Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 42,143 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unlocked Bootloader, continue to wait or lock and update?

Tip us?
 
taihard
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 55
Posts: 254
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default [Q] Unlocked Bootloader, continue to wait or lock and update?

So, it's been a while since 4.4 has come to the S3 and there still doesn't seem to be any good news for those on a locked bootloader. Is it still the general opinion that it would be better to wait and keep the bootloader unlocked or should I give in and update while giving up my bootloader? I personally don't flash aosp or any other roms besides touchwiz and really only want root but I also think resale value (if I decide to sell later) could be a bit better if I keep bootloader unlocked. Anyways, what are you doing? Are you unlocked and waiting to see if we can get 4.4 on an unlocked bootloader? Did you / will you sacrifice bootloader and update to 4.4 and if so, is it / was it worth it?

Thanks!!
 
buhohitr
Old
#2  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,508
Posts: 5,161
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by taihard View Post
So, it's been a while since 4.4 has come to the S3 and there still doesn't seem to be any good news for those on a locked bootloader. Is it still the general opinion that it would be better to wait and keep the bootloader unlocked or should I give in and update while giving up my bootloader? I personally don't flash aosp or any other roms besides touchwiz and really only want root but I also think resale value (if I decide to sell later) could be a bit better if I keep bootloader unlocked. Anyways, what are you doing? Are you unlocked and waiting to see if we can get 4.4 on an unlocked bootloader? Did you / will you sacrifice bootloader and update to 4.4 and if so, is it / was it worth it?

Thanks!!
I would say that if you don't like to play around with custom rom then update. I'm using stock rooted 4.4 and very happy with it. Custom rom give you more options/features but they come with bugs here and there and time to reflash. If you like trouble free then stock rooted is the way to go.
 
djphrost1
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 11
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihard View Post
So, it's been a while since 4.4 has come to the S3 and there still doesn't seem to be any good news for those on a locked bootloader. Is it still the general opinion that it would be better to wait and keep the bootloader unlocked or should I give in and update while giving up my bootloader? I personally don't flash aosp or any other roms besides touchwiz and really only want root but I also think resale value (if I decide to sell later) could be a bit better if I keep bootloader unlocked. Anyways, what are you doing? Are you unlocked and waiting to see if we can get 4.4 on an unlocked bootloader? Did you / will you sacrifice bootloader and update to 4.4 and if so, is it / was it worth it?

Thanks!!
One of the things to consider when making this decision is this. What benefits/features/options of a custom ROM do you like or find necessary that stock (even rooted) might not offer? For me personally the only quarrels that I have with Samsung stock roms are touchwiz and the bloatware (additional S-Apps). I personally don't use too many of them as Google, among other devs, have better equivalents.
 
jcbjoe
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 176
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by djphrost1 View Post
One of the things to consider when making this decision is this. What benefits/features/options of a custom ROM do you like or find necessary that stock (even rooted) might not offer? For me personally the only quarrels that I have with Samsung stock roms are touchwiz and the bloatware (additional S-Apps). I personally don't use too many of them as Google, among other devs, have better equivalents.
Thats cool

To unlock you boot loader doesn't mean you just want to flash custom roms .. its just the feeling of having complete ownership of your phone

You can be rooted stock and be happy but to be Rooted / Stock / With a unlocked boot loader is total freedom

Example

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/23330085.jpg

The freedom to pick and choose what you want to do and how you want to do it

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcbjoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
poppers162
Old
#5  
poppers162's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 234
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbjoe View Post
Thats cool

To unlock you boot loader doesn't mean you just want to flash custom roms .. its just the feeling of having complete ownership of your phone

You can be rooted stock and be happy but to be Rooted / Stock / With a unlocked boot loader is total freedom

Example

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/23330085.jpg

The freedom to pick and choose what you want to do and how you want to do it

Thanks
That's perfect.

Sent from my Unlocked SCH-I535 running AOKP
Droid RAZR M all the way! Unlocked-Rooted-Stock KK
The Following User Says Thank You to poppers162 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes