Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,758 Members 46,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to disable Charging from OTG host mode?

Tip us?

Dan Miller
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How to disable Charging from OTG host mode?

Hi...

I am using an I535 for a dedicated purpose with a medical device. It connects to this device via USB OTG, and polls it for information every few minutes and then uploads the data to the cloud. The device it connects to is also battery powered and charges via the USB connection.

Everything works fine, except the phone is trickle charging this device constantly (which it doesn't need at all-- its own battery is good for over a week), so the S3 goes from full to empty in 6-7 hours.

I will be getting one of the Anker 7200mAh batteries in a few days, but just because I have the extra capacity, I still want to do as much as I can to optimize.

The phone is unlocked and rooted. I have tried a few different ROMS and kernels, hoping to find a tweak somewhere. No luck so far.

Does anyone know of a way that I can set up the phone to allow the data polling / transfer that I need to do with OTG in host mode, while simultanelously not allowing the phone to charge the client?

If it matters, the phone will not be used for literally anything else. It will be locked in a case ultimately, with the charging jack of the OTG Y-cable hanging out for keeping the phone / device charged.

Thanks in advance...

If anyone is curious about what I'm doing... you can see it in a Facebook group called CGM in the CLOUD ( I can't post links yet)

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan Miller
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
Hi...

I am using an I535 for a dedicated purpose with a medical device. It connects to this device via USB OTG, and polls it for information every few minutes and then uploads the data to the cloud. The device it connects to is also battery powered and charges via the USB connection.

Everything works fine, except the phone is trickle charging this device constantly (which it doesn't need at all-- its own battery is good for over a week), so the S3 goes from full to empty in 6-7 hours.

I will be getting one of the Anker 7200mAh batteries in a few days, but just because I have the extra capacity, I still want to do as much as I can to optimize.

The phone is unlocked and rooted. I have tried a few different ROMS and kernels, hoping to find a tweak somewhere. No luck so far.

Does anyone know of a way that I can set up the phone to allow the data polling / transfer that I need to do with OTG in host mode, while simultanelously not allowing the phone to charge the client?

If it matters, the phone will not be used for literally anything else. It will be locked in a case ultimately, with the charging jack of the OTG Y-cable hanging out for keeping the phone / device charged.

Thanks in advance...

If anyone is curious about what I'm doing... you can see it in a Facebook group called CGM in the CLOUD ( I can't post links yet)

Thanks again,

Dan
No one?

Dan Miller
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Bump...