Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,733 Members 53,815 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help w/ data recovery

Tip us?

Airhari21
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Help w/ data recovery

Alright, so I'm a pretty decent android user, not exactly a noob, but not an expert either.

Last night, I dropped my Verizon Galaxy S3 (rooted and unlocked, running the latest stable CM ROM), and the screen cracked and went purple,)
Screen was still responsive, but it was slowly going black. With the time I had left before the screen went black, I backed-up the entire ROM on my SD card.

Luckily, I had a backup Verizon Galaxy S3 running stock 4.3. I safe-rooted it using k1mu's method and managed to install TWRP. Then I tried to reboot into recovery. Bad idea. I forgot to unlock the bootloader, and came across the Software not authorized symbol. I managed to get past this by pulling my battery out, and rebooting into download mode, and choosing to restart my phone from there.

I know that the stupid Knox BS locked the bootloader for verizon phones now. However, I read that the CM installer App could be used to put CM on this new phone (even with a locked bootloader), and that SafeStrap could be used as the recovery program.

Can I install the backup data from my old phone onto my backup phone using SafeStrap? (I'm thinking that the data would now be compatible assuming the CM installer worked)
Or, would just be better to shell out hundreds of bucks to repair my screen? (Oh, and please let me know if there's any way for a cheap screen repair, because I'm assuming the LCD is broken along with the glass, but the digitizer oughta be working fine)

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhari21 View Post
Alright, so I'm a pretty decent android user, not exactly a noob, but not an expert either.

Last night, I dropped my Verizon Galaxy S3 (rooted and unlocked, running the latest stable CM ROM), and the screen cracked and went purple,)
Screen was still responsive, but it was slowly going black. With the time I had left before the screen went black, I backed-up the entire ROM on my SD card.

Luckily, I had a backup Verizon Galaxy S3 running stock 4.3. I safe-rooted it using k1mu's method and managed to install TWRP. Then I tried to reboot into recovery. Bad idea. I forgot to unlock the bootloader, and came across the Software not authorized symbol. I managed to get past this by pulling my battery out, and rebooting into download mode, and choosing to restart my phone from there.

I know that the stupid Knox BS locked the bootloader for verizon phones now. However, I read that the CM installer App could be used to put CM on this new phone (even with a locked bootloader), and that SafeStrap could be used as the recovery program.

Can I install the backup data from my old phone onto my backup phone using SafeStrap? (I'm thinking that the data would now be compatible assuming the CM installer worked)
Or, would just be better to shell out hundreds of bucks to repair my screen? (Oh, and please let me know if there's any way for a cheap screen repair, because I'm assuming the LCD is broken along with the glass, but the digitizer oughta be working fine)
Honestly I don't think it's going to work, it's bettery to spend about $40 for screen repair (ebay) and now you still have 2 phones. Make sure you find the repair service that using UV glue.

Airhari21
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
Honestly I don't think it's going to work, it's bettery to spend about $40 for screen repair (ebay) and now you still have 2 phones. Make sure you find the repair service that using UV glue.
Oh. Gotcha. Do you have any info on whether or not the devs are still working to unlock the 4.3 Knox-enabled bootloader?

Airhari21
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhari21 View Post
Oh. Gotcha. Do you have any info on whether or not the devs are still working to unlock the 4.3 Knox-enabled bootloader?
I think this might be a solution, for anyone experiencing the same kind of problems
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2609197