Ballistic Shell (SG) vs Otterbox Commuter vs UAG vs Element Eclipse [Final Review]

Otterbox Commuter, Ballistic Shell(SG) or UAG?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

lvoonjian8888

Aug 13, 2011
I have the commuter and it offers great protection, but I have just gotten sick of the bulk that the case gives. Feels like a brick in my pocket.

I saw the UAG and was wondering how much thinner than the commuter it is? Sounds like it still gives adequate protection, but just want something with a little less thickness than the commuter.

Yup,I recommend you to get an UAG as it offers good protection and thinner than Otterbox Commuter. You can either get it from Amazon.com or their website. :good:

Reactions: NoNameGuy_

1slow4G

Nov 19, 2012
South Tex
Honestly id recommend the Ballistic all day any day of the week. Ive had the uag and the sg and sg maxx. The sg maxx will outlast the uag hands down. All the 4 uag's i had cracked and with not even dropping it once. The comuter sucks cause of its slickness and the buttons are stiffer than any other case out there. So IMO bottom line hands down the ballistic takes the win. Just my 0.02 cents.

NoNameGuy_

Jun 26, 2012
Not to be too picky, but is it much thinner or just slightly, I've read other reviews that people say they barely notice the difference of thickness between the UAG and Otterbox. If that's the case then I would pass on it.

My number one choice for a case would be the Element Atom or Eclipse, but just too damn expensive.

Last edited:

lvoonjian8888

Aug 13, 2011
Honestly id recommend the Ballistic all day any day of the week. Ive had the uag and the sg and sg maxx. The sg maxx will outlast the uag hands down. All the 4 uag's i had cracked and with not even dropping it once. The comuter sucks cause of its slickness and the buttons are stiffer than any other case out there. So IMO bottom line hands down the ballistic takes the win. Just my 0.02 cents.

Ballistic SG does protect the phone very well but it is not so pocket friendly and it is bulkier than UAG. But if compare the price, Ballistic SG is much more cheaper than UAG..:silly:

lvoonjian8888

Aug 13, 2011
Not to be too picky, but is it much thinner or just slightly, I've read other reviews that people say they barely notice the difference of thickness between the UAG and Otterbox. If that's the case then I would pass on it.

My number one choice for a case would be the Element Atom or Eclipse, but just too damn expensive.

For my favourites case ranking:

1) UAG
2) Otterbox Commuter
3) Ballistic SG

Of course, this is my personal preferences. You may have your own but UAG is good to go as it's meet your requirement mentioned. :laugh:

pirellip

Mar 10, 2011
Toronto
Otter Box NOT useable

I bought an Otter Box Commuter, as I had one for my Captivate. After a weeks of sore thumbs/fingers from trying to press the keys, I gave up. They're just too tough to activate.

NoNameGuy_

Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for the feedback guys and a great review!

I decided to go with the UAG, $17 through ebay including shipping. not too shabby. Hopefully it feels better in the pocket than the Commuter.

*UPDATE May 16,2013*

Received my new UAG white yesterday and love it. Much sleeker than the Commuter and the buttons are much easier to press. Hope that helps anyone else...

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2013
Thanks for the post review !! and for the comments too.
I decided for the Uag - here in Brazil, it is the cheapest one, and for what I saw in some youtube reviews, its a good case.

sinpapa

Oct 31, 2011
Melbourne
Element Eclipse Case has served my S3 for a good few years now...Loved it, unfortunately Element only have a limited range and now nothing for Nexus 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After I had been used Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 for a year, I would like to make ultimate review of these 4 premium cases in the market. I just got my Element Eclipse case last week so I would like to add in to this thread. This thread was to provide useful information about S3 casing for those who still wish to buy Galaxy S3 this year 2013. I think that Galaxy S3 still a worth gadget to own especially the i9305 model which with LTE support and 2GB RAM because the price of S3 in my country already decreased to $400. Below was the final comparison of the 4 premium and protective cases in the market :

First : Ballistic Shell (SG) series case in black colour.
    fe9427c2.jpg

ec839e60.jpg

0d3f22b7.jpg
    0f9375da.jpg

Oh yeah, I would like to say that, Ballistic case was just a perfect case and it make you feel that your phone was wearing a bulletproof shirt. It protect the phone from every single drop EXCEPT angle drop. The cutting was just nice, every hole (microUSB, music jack, camera, flash, speaker, microphone) were fit perfectly. The power button was easy to press on. The only Cons for this case was it's not so pocket friendly due to the case had 4 big angle to protect the phone. :victory:

Second : Otterbox Commuter (Night Sky)

3d9a846c.jpg

608c1e34.jpg

3ce67a08.jpg

88f68782.jpg

37f617bb.jpg

What I can say was the case was awesome. The night sky colour was perfect combo with my Pebble blue SIII. The commuter offer the same protection level with Ballistic or maybe higher as the inner silicone was harder compare with Ballistic (but this had cause the power n volume button harder to press on) The cutting for commuter was as perfect as Ballistic. The back side was a bit slippery compare with Ballistic but It's make the case more pocket friendly just bsc of that. The case was a bit harder to put in and take it out as it was VEEERY TIGHT FIT n you can really feel that the phone locked in the case. The case also offer cover for microUSB and music jack to avoid dust. :laugh:

