Qi wireless charger

27th June 2014, 09:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 67

2,388 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a qi wireless charger because my charger port of the phone broke and it's too expensive to fix.

Anyways, yesterday I left it for 2 hours the % went from 49 to 90 which I was quite happy with but I let it charge over night and it only went from 34% to 50%.
I am rooted and on AOSP.

I check the wireless current and sometimes as soon as I put it on the pad it's 1000ma but then it keeps dropping quick to 100ma. The pad as an output of 1000ma.

Csn someone tell me how to fix the slow charge. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th June 2014, 09:43 AM   |  #2  
Flag California, USA
Thanks Meter: 500

2,378 posts
More
you're probalby not lining it up properly. that happens when you've misaligned the pad to the charger. find the sweet spot and just remember to place your phone there the same way.
if you're handy,you can probably also come up with a cradle of some sort so the phone falls right in place everytime.
27th June 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 39

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mputtr

you're probalby not lining it up properly. that happens when you've misaligned the pad to the charger. find the sweet spot and just remember to place your phone there the same way.
if you're handy,you can probably also come up with a cradle of some sort so the phone falls right in place everytime.

I placed mini rare earth magnets under the phone's back plate, just 2 on the top area, and then 2 on the Qi wireless charger so the phone aligns perfectly with the charger, and gets the best charge it can get.. Also I opened up all my Qi Chargers and used my Dremel to remove all the extra plastic, as much as I could to remove any kind of resistance or space between the Tx Coil and the Rx Coil.. I tested the best place they could be aligned with a Multi Meter, and then added magnets.. Works like a charm.. Its a pain in the ass, but mine works out pretty well. I didn't place the magnets on the inside, I placed them on the outside of the charger.. Works well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271329239542...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
thats what I purchased..
28th June 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #4  
Flag California, USA

2,378 posts
More
uh wow... that's seriously overkill but sure.. you can do that..
although i wonder if putting magnets that strong in your phone will mess with your gps and magnetometer.
i would say a small plastic cradle or creating little edges on the transmitter so the phone just physically falls in would be an easier and safer alternative that using a dremel on your receiver.
28th June 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 39

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mputtr

uh wow... that's seriously overkill but sure.. you can do that..
although i wonder if putting magnets that strong in your phone will mess with your gps and magnetometer.
i would say a small plastic cradle or creating little edges on the transmitter so the phone just physically falls in would be an easier and safer alternative that using a dremel on your receiver.

I would of thought the same thing, but it has given me zero problems when the magnets are set up top.. HOWEVER, when I tried to place 2 near the bottom, it caused all kinds of problems with USB charging and my phone locked up a few times... I'm glad the damage wasn't permanent.. I used my Hotglue gun to hold them into place, the magnetic field caused a short in the Gluegun and it EXPLODED in my hand.. I was lucky enough to drop it right when I heard the sizzle and BANG.. So when playing with strong magnets.. Be careful.

Edit: I also have an external case with the same type magnets, and even with the case on, it doesn't give me any issues, at least any I'm aware of.. I made a magnetic mount on my desktop pc, just for kicks.. But since the case is metal, I can't put a Qi charging coil on it.. Now that would be neat..
Last edited by Zaphodspeaks; 28th June 2014 at 01:23 AM.
28th June 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #6  
Flag California, USA

2,378 posts
More
yeah.. that's dangerous in general. I honestly would not recommend anyone to do what you did considering you almost ended up with stuff blowing up un your hands.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app
19th August 2014, 11:14 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

40 posts
The idea behind Qi is simple: all devices with the Qi logo will work with all Qi chargers. That’s it. No need for separate chargers, no need for cables, and no need for adapters when traveling. Qi is a global standard – this means that your device can be charged wirelessly wherever you are.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy S III Accessories by ThreadRank