Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,614 Members 44,038 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Otterbox DEFENDER review

Tip us?

OnceAMatrixMan
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by equlizer View Post
Popped my screen protector out too. Hated how ugly it made the screen
Ditto. Used goo gone to take off the glue

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
Samsung i-760 > Droid Incredible (rooted, ICS) > Samsung Galaxy SIII (SCH-I535 Verizon, rooted & unlocked)

sly-tendencies
Old
Thanks Meter 67
After running through 3 otterboxes for my iPhone, I left them and never look back. An amazing alternative if you don't mind the extra bulk is the Griffin Survivor. Same price as the Defender, the silicone won't stretch nearly as easy and the charge/battery covers won't come off as long as you don't try to rip them off. I can only assume that the same quality is withheld on the GS3 Survivor.

Stock ICS on my S3

willham
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I bought my otterbox off amazon will I still be able to get a warranty replacement? What did you tell them when they asked what was wrong with the case? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

JEFFSGTP
Old
(Last edited by JEFFSGTP; 3rd November 2012 at 06:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldz123 View Post
after less than two month of usage

usb cover torn off

rubberized casing is not conform to polycarbonate casing anymore
I had this issue too...my bottom edge wouldn't stay on at all the USB area was bubbled up like your's but worse and all the corners were coming loose like yours. The only thing I didn't have is I still have the USB port cover I've had mine since about 2wks after the S3 came out.

I ran across a video on youtube about a kid with an otterbox iphone case and he put the case into a pan of boiling water for 5min (minimum) then pulled it and let it cool and it had returned to its natural size.

i was skeptical,but figured it couldn't hurt to try it. I took it one step further. after i boiled the outer rubber case, i took it and put it directly into the freezer and left it in there for about 20min (till good and hard/froze). Took it back out, ran it under warm tap water till it was flexible again and put it back on. it's as tight now as it was the day I got it.

I don't think the boiling/(and or freezing) thing actually shrinks the rubber, I more think it realigns all the molecules and lets them return to their natural (unstretched) state. (that coming from what little I remember of college physics and Chemistry)

Either way can't hurt to try and at the least you get a very clean cover to put back on.

I guess I can't post links yet (too noobish...WHATEVER) search youtube for "Shrink Otterbox Silicone Case" it should be the first result.

I appoligize in advance for the guys lack of taste in music and his commentary sounding like he is 12.
The Following User Says Thank You to JEFFSGTP For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

d4c
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Awesome case, bad screen protector. Took mine off because it degraded screen quality. Besides the glass they use on an S3 is called gorilla glass 2 and if you Google it, it will show you how tough it really is and that a screen protector really isn't necessary.

Have noticed that the corners are starting to come away on case...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"
The Following User Says Thank You to d4c For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rault18
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c View Post
Awesome case, bad screen protector. Took mine off because it degraded screen quality. Besides the glass they use on an S3 is called gorilla glass 2 and if you Google it, it will show you how tough it really is and that a screen protector really isn't necessary.

Have noticed that the corners are starting to come away on case...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
What I normally use and saved my phone plenty of times is using a glass screen shield . I trust gorilla glass but dont trust it that much,..specially after personally seeing cracks and scratchs on other people's phones
If any of my reviews help you please click the thanks button!

Check my Galaxy s2, galaxy nexus, macbook,CES 2012 , gopro reviews :
http://www.youtube.com/rault18

alewis2k12
Old
Thanks Meter 270
The best case hands down...i popped out the screen protector that came with the case and put a zagg shield on my s3 and now everything is excellent....
Phone:HTC M8
Rom: Testing
Kernel: Faux

Previous Devices: Sprint S5,ATT Note 3,Htc One,Optimus LG Pro, Att Galaxy S4, Nexus 4,Iphone 5 black and white one lol, At&t Galaxy Note 2,International s3, At&t S3, At&t One X, At&t Galaxy Note, International Note, International S3, Iphone 4, At&t Skyrocket, Sprint S2, HTC Vivid, Galaxy Prevail

Sports lol: New Orleans SAINTS!!!!!!
WHO DAT NATION..

DONT FORGET THANKS BUTTON..

hiloram
Old
Thanks Meter 2
My case is coming apart at the bottom as well. Just signed up for the lifecase pre-order. I see them on iphones all the time and the screen saver looks pretty good.

rault18
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiloram View Post
My case is coming apart at the bottom as well. Just signed up for the lifecase pre-order. I see them on iphones all the time and the screen saver looks pretty good.
They r awesome .life proof is sick. Obed is the similar thing out there for the s3

Did u contact otter box for warranty?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
If any of my reviews help you please click the thanks button!

Check my Galaxy s2, galaxy nexus, macbook,CES 2012 , gopro reviews :
http://www.youtube.com/rault18

richb500
Old
Thanks Meter 17
My son just cracked his S3 screen while it was in his jacket pocket. He's not sure how/when it cracked, but the Otterbox Defender obviously didn't save it. I wouldn't waste my money on one.

Tags
defender galaxy s3, otterbox defender, otterbox galaxy s3, otterbox s3