Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,767,951 Members 39,769 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyway of resetting custom binary counter on locked bootloader

Tip us?

scadilla
Old
(Last edited by scadilla; 7th July 2014 at 03:14 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Anyway of resetting custom binary counter on locked bootloader

So I wanted to get a spare S3 back to stock so I could trade it in for an upgrade, so I Odin'd to the official 4.3 with NC1 locked bootloader, but forgot to reset the custom binary counter. Is there any way to reset custom binary counter once you are on a locked bootloader? Any help would be appreciated.

scadilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ThePagel
Old
Thanks Meter 440
I have seen people who say you can use triangle away but I have also seen people who said triangle away doesn't work or bricks the phone on the locked bootloader. I am 99% sure it doesn't work and 100% sure you shouldn't try.
ADB Only (Windows)
ADB Only (Linux) <-- Plus instructions
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePagel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sandman-007
Old
Thanks Meter 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by scadilla View Post
So I wanted to get a spare S3 back to stock so I could trade it in for an upgrade, so I Odin'd to the official 4.3 with NC1 locked bootloader, but forgot to reset the custom binary counter. Is there any way to reset custom binary counter once you are on a locked bootloader? Any help would be appreciated.
There is an option to reset this in Odin when you odin a stock image. And yes do not use triangle away on a locked bootlaoder. It will brick you. Do it in odin!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman-007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scadilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman-007 View Post
There is an option to reset this in Odin when you odin a stock image. And yes do not use triangle away on a locked bootlaoder. It will brick you. Do it in odin!
Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but I don't need to preserve anything on the phone. That being I didn't happen to notice the option in Odin, can you point me in the right direction? I appreciate it. Thanks for all your help.

Sandman-007
Old
Thanks Meter 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by scadilla View Post
Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but I don't need to preserve anything on the phone. That being I didn't happen to notice the option in Odin, can you point me in the right direction? I appreciate it. Thanks for all your help.
Its a check box "F. Reset Time" under options.

BROKEN1981
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Just use the vzw repair assistant. It will reset you phone to stock as well as killing off the counter. No need for odin. For the users that just want the custom padlock gone, wanam. Resets the flag to official.

Sandman-007
Old
Thanks Meter 772
delete

Sandman-007
Old
Thanks Meter 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN1981 View Post
Just use the vzw repair assistant. It will reset you phone to stock as well as killing off the counter. No need for odin. For the users that just want the custom padlock gone, wanam. Resets the flag to official.
Seeing that he doesn't need to preserve anything his best bet is Odin. The program you mention is unnecessary as it takes much longer and backs up his phone and he does not need to that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BROKEN1981
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Actually its straight forward, eadier to use, and has a check mark option to back up the phone. Its the same as using odin. I used it with out backing up my phone. Other users reported problems with using odin. Like the process stops. Never happened to me. Also the vzw tool put the phone in download mode. And I have to say for putting your phone back to stock and resetting the flash counter is better then odin.