Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,943 Members 52,783 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

32GB or 64GB MicroSD cards for Galaxy S3

Tip us?

dotpro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Cool 32GB or 64GB MicroSD cards for Galaxy S3

I picked up samsung galaxy s3 today and looking for a good sd card. i am considering these two options:

SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQUA-064G-U46A

and another by Samsung

Samsung 32GB High Speed MicroSDHC Memory Card

samsung one seems like a good deal, compared to pricey sandisk.
The Following User Says Thank You to dotpro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darkkain
Old
(Last edited by darkkain; 1st October 2012 at 09:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18

DONATE TO ME
64gb because it has exFat format 4gb+ file won't be a problem. I have got the same one.

destynova1988
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotpro View Post
I picked up samsung galaxy s3 today and looking for a good sd card. i am considering these two options:

SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQUA-064G-U46A

and another by Samsung

Samsung 32GB High Speed MicroSDHC Memory Card

samsung one seems like a good deal, compared to pricey sandisk.
Hi,
I bought mine from amazon a few months ago and costed me 78$ $54 Class 10 64GB Micro SD
You should get a 64gb card, because you will have a lot of space for yout stuff and you can format it as exFat!
The Following User Says Thank You to destynova1988 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JagXK8
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by destynova1988 View Post
Hi,
I bought mine from amazon a few months ago and costed me 78$ $54 Class 10 64GB Micro SD
You should get a 64gb card, because you will have a lot of space for yout stuff and you can format it as exFat!
No issues with it formatted at exFat? I know someone else with a S3 had issues and had to format it to FAT32.

Ricey
Old
(Last edited by Ricey; 2nd October 2012 at 06:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
64gb because MOAR IS BETTER! I formatted mine to FAT32 because from what I've read and experienced with my other devices, it's just safer that way. I've had issues right off the bat using exFAT on some devices (mostly Samsung) or gradually the card will become corrupted (I've lost about 3 full microsd cards full of data so far). From what I've read this is due to Samsung using a half baked implementation of exFAT. exFAT is a patent-pending, proprietary file system created by Microsoft, so if Samsung, or any other OEM wanted to use the full implementation they would have to pay licensing fees. So while you can format it to exFAT using a PC, the way Samsung devices handle it there is high chance of it getting corrupted.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ricey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rvpals
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
64gb because MOAR IS BETTER! I formatted mine to FAT32 because from what I've read and experienced with my other devices, it's just safer that way. I've had issues right off the bat using exFAT on some devices (mostly Samsung) or gradually the card will become corrupted (I've lost about 3 full microsd cards full of data so far). From what I've read this is due to Samsung using a half baked implementation of exFAT. exFAT is a patent-pending, proprietary file system created by Microsoft, so if Samsung, or any other OEM wanted to use the full implementation they would have to pay licensing fees. So while you can format it to exFAT using a PC, the way Samsung devices handle it there is high chance of it getting corrupted.
How do you format with FAT32? Just using format option in Samsung S 3?

I've been experiencing problem where from time to time, it just corrupt and give me SD card error, and refuse to mount it. I have a 64GB Sandisk Micro SD on Verizon S 3.

Ricey
Old
(Last edited by Ricey; 2nd October 2012 at 10:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpals View Post
How do you format with FAT32? Just using format option in Samsung S 3?

I've been experiencing problem where from time to time, it just corrupt and give me SD card error, and refuse to mount it. I have a 64GB Sandisk Micro SD on Verizon S 3.
I used my laptop's built in SD reader that supports XC cards and just formatted to FAT32. You can use any PC program that formats. I personally used an app called guiformat (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm). It's a simple app specifically to format stuff to FAT32. I've heard you can simply use the window's formatter but I've also read of some people that had issues with that.

missmonet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking help lol

hi, Im a noob. Im getting galaxy s3 today. I been reading threads and searching within the tread but someone say something some one else says something else. so Im confused! especially since im noob. Which one is it for god sake!!! lol

Q. Which is class is better? I hear on other threads a class 2 or 4 is good but a class 6 and 10 is not necessary because for a higher speed the manufacturer use the randoms speeds, access speeds to make it faster. That class 10 don't necessarily means better,class 10 is too fast for for the phone that it will freeze or ppl having problems. You need a class 6 for apps2sd or Data2sd.

So im thinking a class 6 would be good for me since I use apps2sd alot, roms, I will download some music, vids and movies. 32gb class 6 SanDisk - Mobile Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 6 Memory Card bestbuy sale 4 $30 has anyone body tried it?
Can someone who really knows tech stuff about sd cards answer plz

Thank you, sorry for all the questions...

Ricey
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmonet View Post
hi, Im a noob. Im getting galaxy s3 today. I been reading threads and searching within the tread but someone say something some one else says something else. so Im confused! especially since im noob. Which one is it for god sake!!! lol

Q. Which is class is better? I hear on other threads a class 2 or 4 is good but a class 6 and 10 is not necessary because for a higher speed the manufacturer use the randoms speeds, access speeds to make it faster. That class 10 don't necessarily means better,class 10 is too fast for for the phone that it will freeze or ppl having problems. You need a class 6 for apps2sd or Data2sd.

So im thinking a class 6 would be good for me since I use apps2sd alot, roms, I will download some music, vids and movies. 32gb class 6 SanDisk - Mobile Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 6 Memory Card bestbuy sale 4 $30 has anyone body tried it?
Can someone who really knows tech stuff about sd cards answer plz

Thank you, sorry for all the questions...
I've personally been using Class 10s for my devices and haven't had any issues as long as it's formatted in FAT32.

stan.s
Old
Thanks Meter 107
The difference between the sdhc cards and the sdxc cards is that the xc are intended to be used on usb3 systems so that they can take advantage of the speed. This is important when you are loading the card with your music library or unloading it with your photos. (and you don't do it mounted inside the phone.)

A Sandisk 64GB sdxc class ten card won't get the 30mb read speed advertised. It gets regular class 10 speed, the gs3 has no speed improvements when using this type of mcard. Here's a speed test in the phone of the Sandisk 64GB sdxc I got the other day.

IME, exfat is sensitive to power level change and anything that stalls or disrupts any read/write operation. However, if the phone says that it is damaged, just put it in to your adapter and a pc with exfat support and run chkdsk /f (with the fix options selected).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to stan.s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
galaxy s3, micro sdcard, samsung s3, sd card