[Q] Phone powers off and doesn't come back on..

Search This thread
Aug 12, 2010
weird issue in that for the past two days the phone will not power on. I can hit the power button which "does not appear to be stuck" and it will briefly turn on getting to 1st splash screen before going black and not coming back on. Can't get into anything. While ago messing with it I had it fully boot but when the screen timed out I hit the power button any it wasn't on anymore. I even got it to turn on for the drive home for about an hr and was able to listen to pandora. I have unlimited data so I didn't want to get a new phone. So I looked online and saw someone had a brand new s4 for 320.00 bucks.. which I think I can keep my data if I buy a phone elsewhere correct? I also looked at replacing the motherboard for my s3 which was 90 bucks. Need some assistance either making my s3 work or ideas of what phone to get under 300.00

Aug 12, 2010
also.. When I plug it in while it is off it doesn't appear to be charging.. Maybe it is the battery? Maybe it is the charging port?

cindylike24

Sep 26, 2008
Vincennes, IN
I think you should try another battery first. However, I do have some questions. Is you charging port loose on your phone? Is your phone still under warranty through your carrier? I recently had issues with my S3 draining really bad. I'd plug it into the charger and it would definitely act like it was charging up but in all reality the battery was draining like a sieve. I called Verizon Wireless and ended up getting a new phone as a warranty replacement. It's working fine now. *knock on wood*

Cindy

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" model using Tapatalk

Aug 12, 2010
the light doesn't come on when charging like before. the port is not loose. I took the phone apart to see if there was something damaged or loose inside and everything seemed fine. I doubt the phone is under warranty. I just purchased a new battery for 16 bucks.. hope it works. I will update this thread on thursday once I get the battery in.

calebcabob

Jul 14, 2013
Massachusetts
weird issue in that for the past two days the phone will not power on. I can hit the power button which "does not appear to be stuck" and it will briefly turn on getting to 1st splash screen before going black and not coming back on. Can't get into anything. While ago messing with it I had it fully boot but when the screen timed out I hit the power button any it wasn't on anymore. I even got it to turn on for the drive home for about an hr and was able to listen to pandora. I have unlimited data so I didn't want to get a new phone. So I looked online and saw someone had a brand new s4 for 320.00 bucks.. which I think I can keep my data if I buy a phone elsewhere correct? I also looked at replacing the motherboard for my s3 which was 90 bucks. Need some assistance either making my s3 work or ideas of what phone to get under 300.00

That sucks...

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

If you are gonna get an S4, make absolutely SURE it is an MDK build!! Anything after that has a locked bootloader! Ah hem...mine is MDK;) and comes with a mophie case...and glass screen protector...:) just saying.

rprussell

Mar 30, 2011
I am googling this problem for a friend with a stock verizon S3 - there are TONS of people who can't charge once they're on KitKat. Is that the case with you? It seems to be a software, not hardware, issue.

From the sounds of things, don't expect a new board to fix it.

Aug 12, 2010
Also, the charging part is not the only problem. I had a full battery but couldn't get the phone to stay on. Eventually I couldn't even turn it on at all. Just died.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sounds similar to what I ran into with my charging port going bad, currently it will only work with the stock charging cable but I have purchased a wireless charging battery cover and use that for 90% of my charging.