlocked. Typically it sits for three to five seconds on this screen but once unlocked, this screen just flashes by.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2013, 03:12 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
considering we all use the same unlocked aboot.img, it's pretty easy to concretely verify that you're bootloader is unlocked.

but im too stupid to write a script, and no one wants to do it because it's a bit longer than timing the samsung boot logo (which when you compare time-invested to information given, is pretty reliable)

basically involves comparing the md5 of the aboot.img of your phone to the known unlocked aboot.img (will try to find the terminal/adb shell commandsi posted before)

found it:
The unlocked md5 is: 0ba9ad45fc15cf3d62af7dd363686b3f

So if you pull a copy of your current aboot partition and save it to your sd card.
Run the following in ADB shell or terminal. Make sure you run it as superuser:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/storage/sdcard0/aboot.img

That command will save an aboot.img to your internal sd. Check it's md5 and see if it matches.
Can run in adb:
md5 /storage/sdcard0/aboot.img
or
use any of the many md5 checking apps out there
Last edited by corbn89; 5th May 2013 at 03:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to corbn89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2013, 03:14 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Holmdel

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS

There's not really a concrete way to tell however if you reboot and the Samsung logo flashes by in a second then you're unlocked. Typically it sits for three to five seconds on this screen but once unlocked, this screen just flashes by.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

ok, cool, thanks! so it looks like the root took, but the bootloader didn't unlock. the samsung logo took 3 seconds to pass by. so what do i need to do now to unlock it? should i repeat the steps from what i did yesterday?
5th May 2013, 03:22 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbn89

considering we all use the same unlocked aboot.img, it's pretty easy to concretely verify that you're bootloader is unlocked.

but im too stupid to write a script, and no one wants to do it because it's a bit longer than timing the samsung boot logo (which when you compare time-invested to information given, is pretty reliable)

basically involves comparing the md5 of the aboot.img of your phone to the known unlocked aboot.img (will try to find the terminal/adb shell commandsi posted before)

found it:
The unlocked md5 is: 0ba9ad45fc15cf3d62af7dd363686b3f

So if you pull a copy of your current aboot partition and save it to your sd card.
Run the following in ADB shell or terminal. Make sure you run it as superuser:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/storage/sdcard0/aboot.img

That command will save an aboot.img to your internal sd. Check it's md5 and see if it matches.
Can run in adb:
md5 /storage/sdcard0/aboot.img
or
use any of the many md5 checking apps out there

I'm gonna bookmark this cuz this is a really good explanation. I don't ever suggest dd methods (nor memorize them) cuz I know a single typo could brick the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.demarco

ok, cool, thanks! so it looks like the root took, but the bootloader didn't unlock. the samsung logo took 3 seconds to pass by. so what do i need to do now to unlock it? should i repeat the steps from what i did yesterday?

Just sideload EZ Unlock v1.2 and press the unlock button. You'll hear an audio confirmation and boom, unlocked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2013, 03:25 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Holmdel

More
ok, so now i am confused. i have the correct supersu+bootloader on the sd card, and the supersu app on the phone, but the samsung logo still takes a while to disappear.

edit: nevermind, got it working, samsung logo now just flashes by. thanks again for all your help!
Last edited by a.demarco; 5th May 2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: got it working...
The Following User Says Thank You to a.demarco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2013, 03:32 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Quote:

I'm gonna bookmark this cuz this is a really good explanation. I don't ever suggest dd methods (nor memorize them) cuz I know a single typo could brick the device.

Just sideload EZ Unlock v1.2 and press the unlock button. You'll hear an audio confirmation and boom, unlocked.

Yep, it's pretty straightforward. I tested my unlocked bootloader with this. Haven't had a chance to tested while locked though (will have to wait till my next odin to stock).

But yeah, as long as no one switches the "if" and the "of" it should be safe (aka accidentally pasting something into the normally inaccessible partition rather than copying out to the sd)

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote:

ok, so now i am confused. i have the correct supersu+bootloader on the sd card, and the supersu app on the phone, but the samsung logo still takes a while to disappear.

sometime that image doesn't take for whatever reason. just use the app slimsnoop os linked to, should do the trick
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corbn89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2013, 03:39 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

edit: nevermind, got it working, samsung logo now just flashes by. thanks again for all your help!

Great! Just so you know, you can uninstall EZ Unlock (if you installed it that is) and never use it again. You will not need it again unless you do the following which which will re-lock your bootloader:

1) take a Verizon OTA
2) Odin flash a stock image

Make sure to do a nandroid and happy flashing!
5th May 2013, 03:45 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Holmdel

More
Quote:

Great! Just so you know, you can uninstall EZ Unlock (if you installed it that is) and never use it again. You will not need it again unless you do the following which which will re-lock your bootloader:

1) take a Verizon OTA
2) Odin flash a stock image

Make sure to do a nandroid and happy flashing!

still learning all about this, i will have to search what a nandroid is. i am doing a backup currently using titanium backup (free version right now), and it seems to be working well.

i want to flash either the cm 10.1 or jellybeans v.15 i think, just gotta read more about them.
5th May 2013, 04:03 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

still learning all about this, i will have to search what a nandroid is. i am doing a backup currently using titanium backup (free version right now), and it seems to be working well.

i want to flash either the cm 10.1 or jellybeans v.15 i think, just gotta read more about them.

Ahh, you'll see a lot of terms thrown around like that haha here's a glossary of common terms taken from DroidStyle's guide in the dev section.

Basically a nandroid is a complete system or rom backup akin to a computer backup. You perform a nandroid in custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) however its labeled as "Backup" in both recoveries. "Nandroid" is just the common name for it. The reason you perform a nandroid is to have a safe point to restore your phone to if you flash a rom, kernel, or mod and your phone begins to misbehave. Before flashing your first rom, it's highly recommended that you perform a nandroid in your custom recovery and even save a copy on a computer so you always have that in two places. It may take about 1.5-2 GB's of space per backup so I wouldn't keep too many on your phone at a time.
5th May 2013, 04:11 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Holmdel

More
Quote:

Ahh, you'll see a lot of terms thrown around like that haha here's a glossary of common terms taken from DroidStyle's guide in the dev section.

Basically a nandroid is a complete system or rom backup akin to a computer backup. You perform a nandroid in custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) however its labeled as "Backup" in both recoveries. "Nandroid" is just the common name for it. The reason you perform a nandroid is to have a safe point to restore your phone to if you flash a rom, kernel, or mod and your phone begins to misbehave. Before flashing your first rom, it's highly recommended that you perform a nandroid in your custom recovery and even save a copy on a computer so you always have that in two places. It may take about 1.5-2 GB's of space per backup so I wouldn't keep too many on your phone at a time.

good to know... should i bother with titanium backup at all? or just boot into cwm and do a nandroid from there?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread