Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Reviving an old phone

OP pacturtle

14th August 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Back in February of 2014 I rooted my phone and I went through and started deleting some of the software that came preinstalled. No one likes the preinstalled bloatware anyways, but in the process I deleted some core files that were important to basic operation.

I figured no big deal I'll just get clockwork and find the ROM online and no big deal. Well... That didn't go so well because I had already accepted the secure boot over the air update.

Phone currently turns on and I'm able to get into the boot loader and a normal boot tells me to take it into Verizon (only for them to say there's nothing we can do).

I came here for answers and never bothered to make a post. All I found were people saying I'm screwed and two tutorials, one for a true bricked phone and the other that's image did not work for me in ODIN.

Now with a new job right around the corner and them requiring me to have a phone, I'm in a pickle. I'm coming back and while I can find some answers now most of the links have been removed.

Where can I find a copy of the stock rom so I can once again use my phone and which ODIN version should I be using (and where to get)? - if I can even remember how to use one since it's been so long.

I did find samsung-updates[dot]com/device/?id=SCH-I535 in a youtube video description from another post on XDA but 12 hours for a download doesn't seem practical especially if the file doesn't even work.
Also there was an ODIN post on XDA that had links for a download that Chrome will NOT let me download. When I say "will not", I actually mean I can only dismiss the notice that chrome says this file is malicious. There is no proceed anyways option and it comes with a "do not enter" icon. Other compressed versions of ODIN download fine but no clue what version I'm after.
14th August 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 806

1,594 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacturtle

Back in February of 2014 I rooted my phone and I went through and started deleting some of the software that came preinstalled. No one likes the preinstalled bloatware anyways, but in the process I deleted some core files that were important to basic operation.

I figured no big deal I'll just get clockwork and find the ROM online and no big deal. Well... That didn't go so well because I had already accepted the secure boot over the air update.

Phone currently turns on and I'm able to get into the boot loader and a normal boot tells me to take it into Verizon (only for them to say there's nothing we can do).

I came here for answers and never bothered to make a post. All I found were people saying I'm screwed and two tutorials, one for a true bricked phone and the other that's image did not work for me in ODIN.

Now with a new job right around the corner and them requiring me to have a phone, I'm in a pickle. I'm coming back and while I can find some answers now most of the links have been removed.

Where can I find a copy of the stock rom so I can once again use my phone and which ODIN version should I be using (and where to get)? - if I can even remember how to use one since it's been so long.

I did find samsung-updates[dot]com/device/?id=SCH-I535 in a youtube video description from another post on XDA but 12 hours for a download doesn't seem practical especially if the file doesn't even work.
Also there was an ODIN post on XDA that had links for a download that Chrome will NOT let me download. When I say "will not", I actually mean I can only dismiss the notice that chrome says this file is malicious. There is no proceed anyways option and it comes with a "do not enter" icon. Other compressed versions of ODIN download fine but no clue what version I'm after.

Use a different browser to download your files, sometimes chrome won't download things properly.

Use this guide to fix your situation:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

You can use that file of you're on 4.3, but if you were on 4.4 you need a stock 4.4.2 image. Everything you need is in the sticky in the development section. All downloads are available and guides for figuring out which version you're on.
15th August 2014, 09:27 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername

Use a different browser to download your files, sometimes chrome won't download things properly.

Use this guide to fix your situation:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

You can use that file of you're on 4.3, but if you were on 4.4 you need a stock 4.4.2 image. Everything you need is in the sticky in the development section. All downloads are available and guides for figuring out which version you're on.

Much appreciated,

... I'm really bad at hitting the submit button. I've already called my dad to tell him happy birthday. (It's 2 AM and he has to be at work at 7, totally worth it)!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread