5,593,248 Members 33,012 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WARNING! + GUIDE] Backup and Restore IMEI / NV Data Procedure for GT-I9305

Tip us?

lyriquidperfection
Old
(Last edited by lyriquidperfection; 19th January 2013 at 10:10 PM.)
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 2324

DONATE TO ME
Default [WARNING! + GUIDE] Backup and Restore IMEI / NV Data Procedure for GT-I9305

Quote:
WARNING! DO NOT FLASH YOUR DEVICE UNTIL YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOUR IMEI / NV DATA IN THIS GUIDE!

Click HERE for information on the long awaited and all new EFS Professional v2.0 including download! Now supporting Qualcomm devices!

Setting up QPST with your PC:
  • Dial *#7284# on your phone to access PhoneUtil and select 'Qualcomm USB Settings' at the bottom. Now select 'RNDIS + DM + MODEM' and press 'OK' to return to the previous screen. Now press your 'Back' key to exit PhoneUtil. Your phone is now in DIAG Mode.
  • Download and Install: SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1590.exe - 23.06 MB if you don't already have Kies or a USB Driver installed.
  • Download and Install: QPST v2.7.378.zip - 14.68 MB
  • Now connect your phone to the PC with a USB cable and wait for Drivers to install.
  • Start the 'QPST Configuration' application and select the 'Ports' tab then press the 'Add New Port...' button.
  • Select the COM Port that has 'USB/QC Diagnostic' next to it, change the Port Label if you like to 'Samsung GT-I9305' then press 'OK'.
  • You should now see your phone listed in the 'Ports' tab and the 'State' should indicate 'Enabled'.
  • You can now Close this application.

Backing Up IMEI / NV Data:
  • Start the 'Software Download' application and select the 'Backup' tab.
  • Press the 'Browse' button and choose a Save Location for your QCN File.
  • Press the 'Start' button and wait for it to finish. This will back up all your phones NV Items and save them to the QCN Backup File.
  • The resulting QCN Backup File should be 250KB.

Restoring IMEI / NV Data:
  • Start the 'Software Download' application and select the 'Restore' tab.
  • Press the 'Browse' button and select your QCN Backup File.
  • Press the 'Start' button and wait for it to finish. This will restore all your phones NV Items from the QCN Backup File.
  • Your IMEI / NV Data should now be fully restored. Dial *#06# on your phones keypad to check your IMEI is restored.

Restore USB Settings after Backup / Restore:
  • Dial *#7284# on your phone to access PhoneUtil and select 'Qualcomm USB Settings' at the bottom. Now select 'MTP + ADB' and press 'OK' to return to the previous screen. Now press your 'Back' key to exit PhoneUtil. Your phone is now back to default USB operation.
Quote:
If the 'Qualcomm USB Settings' Button is missing from the PhoneUtil application then execute the following command in a Terminal Emulator to launch the Qualcomm USB Settings page directly:

su -c 'am start -n com.sec.android.app.phoneutil/com.sec.android.app.phoneutil.USBSettings'

Please Note: You must be rooted or this command will not work.

Recovering IMEI And Data Connection After Flashing WRONG Root Package Intended For I9300:
  • Make sure you have Samsung Kies or the Samsung USB Driver installed on your PC.
  • Download and Extract: Odin3 3.04.zip - 457.11 KB to your PC if you don't already have it.
  • Download and Extract: Param_Bin_I9305.zip - 612.14 KB to your PC.
  • With your Phone Switched Off, press and hold: 'VOL DN' + 'HOME' + 'POWER' to enter Download Mode.
  • Connect your phone to your PC via USB Cable and start Odin.
  • Check your phone is connected by seeing if a COM Port in a Blue box is present under ID:COM.
  • Press the 'PDA' Button and select the 'Param_Bin_I9305.tar.md5' file you extracted from the Zip Archive earlier.
  • Press the 'Start' Button and wait for it to finish flashing. If successful, you will see a Green Box with 'PASS!'.
  • Wait for your phone to reboot then go to your Dialer and press: *#06#. You should now see your IMEI and your Data Connection will be back.

