[Q] Help a noob make a safe upgrade...

OP mcrcat

2nd July 2014, 03:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hello Everyone,

New member, longtime lurker here. I have a I535 Verizon GS3, and am rooted. It has been quite a while since I did that, and I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into before I tried to upgrade to a newer rom. The reason I want to upgrade is I currently have a Sony Smartwatch 2, that I love but I shattered the screen. In preparation to buy one of the new Android wearables, I need to be on a newer version of android as far as I can see.

Right now I am on: 4.1.2/ Baseband version, I535VRBMB1/ Kernel Version 3.031-86103/Build number JZO54K.I535VRBMB1

I am not sure what of that info is important so I posted it all. I don't remember the exact name of the rom I flashed before, but I think it was created by member Dalep, and it was something like "Stock Rooted". It was basically just a rooted version of the stock rom. My only reason for rooting was to use a wifi tethering app which has been working well for me. I was nervous with the initial rooting and flash process, so once I got what I needed I stopped working on it and used my phone as is until now. Now I would like some guidance on how to get my phone safely up to date.

1. I am running Clockwork Mod Recovery v6.0.2.3. Is this still usable or do I need to update it?
2. What rom would you all recommend for someone who wants a fairly stable phone and does not care so much about tinkering/customizing?
3. What does a nandroid backup do and what can I do with the backup (I did one before I installed this current rom)
4. What is the best way to get my phone back with the apps I have installed? (i.e. reinstall from Playstore, etc) I don't have many apps.

I am sure there will be more questions, but thank you for reading my long first post, I just want to make sure I am clear about my current state, skill level and intentions.

Thanks,
Victor
2nd July 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 4,638

8,031 posts
More
Update recovery to latest version of whichever recovery you prefer. I use TWRP. Flash the MF1 firmware and ML1 modem in that order. This will bring you as far up to date as possible without locking down the phone. Then you can flash any rom currently available. I run stock deodexed ML1 4.3 base and then mod it the way I want it. Scott has one in the rom threads. As far as nandroid it will make an image of your current setup in case you need to return due to problems or trying some other rom. There are several options for backing up apps such as TIBU, My Backup or even Google can restore your apps. Here is firmware and modem. Flash MF1 first and ML1 second. ML1 will replace the MF1 modem but leave rest of firmware (bootchain) at MF1 level and will retain root and unlock status.

Flash in recovery in order posted:

#1- MF1 Firmware -- http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407591785

#2- ML1 Modem -- http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407591786
Last edited by prdog1; 2nd July 2014 at 09:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to prdog1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th July 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thanks for the response, I will flash those and check out that rom
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread