Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,291 Members 47,077 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S III and Car USB Stereo

Tip us?

MattMJB0188
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Question Galaxy S III and Car USB Stereo

Anyone know how to make songs play through USB on a car stereo? I had no problem doing this with my Galaxy S II, but I don't think the GSIII supports USB Mass Storage which would be the issue? Any suggestions?

bigriggy63
Old
Thanks Meter 4
It works; I connected my SGIII via USB to my Headunit; switched to AUX, and the files loaded up. I can only change and see the music selection through the headunit, however; where are your files located? Make sure that they are running from the Microsd Card, and NOT from the "MUSIC" folder in the Internal Memory. Hope that his helps!

Riggy

Michael_P
Old
Thanks Meter 99
It can work but you have to Root and install SGS3
easy UMS and switch to Mass Storage mode before you connect.

MattMJB0188
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriggy63 View Post
It works; I connected my SGIII via USB to my Headunit; switched to AUX, and the files loaded up. I can only change and see the music selection through the headunit, however; where are your files located? Make sure that they are running from the Microsd Card, and NOT from the "MUSIC" folder in the Internal Memory. Hope that his helps!

Riggy
Can you elaborate on this a little? I don't quite follow. I did read a method by installing an app from the play store but as the other guy said it requires root to enable usb mass storage. Was kind of hoping I didn't have to go that route.

Deusdies
Old
Thanks Meter 61

DONATE TO ME
I tried plugging in via USB on my new Hyundai ix35, but all I got was "Reading Error". I haven't tried the easy UMS on the car yet, but I'm not really hopeful, since it doesn't work with my windows computer.

bigriggy63
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdies View Post
I tried plugging in via USB on my new Hyundai ix35, but all I got was "Reading Error". I haven't tried the easy UMS on the car yet, but I'm not really hopeful, since it doesn't work with my windows computer.
I have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec; and what I did was connect the USB to the phone. On the phone, make sure that your music is on the MicroSDCARD (I labeled mine MUSIC) Hit the "AUX" button; the head unit will start to read your phone. It will load up all of the songs on the Microsd Card; all of the song titles and Individual Folders Show up just fine. I DID NOT HAVE TO ROOT to make this happen; the trick is to not save the music on the Internal Memory (labeled SD CARD), but to the MICROSD CARD (labeled Ext SD CARD) No Problems.....If I can answer any additional questions, let me know.

Cheers.

Riggy

DallasJones
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I'm happy to test this on an Alpine head unit before I move over to CM9, then test again on CM9. Work finishes in about 2 hours so it won't be until then though.
Current devices: Nexus 4 and 7
Non Android toys: Apple iPod Touch 64GB (never leaves my car) ASUS VX7 laptop and 2002 AUDM DC5 Integra Type R (My baby)

Previous devices: Too many to mention. A few HTCs, some Samsungs and a couple of ASUS tablets. Favourite was my Galaxy S3

Please consider a donation to the developers that make all of this possible. It's a small price to pay for the improvements they make to the expensive devices you use every day.

lhs2011
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Dallas did it work for you? Thanks

XooLoo
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Greatly helpful thread! Thanks! I do have an additional question though... I tried to hook up my GSIII to my Genesis using the USB cable to listen to online radio while driving... but that didn't work... Using an audio cable is OK but somehow the quality is not there (I tried increasing the volume of my GS III all the way and I still had to increase the volume on my stereo quite a bit before I could get decent sound). I came from an iPhone where I could connect using the proprietary USB and charge and listen to online radio at the same time... So I am hoping I can find the same thing for my GS III. Any help will be highly appreciated...

Summary: Is there a way to get audio out of the USB cable to my car while also charging my Galaxy S III?

fritzboyle
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by XooLoo View Post
Greatly helpful thread! Thanks! I do have an additional question though... I tried to hook up my GSIII to my Genesis using the USB cable to listen to online radio while driving... but that didn't work... Using an audio cable is OK but somehow the quality is not there (I tried increasing the volume of my GS III all the way and I still had to increase the volume on my stereo quite a bit before I could get decent sound). I came from an iPhone where I could connect using the proprietary USB and charge and listen to online radio at the same time... So I am hoping I can find the same thing for my GS III. Any help will be highly appreciated...

Summary: Is there a way to get audio out of the USB cable to my car while also charging my Galaxy S III?
I'm continuing to search for a way to listen to music via USB with my GS3 in my 2014 accord. I'm rooted running a 4.3 based touchwiz rom.

Has anyone found a solution?
Peace,
Fritz

current device: SCH-1535

other hacked devices: DroidX, ATV2, GTV (Revue)