Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,490 Members 44,788 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Switching to Cyanogenmod on 4.3 Verizon Galaxy S3

Tip us?

thanewguy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Switching to Cyanogenmod on 4.3 Verizon Galaxy S3

Hey guys, new to the whole Android modding stuff so, go easy because my knowledge about all the technical stuff is pretty limited.
So, anyway, I got tired of Touchwiz and I want to switch to Cyanogenmod just because I like the stock Android look and dislike the general slowness of Touchwiz. Problem is, I took the stupid OTA 4.3 update which apparently added the Knox bootloader which is, as far as I have read, impossible to unlock at this point.
I was under the impression that, with the Knox bootloader, its impossible to have a custom ROM since it will brick your device, but these threads :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2575977
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541343
Seem to indicate that all the Knox bootloader does is prevent downgrading the bootloader and also voids the warranty if you tamper with your device. Well, my warranty expire a couple months ago so I couldn't care less. But now I'm really confused. Can I, or can I not flash Cyanogenmod on my 4.3 Verizon Galaxy S3 assuming I don't care about the warranty?

twistedillutions
Old
Thanks Meter 200
You will brick your fone flashing any type of custom recovery or roms will brick you fone. U can root ur fone from my understanding from other threads but thats it
The Following User Says Thank You to twistedillutions For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanewguy View Post
Hey guys, new to the whole Android modding stuff so, go easy because my knowledge about all the technical stuff is pretty limited.
So, anyway, I got tired of Touchwiz and I want to switch to Cyanogenmod just because I like the stock Android look and dislike the general slowness of Touchwiz. Problem is, I took the stupid OTA 4.3 update which apparently added the Knox bootloader which is, as far as I have read, impossible to unlock at this point.
I was under the impression that, with the Knox bootloader, its impossible to have a custom ROM since it will brick your device, but these threads :
Seem to indicate that all the Knox bootloader does is prevent downgrading the bootloader and also voids the warranty if you tamper with your device. Well, my warranty expire a couple months ago so I couldn't care less. But now I'm really confused. Can I, or can I not flash Cyanogenmod on my 4.3 Verizon Galaxy S3 assuming I don't care about the warranty?
Like what was said above, you can't install any custom roms.

Knox is not responsible for locking the bootloader, it's only a flag that is triggered when root is achieved. Think of it like a flash counter that can't be undone. It has nothing to do with this.

The problem is the bootloader that was also updated. Every step in the chain has to be on the VRUCML1 base or the phone will brick itself and terminate the boot. Since our previous unlock method was to modify a step in the bootloader to unlock it, it can't be done the same way on the new base because it isn't able to be modified.

Any attempt to unlock it by any means or flashing a custom rom will change the bootloader. Safestrap is the only hope for the new base, or unless we're lucky enough to get a leaked unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Midnightswammi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
So with all else said, use Safestrap

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightswammi View Post
So with all else said, use Safestrap

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
We don't have safestrap.

thanewguy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So there's no way to do it all? No workarounds or anything of the sort? So I'm stuck with Touchwiz until someone cracks the current bootloader?

twistedillutions
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
So there's no way to do it all? No workarounds or anything of the sort? So I'm stuck with Touchwiz until someone cracks the current bootloader?
Thats correct. Your stuck on 4.3 TW

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 641
Quote:
You can use xposed with modules that allow for a lot of customization, if you haven't used it before take a look at it.

ThePagel
Old
Thanks Meter 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Like what was said above, you can't install any custom roms.

Knox is not responsible for locking the bootloader, it's only a flag that is triggered when root is achieved. Think of it like a flash counter that can't be undone. It has nothing to do with this.

The problem is the bootloader that was also updated. Every step in the chain has to be on the VRUCML1 base or the phone will brick itself and terminate the boot. Since our previous unlock method was to modify a step in the bootloader to unlock it, it can't be done the same way on the new base because it isn't able to be modified.

Any attempt to unlock it by any means or flashing a custom rom will change the bootloader. Safestrap is the only hope for the new base, or unless we're lucky enough to get a leaked unlocked bootloader.

I'm rooted on 4.3 without being flagged. Maybe its because I didn't try to root with anything other than safe root.

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagel View Post
I'm rooted on 4.3 without being flagged. Maybe its because I didn't try to root with anything other than safe root.
It really doesn't flag? Your warranty bit in download mode is still 0? Maybe saferoot bypasses it.