Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,274 Members 38,732 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help with Rooting 4.4.2

Tip us?

MortTheBeast
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
That's T-Mobile. The Verizon version is locked down.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Ah ok... when someone makes a generalized non carrier specific comment like the "S5 is locked" I just automatically assume they are saying all variations and carriers.

Now aside from Verizon versions of Samsung devices, are most if not all other carriers models have an unlocked bootloader or the ability to be unlocked? Now that I think about it, it's a shame there isn't a running list of model/carrier/android version/root/bootloader status.

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortTheBeast View Post
Ah ok... when someone makes a generalized non carrier specific comment like the "S5 is locked" I just automatically assume they are saying all variations and carriers.

Now aside from Verizon versions of Samsung devices, are most if not all other carriers models have an unlocked bootloader or the ability to be unlocked? Now that I think about it, it's a shame there isn't a running list of model/carrier/android version/root/bootloader status.
There doesn't have to be a running list. You could research all this, all the information is out there. If anyone States "the S5 has an unlocked bootloader" you can take it to mean they're discussing the international version. There are many additional carrier versions that that wouldn't describe.

Verizon has always had locked bootloaders, AT&T have recently started locking their phones, t-mobile and sprint generally have unlocked bootloaders.

As far as brands go, htc and Motorola generally have highly encrypted bootloaders, while samsungs don't, but recently Samsung has been tying their bootloader into the kernel which makes downgrading impossible. Samsung has traditionally always been developer friendly, even on Verizon, until the s3 came out. All of this doesn't matter if you're on Verizon, every single phone is going to have an encrypted bootloader lock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bink Feed
Old
Thanks Meter 533
You can root with:

POOT: This app is a one click root app. No computer needed

Framaroot:
Framaroot is a oneclick root app . No computer needed
This is the most popular one!

Z4Root: Z4Root is an oneclick root app . No computer needed

Towelroot: Towelroot is an oneclick root app. No computer needed

Baidu: No information

Vroot: No information

Gingerbreak: This app can root almost all gingerbread devices

Downloads:

Poot - Download the app >>here<<

Framaroot - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Z4ROOT - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Towelroot - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Baidu ROOT - Download the app >> HERE <<

vROOT - Download the app >> HERE <<

Gingerbreak - Download the app inside this XDA Thread - >> CLICK HERE <<

Flash a SU ZIP - Download the ZIP >> HERE << and flash it on your unlocked bootloader phone !

Hit thanks if you liked this post or this post has helped you out !
>---> Senior Support Member <---<
I provide support for you in the following threads:
For help with choosing a new phone or tablet or getting advice, "What's your next smartphone / What should I buy", "Consolidated Device Comparison/ Q&A/ Discussion Thread!!" and "Not sure what device to buy? Ask here! .

When you enter a thread mentioned above and you want my help, than you should quote or mention me