Counterfeit Samsung Batteries?

OP tmagritte

24th September 2012, 06:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

249 posts
I recently purchased a couple of "Samsung" batteries from eBay:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....:eek:U:CA:3160

They came packaged only in thin plastic sleeves. These seemed to have a tighter fit than the one that came with the phone and the labels look different. The model number is different. I assume these are for the international version of the phone. So I could believe the difference in labels is due to this and maybe a difference in thickness of the label would account for the different fit. I don't have a second device to test if the NFC antenna works.

But what made me think these are counterfeit immediately was that on the front of the label both have identical serial numbers. Still, I wanted to hope maybe this could be legit and these serial numbers are not unique but are really lot numbers.

Just now, I scanned the QR codes on the same label.
The one on the original battery reads: GH43-03702A+EB-L1G6LLA
I'm not sure what most of the digits mean, but the last part, "EB-L1G6LLA" is the model number.
The batteries I got from eBay have a QR code that reads: 12345678

Another sign is that the + and - symbols don't appear to align perfectly to the contacts the way the original does. I read this is one of the signs of a counterfeit.

I've attached photos of the battery below. The original one is always on the far left.

Is my assessment correct? Is there any chance these are actually real?

They were only $10 a piece. It's possible, whatever they are they're perfectly adequate batteries. But the fact that they're being sold as counterfeits rather than 3rd party batteries makes me very wary about putting these in my phone. I don't trust counterfeiters to care much about quality control or even putting in functional charging circuitry.

I'd also be grateful for any advice on how to deal with this. Should I report to eBay and/or Paypal or maybe Canada Post (as these are supposedly shipped from Canada there may be Federal Postal Fraud laws that apply).

Finally, any good place to buy genuine Samsung batteries at a reasonable price?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06597.jpg
Views:	3001
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	1349801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06598.jpg
Views:	2407
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	1349802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06600.jpg
Views:	2054
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	1349803   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06605.jpg
Views:	1612
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	1349804  
24th September 2012, 06:50 AM   |  #2  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 276

580 posts
More
1st picture. Under the s/n number the "Fakes" have a date which i have never seen on OEM samsung batteries sold. 2nd picture the borders for the black box are not even straight, box size is wrong, and font is different. 3rd picture its missing the water mark thingy. Definitely fakes. I myself am like you. If they made counterfeits they wouldn't care about the quality of the battery so I would be hesitant on putting it in my phone.
24th September 2012, 03:48 PM   |  #3  
Flag Northern VA
Thanks Meter: 228

772 posts
More
I have one of these fakes as well. I bought it from an individual (not a store) on Ebay that claimed that it was a new OEM battery. I have been using the battery and it seems to work ok, although I have not been able to test the NFC capability yet.
24th September 2012, 04:09 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 277

796 posts
More
I've used "counterfeit" batteries in a couple of other phones I've owned. I only had a problem with one out of the four batteries, and that one wouldn't hold a charge for more than 5 hours on standby. Other than that battery, they've worked fine for me. I only paid around $5 for the junk battery, since it came in a two-pack for $10, which included a charger.

You get what you pay for. Verizon has official OEM batteries for sale for about $30 each. You probably won't find a legit battery for much less than that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
24th September 2012, 04:31 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 856

4,790 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlatjs17

1st picture. Under the s/n number the "Fakes" have a date which i have never seen on OEM samsung batteries sold. 2nd picture the borders for the black box are not even straight, box size is wrong, and font is different. 3rd picture its missing the water mark thingy. Definitely fakes. I myself am like you. If they made counterfeits they wouldn't care about the quality of the battery so I would be hesitant on putting it in my phone.

I think most of the information you have provided are incorrect, some batteries does have dates, others don't, and not all samsung batteries have the waterproof sticker.
the font and the uneven line will depends on the country of manufacture.

I've seen all these and had some, all straight out of the box from a unit from a local authorised store.
24th September 2012, 04:36 PM   |  #6  
Flag Northern VA
Thanks Meter: 228

772 posts
More
I do not have a problem with a battery that is not manufactured/endorsed by the manufacturer of my phone, as long as the batteries are represented that way. I have used 3rd party batteries in my Evo 4G and they completely met my expectations. I would not call those counterfeit batteries.

