Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more
View Poll Results: How helpful is this post?
Very helpful and detailed guide 11 100.00%
Not at all...who cares 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

[No Root Needed] Customise Your Own Apps to Work With MultiView on Android 4.1.2

OP l3ong91

30th January 2013, 04:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Singapore
Thanks Meter: 258

497 posts
More
Hi, it has been a while since I am active on XDA forum. This following method may have work for other S3/ Note variants since awhile back. But since the Android 4.1.2 has just released ( At least in my region) for Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE I9305, I have tested this and I can prove that it's working on this phone as well.

In case you don't know what is MultiView (Only available on Android 4.1.2 Updates),

Following is a relatively noob-proof tutorial to show you how you can mod almost any apps to work with multi-window without rooting your precious phone.

WHAT YOU NEED
- SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 running Android 4.1.2
- Windows PC
- Latest Java JRE ( Download here )
- Latest Java SDK ( Download here )
- Apk Multi Tool ( Download here )
- General keyboard typing skills

INSTRUCTIONS

SETTING UP THE APK MULTI-TOOL
1. Make sure you update your Java JRE and JDK first before we proceed with the rest of the steps below.
2. [OPTIONAL] You can get the apk file for your desired apps via third party market or you can backup all existing apps on your mobile using App Backup & Restore and it will automatically convert all apps to .apk format.
3. Create a new folder on your desktop, named it as " Apk" or whatever file name you like, and transfer the apks from your phone to that folder.
4. Create another new folder, named it as "apk manager".
5. Unzip APK Multi Tool into the root of "apk manager" folder.
6. For the first time only, go into apk manager> APK-Multi-Tool> Run setup.bat
7. Once it's running, type "3" and let it create the sub-directories and folders for you, then just press ANY key to continue.
8. When it's back to the main screen, type"00" to quit the cmd.exe screen.

DECOMPILE THE APK
1. Copy the apk that you would like to decompile from the "apk" folder you created earlier on desktop.
2. Paste it inside apk manager>APK-Multi-Tool>place-apk-here-for-modding folder
3. Next, run the script.bat.
4. Press any key to continue, follow by a screen full of different running numbers and description.
5. Type "9" and hit Enter to decompile the apk you placed at "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder.
6. Be patient, wait for the "test..." to finish and you will see the "test..." disappear and goes back to "Please make your decision..."
7. Minimize the cmd.exe for now, and go back to the "APK-Multi-Tool" folder. DO NOT EXIT THE SCRIPT.BAT
8. Go to "projects" and you will see the decompiled apk there.
9. That means you have successfully decompiled the apk. You should be able to see folders like "res", "smali" and files like " AndroidManifest.xml" and "apktool.yml".
10. For this tutorial we only need to edit the "AndroidManifest.xml". DO NOT TOUCH THE REST UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

EDITING THE ANDROIDMANIFEST.XML
1. Open the AndroidManifest.xml with Notepad and find the following text.
Code:
<intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter>
2. Add one more line to it so that it become
Code:
<intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
		<category android:name="android.intent.category.MULTIWINDOW_LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter>
3. Next, find the following lines near the bottom of the file.
Code:
</application>
4. Similarly, copy and paste the following codes before the line so that it appears as:
Code:
<uses-library required="false" name="com.sec.android.app.multiwindow" />
        <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.support.multiwindow" android:value="true" />
        <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.DEFAULT_SIZE_W" android:value="632.0dip" />
        <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.DEFAULT_SIZE_H" android:value="598.0dip" />
        <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.MINIMUM_SIZE_W" android:value="632.0dip" />
        <meta-data android:name="com.sec.android.multiwindow.MINIMUM_SIZE_H" android:value="598.0dip" />
</application>
5.Save and overwrite the existing file. Exit notepad.

COMPILE THE APK
1. Go back to script.bat on cmd.exe.
2. Type "12" for Non-system apk.
3. Wait for the compiling process until it prompts you for the input again.
4. Choose "1" as unsigned Apk and keep the original file. Wait for it to complete until a prompt appears to ask you to delete the file in the "keep" folder". DO NOT EXIT THE SCRIPT.BAT YET, MINIMIZE IT
5. Go to apk manager> APK-Multi-Tool>"keep" folder.
6. Remove AndroidManifest.xml and resources.arsc files.
7. Go back to script.bat on cmd.exe and hit Enter to let it re-compile again the apk.
8. When it's done it will revert back to the main screen of cmd.exe, type "13" to sign the apk.
9. Copy or push the apk file back to your phone to install.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
- Remember to uninstall the existing apps first before you reinstall the new signed copy of the apk.
- By doing this, your apps will not be detected by Google Play for updates and if you want the latest version, you will have to reinstall the new version and recompile the apk again in order to use this in the MultiView window.
- Although it is highly impossible, I take no responsibility in damaging/ bricking your phone should there be any problems happen to your phone.

EXTERNAL REFERENCES
In case there are any difficulties, you may look for the following guides:
Tech Freeks
XDA Forum> Verizon Galaxy Note II
Android Central Verizon Note II

Let me know if it works for you.
Last edited by l3ong91; 31st January 2013 at 05:31 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to l3ong91 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2013, 10:59 AM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 17

118 posts
Donate to Me
More
Re: [No Root Needed] Customise Your Own Apps to Work With MultiView on Android 4.1.2
oooh cool gonna test soon.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
17th February 2013, 11:23 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Singapore

497 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleepsake

oooh cool gonna test soon.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Hope to hear from you soon. However not all S3 i9305 are eligible for this method since some countries have not receive this 4.1.2 firmware update yet.

Cheers.
22nd February 2013, 06:43 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Works on XXBMA5
Followed OP instructions to the letter and I was able to start a modifed app and ran a 2nd multiview app.

Only thing is it looks like the modified app isn't recognised as an app that supports multi window mode, therefore can't be added to the multiview tray.

I suspect, for the moment at least, that means apps that are modified this way would not be able to run along side each other.
22nd February 2013, 12:20 PM   |  #5  
Flag Var
Thanks Meter: 34

110 posts
More
Works well for 8 of 10 apps I tried. 2 Others go on full screen when use it

Thanks for this job.. I used your thread to make one in french

TUTO - GT-I9305 - (non Root) Intégrer n'importe quelle appli dans MultiView

Note: your - Latest Java SDK ( Download here ) link is dead
Last edited by kanzi83; 22nd February 2013 at 12:28 PM.
22nd February 2013, 01:40 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Singapore

497 posts
More
Re: [No Root Needed] Customise Your Own Apps to Work With MultiView on Android 4.1.2
Not necessarily all apps cannot run alongside each other. Some apps are tested to be working though.

Well, if it ain't working for the split multi view, at least it is located beside the screen within a swipe. Hehe.

Sent from my GT-I9305
22nd February 2013, 01:42 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Singapore

497 posts
More
Sure no problem for me with the repost. Just hope to notify the i9305 users out there. Thanks for the effort.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9305
26th March 2013, 03:43 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
Will this method work for Note 2 running 4.1.2 non rooted?
26th March 2013, 05:54 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Singapore

497 posts
More
I can't promise you either, but theoretically it should work. You can try it out.

Sent from my GT-I9305
26th March 2013, 07:25 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ong91

I can't promise you either, but theoretically it should work. You can try it out.

Sent from my GT-I9305

Thanks. I just tried it out and it did work out for the non-system apps. I am going to have to just buckle down and root this thing already. I haven't really felt the need until now but it would be nice to do the Google now fix as well. This is such an easy fix you would think the app developers would take care of this for us.

Thanks for the instructions!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
i9305, multiview, no root required, s3 lte
Previous Thread Next Thread