Galaxy S3 SCH-I535- Stuck In Odin Mode After Trying To Downgrade To 4.3

Search This thread

Usmc2847

Aug 29, 2015
Forsyth
Screwed up, need some help. (4.4.2 to 4.3 attempt gone bad)

Hello everyone out there! Long time lurker, first time poster.

So I've had what seems to be a soft brick on my verizon s3 (SCH-I535) and it is time to just lay it out here because (as always) I can't find the fix to MY problem (so selfish I know :eek:)

So let's start at the very beginning..

I have had my s3 for awhile now and I ended up rooting the phone to stay on 4.3. The biggest reason for this was to keep FoxFi working (I have no internet where I live and tethering is the only option). Once FoxFi was working for 4.4 I decided to go ahead and update but first I had to unroot which wasn't a big deal. I unrooted and voila! I was on 4.4.2!

Okay so I just tried ThePagel's methosd

When I upgraded, I noticed my FoxFi was VERY slow all of a sudden and being a gamer, I didn't like this one bit! So I thought to myself "Hey, just flash back to your 4.3 file."... as I hear all of your collective heads shaking in disappointment, followed by facepalms, I now see the error of my ways.. Attempting to flash back to 4.3 of course hung my phone up in Odin (It was stuck at SetupConnect I believe) and this led to my soft brick. Bummer...

So what have I attempted? Well I kept seeing this thread pop up, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319 but it's talking about the OTA for 4.3.... I was 4.4.2. I also attempted to fix the issue via this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1840030 and alas, it fails me as well.

Now as far as errors for these trails, let's get down to what I see on my phone and what I see on odin..

When trying the Hero's method, Odin fails with this log:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> VRALEC.bootchain.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

On my phone, I get this log: (Under download mode of course)
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
(In grey)
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
BOOTLOADER RP (or AP, can't tell) SWREV: 2
(in red)
SW REV CHECK FAIL : Fused 2 > Binary 0.

Right now I am downloading the file needed in ThePagel's fix but it is VERY slow (only dial up and satellite internet I **** you not, out here). When that gets done I will come back here and post the same logs for both the phone and ODIN should it not work.

I see there are a lot of fixes out there for various things but the problem is, I don't know exactly what is wrong with my phone. Of course if I try to turn it on normally I get the yellow triangle so the fact it turns on means it is a soft brick. I have also read a lot of threads talking about custom recovery but I don't know how this works. Does custom recovery get me back into recovery mode? Or is this only for when your phone is rooted. Anyway, I'd love to pick some brains on this matter and maybe someone sees something in the errors that I do not.

I apologize for my ignorance... all I wanted to do was go back to 4.3 and root it to stay there.. if this can not be done and I am forced to stay with 4.4.2, I will do so.. but any advice for either would be a great welcomed sight. Send links to threads and what have you if you don't want to type, other than to call me an idiot, I deserve it for not reading and understanding everything fully before attempting this flash.

Okay I just tried ThePagel's method and this is what I get:
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> ALL_I535VRUCNC1_I535VZWCNC1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/003> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

On my phone, everything looks the same except the last line reads:
SW REV CHECK FAIL : Fused 2 > Binary 1.

So.....what do you guys think?

****UPDATE****

I was able to find a stock, no frills 4.4.2 kitkat and I flashed that. My phone is back working again. Is there a way to delete this thread?

Last edited:

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I don't believe there is any way to delete the thread without getting a forum moderator to do so.

Personally I would recommend against deleting it. Better would be using it as a teaching example for others who find themselves in the same predicament, especially since you added how you fixed the issue. It may also help some from making the same error.

Reactions: ShapesBlue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't believe there is any way to delete the thread without getting a forum moderator to do so.

Personally I would recommend against deleting it. Better would be using it as a teaching example for others who find themselves in the same predicament, especially since you added how you fixed the issue. It may also help some from making the same error.