[Q] help upgrading from 4.1 to 4.3/4

Search This thread

Mylt1

May 12, 2008
ok guys, stupid question time. i have been out of the hacking game for a while and havent been keeping up with the S3 since i was running a pretty stable version of cyanogenmod. i picked up a S5 last month and the S3 has just been sitting but the wifes phone is on its last leg so i figured i would update the S3 and give it to her since it would be an upgrade to what she has now. i was running CM 4.1.2 and tried to flash the 4.3 AllianceRom. did my usual, updated CWM, downloaded the rom, checked the MD5, flashed the new modem and rom using CWM and everything looked good. then it happened. stuck at the "galaxy SIII" logo screen. nothing got me out of it. wiped everything, tried a reinstall, downloaded the rom again and did an install, nothing. tried another rom and the install failed, tried another rom and again, install failed. so i had a copy of cleanrom 5.6 which is a 4.1.1 rom and damn if that didnt hand as well. so i did a battery pull and luckly it had installed and the phone actually booted up and into android. the only downside is for some reason i cant connect to wifi with the rom. so, i still want to try either 4.3 or 4.4 on this phone so the question is, WTF am i doing wrong that it wont boot? shouldnt i be able to go from 4.1.1 to 4.3 or 4.4 by just using CWM? help a brother out.

Last edited:

jonny30bass

Mar 29, 2011
Columbus
ok guys, stupid question time. i have been out of the hacking game for a while and havent been keeping up with the S3 since i was running a pretty stable version of cyanogenmod. i picked up a S5 last month and the S3 has just been sitting but the wifes phone is on its last leg so i figured i would update the S3 and give it to her since it would be an upgrade to what she has now. i was running CM 4.1.2 and tried to flash the 4.3 AllianceRom. did my usual, updated CWM, downloaded the rom, checked the MD5, flashed the new modem and rom using CWM and everything looked good. then it happened. stuck at the "galaxy SIII" logo screen. nothing got me out of it. wiped everything, tried a reinstall, downloaded the rom again and did an install, nothing. tried another rom and the install failed, tried another rom and again, install failed. so i had a copy of cleanrom 5.6 which is a 4.1.1 rom and damn if that didnt hand as well. so i did a battery pull and luckly it had installed and the phone actually booted up and into android. the only downside is for some reason i cant connect to wifi with the rom. so, i still want to try either 4.3 or 4.4 on this phone so the question is, WTF am i doing wrong that it wont boot? shouldnt i be able to go from 4.1.1 to 4.3 or 4.4 by just using CWM? help a brother out.

You need to use the latest PhilZ Touch Recovery (https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2lte/) (just flash it in your current recovery). It is the best, and it works great. I would first go to "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" and choose to "Clean to Install a New ROM." Then I would go into "Advanced" and wipe dalvik cache. Then I would go into "Mounts and Storage" and format boot and modem. Then I would flash the newest modem (http://www.mediafire.com/download/v0als76t6nmtpbo/DNE1.modem.zip). Then finally install your ROM and then GApps.

Last edited:

Mylt1

May 12, 2008
yes, CWM was updated just before flashing. i installed the recommended modem for the rom i was installing. not sure why it was stuck at the logo on 4.3 when i flashed a 4.1.1 rom and it booted right up just fine.

CenFlo

Nov 18, 2008
www.CenFlo.org
You need to use the latest PhilZ Touch Recovery (https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2lte/) (just flash it in your current recovery). It is the best, and it works great. I would first go to "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" and choose to "Clean to Install a New ROM." Then I would go into "Advanced" and wipe dalvik cache. Then I would go into "Mounts and Storage" and format boot and modem. Then I would flash the newest modem (http://www.mediafire.com/download/v0als76t6nmtpbo/DNE1.modem.zip). Then finally install your ROM and then GApps.

I did all of the above and I can't get anything to work....

I updated to Philz, updated the modem and went to install a new ROM and it's error'ing out every time?

This phone was rooted from way back and it appears that I may have lost root... It's stuck at the Samsung Galaxy S III boot screen and I'm trying to get it to boot in to recovery at this time.

Edit: Was able to get in to recovery and restoring a backup now. Somethings not right when trying to go to a newer ROM.

Last edited:

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
I did all of the above and I can't get anything to work....

I updated to Philz, updated the modem and went to install a new ROM and it's error'ing out every time?

This phone was rooted from way back and it appears that I may have lost root... It's stuck at the Samsung Galaxy S III boot screen and I'm trying to get it to boot in to recovery at this time.

Edit: Was able to get in to recovery and restoring a backup now. Somethings not right when trying to go to a newer ROM.

Did you update to the latest version? If your on an old version and attempt to flash a 4.4 rom you will get a status 7 error everytime

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

CenFlo

Nov 18, 2008
www.CenFlo.org
Did you update to the latest version? If your on an old version and attempt to flash a 4.4 rom you will get a status 7 error everytime

I thought I updated to the latest Phliz and I do believe that's the error I was getting when I tried to load the ROM.

I'll check again Monday.

I appreciate the info.

Reactions: ShapesBlue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I thought I updated to the latest Phliz and I do believe that's the error I was getting when I tried to load the ROM.

I'll check again Monday.

I appreciate the info.