If a battery is being presented as an OEM Samsung battery I expect it do be exactly that. When I bought my battery I probably paid a few $ more than I would have for a 3rd party battery because I thought I was buying the real OEM battery. After I received the battery I suspected that he battery was not truly an OEM battery. I noticed the same things that the OP noted. I also had a feeling (not proven) that the battery life is not quite to the level of my original battery. I looked at the battery after seeing this post and mine is identical to the fakes in the OP (down to the date and the serial number).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0963.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1350994  
Last edited by m20120; 24th September 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Add photo
24th September 2012, 04:40 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 856

4,790 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m20120

I do not have a problem with a battery that is not manufactured/endorsed by the manufacturer of my phone, as long as the batteries are represented that way. I have used 3rd party batteries in my Evo 4G and they completely met my expectations. I would not call those counterfeit batteries.

If a battery is being presented as an OEM Samsung battery I expect it do be exactly that. When I bought my battery I probably paid a few $ more than I would have for a 3rd party battery because I thought I was buying the real OEM battery. After I received the battery I suspected that he battery was not truly an OEM battery. I noticed the same things that the OP noted. I also had a feeling (not proven) that the battery life is not quite to the level of my original battery. I looked at the battery after seeing this post and mine is identical to the fakes in the OP (down to the date and the serial number).

I do agree with what you say, but many people who buys batteries that not a OEM will just call it a fake, whether it's a fake or a third party one.

A fake battery and a third party brand battery are two different thing, third party batteries are not fakes.
26th September 2012, 08:39 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

249 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningdude

I've used "counterfeit" batteries in a couple of other phones I've owned. I only had a problem with one out of the four batteries, and that one wouldn't hold a charge for more than 5 hours on standby. Other than that battery, they've worked fine for me. I only paid around $5 for the junk battery, since it came in a two-pack for $10, which included a charger.

You get what you pay for. Verizon has official OEM batteries for sale for about $30 each. You probably won't find a legit battery for much less than that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Why do you put quotes around "counterfeit"? Are you talking about counterfeit or third party batteries? As others have noted correctly, third party batteries sold legitimately, under their own brand name (or without a brand name) that do not attempt to be passed off as OEM batteries are not fake or counterfeit. They're just third party batteries. Whether they are any good is largely a crap shoot. But at least their is no misrepresentation and you know what you are buying.

A third party battery with a wrapper attempting duplicate or resemble the OEM battery and sold as an OEM battery is a counterfeit.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the third party batteries are manufactured at the same plant and are of the same quality. But with the OEM you're getting an assurance of a minimal performance level from QA. With third party batteries of an unproven brand you don't really know. With counterfeit batteries, the seller has already shown that he has no ethical standard and so I'd suspect these are more likely to be defective/returned/poor quality products being resold for profit.

Was I naive to think I could get an OEM battery at this price? Probably. However, it's not outside the realm of plausibility. I don't believe for a minute that the real cost of an OEM battery is anywhere near $40 and I could believe that purchased in bulk or in other countries OEM batteries could be obtained at a much lower price. Even on Amazon I've seen OEM batteries for as little as $20 (but they won't ship to Canada). I'm more inclined to believe that the ones on Amazon are real.

In any case, I've started the process at eBay to get my money back. If they were just crap batteries I wouldn't care as they weren't very expensive, but being sold fakes just rubs me the wrong way...

I've learned my lesson though. No more batteries (and probably memory cards should be added to the list) from eBay. I'll just shell out the money and buy a real OEM locally.
15th June 2013, 01:40 AM   |  #9  
Flag ✌ EARTH ✌
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
Donate to Me
More
they ARE NOT THE SAME!!!! WARNING!
eb-l1g6llu vs eb-l1g6lla----- im going thru the same thing and this is what ive found out/learned,, the eb-l1g6llu is a crappy "replacement" sure it fits and chargers and powers up but the battery life is nowhere near what our original batteries give us,, in 43 minutes i was down to 70% left! see pic-- i also felt a difference in weight so i weighed them both and the eb-l1g6llu actually weighs less so im sure would be another reason for the sucky life,, im currently sending my eb-l1g6llu back to the seller for a full refund since they are horrible,, also you will notice that the eb-l1g6llu has chinese writing on it-see pic- hints another reason it sucks,, they are just cheaper batteries that are the same size but not same weight and the 2100mah written on it is a total lie, my original battery is the one on the left on both pics,, im currently messaging a different seller on ebay where ive explained all this,, he is selliing the EB-L1G6LLZ which comes in the verizon s3 but will work in all sg3's but he also mentioned that the EB-L1G6LLA is any "original battery" and its just different cause of the carrier,, but again the eb-l1g6llu is just a flat out fake cheap battery people are selling just to rip you off,, when i get the EB-L1G6LLZ from him if it works properly with "real" battery life like the ones that came with our s3's then ill come back and reply with his link so hopefully nobody else will get screwed over,, thanks for reading ,.,.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0001.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	2043588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0002.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	2043589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-06-14-15-18-31.jpg
Views:	695