Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,403 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it possible to unroot Verizon gs3 with cracked digitizer?

Tip us?

cdput
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Is it possible to unroot Verizon gs3 with cracked digitizer?

I rooted my Verizon gs3 using Saferoot (I think). I dropped the phone and cracked the screen and digitizer (phone will power on but can't see anything on the screen). I've received my insurance replacement phone and have to send the cracked one back. Is there any way to unroot the phone before I return it? I did trade for the phone used so I could plead ignorance and say that the previous owner must have done it if Verizon catches it. TIA

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdput View Post
I rooted my Verizon gs3 using Saferoot (I think). I dropped the phone and cracked the screen and digitizer (phone will power on but can't see anything on the screen). I've received my insurance replacement phone and have to send the cracked one back. Is there any way to unroot the phone before I return it? I did trade for the phone used so I could plead ignorance and say that the previous owner must have done it if Verizon catches it. TIA
Look for a program that will display your screen through the computer.

Or you could simply flash a stock 4.4.2 rom through download mode, then everything looks like it hasn't been touched. Download mode is easy to get into and you don't need a working screen.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cdput
Old
(Last edited by cdput; 16th July 2014 at 05:07 PM.) Reason: corrected post
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks! I'll have to do some research on getting into download mode or if you can please point me to a guide. I've never flashed a rom to my phone (although I have thought about it). The main thing that I've ever needed has been root to be able to use the wifi tethering.

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 692
Quote:
Thanks! I'll have to do some research on getting into download mode or if you happen to be able to point me to a guide. I've never flashed a rom to my phone (although I have thought about it). The main thing that I've ever needed has been root to be able to use the wifi tethering.
Power off phone, then it's power +volume down +home. Once it boots, give it a minute then hit volume up. You can verify you're in download mode if Odin recognizes your phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cdput
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Power off phone, then it's power +volume down +home. Once it boots, give it a minute then hit volume up. You can verify you're in download mode if Odin recognizes your phone.

Thanks again! I am a complete noob when it comes to Odin so I'll research. I mess with this type stuff strictly for myself and just to see if I can. So I don't do it often. I normally don't ask questions unless I just can't seem to find the answers on my own.

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 692
Quote:
Thanks again! I am a complete noob when it comes to Odin so I'll research. I mess with this type stuff strictly for myself and just to see if I can. So I don't do it often. I normally don't ask questions unless I just can't seem to find the answers on my own.
Check the softbrick repair guide, instructions are completely laid out for you, just make sure you use a 4.4 rom not the included 4.3 rom.

The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cdput
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Check the softbrick repair guide, instructions are completely laid out for you, just make sure you use a 4.4 rom not the included 4.3 rom.

Thanks so much!

The Following User Says Thank You to cdput For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]