Third : UAG AERO

20130223_010052_zpscf4e722d.jpg

20130223_010104_zps4e449368.jpg

20130223_010113_zpsd8f79510.jpg

IMG_20130223_010450_zps759e315a.jpg

IMG_20130223_010518_zps1201d19c.jpg

IMG_20130223_010535_zps76e5b06c.jpg

IMG_20130223_010425_zpsdcb016ce.jpg

I had received my UAG Aero case 3 months ago and it was awesome case. This is one of the best case for Galaxy S3 with the unique & great design, moderate protection and moderate price(Amazon.com : $22++). The Aero case match with my Pebble Blue S3 perfectly. It was a modded case with 1 piece of hard silicone and 1 piece polycarbonate. The quality of the hard silicone was the best I ever seen in the S3 casing market. It was hard enough to protection your phone from drop. The case was much more thinner compare with Otterbox and Ballistic. Your phone will be tightly fits inside the casing. The matte finished on the back of the case was great but a little bit slippery. The volume and power button was very easy to press(same as Ballistic SG). The cutting was very nice and perfect fit with the audio jack, mic, microUSB, camera, flash and speaker. The 4 angles of the case give your phone a great protection while retain the beauty of the phone. (Ballistic SG had 4 big angles offer much more protection but bulky). You will feel better when you holding you S3 due to it's "square" shape design if compare with Commuter. Overall, the case was thin and very pocket friendly. It's just like a case that combine of all the Pro of the Commuter and Ballistic SG.

Fourth : ELEMENT ECLIPSE
    ec6_zps71d5c03f.jpg

ec4_zpsf9a9450b.jpg

ec7_zps2ac0fe15.jpg

ec2_zpsa658dc24.jpg

ec3_zps1e3c02d4.jpg

I just received my Element Eclipse case last month and what I would said was, this case was awesome. The design of this case was sleek and nice. The case was separate into 2 part, the aluminium bezel and the back carbon fiber. Your phone will be "clip" inside the case. The main selling point of this case was the SBS (Sound Boost System) which I can said was Awesome and it's work pretty well. But the downside of this case was the kickstand. It was very thin and easily to get broke but it's work well; just you have to be careful while using it. The case was slim and thinner compare with UAG and the other case. I would said the thinnest among 4 of these cases. The case was about $65 which you may able to buy 2 to 3 UAG or Otterbox case from the market for that price. For drop protection, I think this case may not handle it well as the aluminium bezel might break your screen glass when it drop to the floor.

Conclusion
    I giving 5 star for three of these premium cases as three cases also satisfy my needs. But I highly recommend to buy UAG as it's unique design and using good quality material to build the case. Just some small advices, for those wish to buy a case with Ultimate protection, easy-to-press buttons and with acceptable bulkiness; then grap a Ballistic SG. :D For those who plan to get a case with Ultimate protection with port's cover, acceptable bulkiness, and pocket friendly but the button is harder to press and the case was slippery, then you able recommend to go with the Otterbox Commuter. If you want to get a case with great design, offer great protection while able to retain the beauty of your phone, then grab a UAG case. Besides that, for those who got frustrated about the S3 audio issue when playing games and want your S3 to have a premium look + kickstand function while you are willing to pay for the price, then Element Eclipse will be your choice.

Below are the ebay links that I bought the cases from :
    Amazon.com UAG Case for S3
    Amazon.com Ballistic SG for S3
    Amazon.com Otterbox Commuter for S3
    Ebay.com Element Eclipse for S3

Please press the "Thank" button and RATE my thread if you feel this was help.
    Does anyone know if the Commuter will fit in the Siedio holster. I've been researching so long and read so much that I don't remember what's what anymore! Thanks.

I remember seeing this brought up earlier. Got buried down a ways. Here's the thread with pictures of the mating. Hope it helps.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1780383

Sent from a 3rd Galaxy in the middle of the Pacific.
    Does anyone know if the Commuter will fit in the Siedio holster. I've been researching so long and read so much that I don't remember what's what anymore! Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Bro, it should fit perfect with Siedio holster but why not you grab a Defender series so that everything is in perfect combo..^^ You can take out the temp glass of the defender series anytime if you feel tht it's too bulky..:cowboy:
    BTW, what's the quality of screen protector that comes with Commuter? I have also ordered SGP Ultra Nano Clear along with commuter. Which one would be better? Any experience in this regard?

Then I recommend you use the Nano clear as the free SP was bad in quality. It has oil smudge effect. :eek: I am using the SGP curved crystal. It's work perfect. :fingers-crossed:
    Ballistic sg maxx ftw

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using neighbors wifi :p