If I have saved your bacon then please buy me a coffee!
My Applications

EFS Professional v2.0.110 - For Samsung Android Devices

LG CSMG Tool v1.0.21 - For LG Mobile Server Queries and Firmware Checking

PIT Magic v1.3.10 - Samsung PIT Creator, Editor and Analyzer

Odin ROM Package Builder v1.3 - Complete Pre-Root and Repack Utilities for Linux

Samsung Quick Root v1.7.10 And HTC Quick Root v1.1.13 - All In One Root / Unroot Solutions
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like my hard work, please buy me a coffee and a pack of nappies for my little daughter!

The Following 168 Users Say Thank You to lyriquidperfection For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tauran
Old
Thanks Meter 6
well i guess this is what i'm going to be looking for.

So i have no IMEI on me device and I have no backup of the EFS.

Before I pm you:
1) do I need to have a rooted device to perform this? if so I can install your pre-rooted ROM.
2) when i go to *#7284# menu I see the following screen.
PhoneUtil

UART
[option(selected)] MODEM
[option] PDA
USB
[option] MODEM
[option(selected)] PDA
SAVE and RESET

so i have no "RNDIS + DM + MODEM" option, can this still work for me?

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to tauran For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bleepsake
Old
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
phew, was about to dive into flashing and then saw this thread. THANK YOU!

I am an iOS refugee. Totally new to android. I guess I'll wait for more developments to come out for my Quad core LTE S3.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

ah tauran you saw this thread first, good good. Was about to actually pm to let you know that this thread is for you!
Hope you get your device working.

Android Newbie. iOS Refugee.

Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305 4.2.2
Rom- CM10.1 - 20130305 - Unofficial 4.2.2
Kernel - 3.0.31 -CM-gcea4b18 codeworkx@cyanogenmod #1
Build - based on JZO54K.I9305XXBLL5
SD Card - Sandisk 64GB Class 10
Recovery - CWM v5.5.0.4
Battery - Anker 4400Mah "The Hulk Battery"

Testing - Cyanogenmod 10.1 for i9305

Click here for my YouTube Channel
The Following User Says Thank You to bleepsake For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lyriquidperfection
Old
Thanks Meter 2324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauran View Post
well i guess this is what i'm going to be looking for.

So i have no IMEI on me device and I have no backup of the EFS.

Before I pm you:
1) do I need to have a rooted device to perform this? if so I can install your pre-rooted ROM.
2) when i go to *#7284# menu I see the following screen.
PhoneUtil

UART
[option(selected)] MODEM
[option] PDA
USB
[option] MODEM
[option(selected)] PDA
SAVE and RESET

so i have no "RNDIS + DM + MODEM" option, can this still work for me?

thanks
There is a 'Qualcomm USB Settings' button at the bottom of the screen in PhoneUtil. Press that and you will be able to select "RNDIS + DM + MODEM".
My Applications

Odin ROM Package Builder v1.3 - Complete Pre-Root and Repack Utilities for Linux

Samsung Quick Root v1.7.10 And HTC Quick Root v1.1.13 - All In One Root / Unroot Solutions
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like my hard work, please buy me a coffee and a pack of nappies for my little daughter!

The Following User Says Thank You to lyriquidperfection For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tauran
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriquidperfection View Post
There is a 'Qualcomm USB Settings' button at the bottom of the screen in PhoneUtil. Press that and you will be able to select "RNDIS + DM + MODEM".
Nope, still dont have that option.

Tried with/without USB connected
with/without usb debugging
with without SIM card inserted

but all these methods still result in the screen i described above.
Do I need root?

else, i guess i'm well and truly screwed.
The Following User Says Thank You to tauran For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lyriquidperfection
Old
Thanks Meter 2324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauran View Post
Nope, still dont have that option.

Tried with/without USB connected
with/without usb debugging
with without SIM card inserted

but all these methods still result in the screen i described above.
Do I need root?

else, i guess i'm well and truly screwed.

No you don't need Root and just to confirm you do have the I9305 don't you?

I have the UK EE I9305 and when I dial *#7285# I have the 'Qualcomm USB Settings' Button at the bottom of the screen on PhoneUtil.
My Applications

The Following User Says Thank You to lyriquidperfection For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tauran
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriquidperfection View Post
No you don't need Root and just to confirm you do have the I9305 don't you?

I have the UK EE I9305 and when I dial *#7285# I have the 'Qualcomm USB Settings' Button at the bottom of the screen on PhoneUtil.
Yes, I also have UK EE i9305, purchased from t-mobile.

Would be interesting to see if the others who have lost their imei have also lost this option in the phoneutil menu. failing this, i really need to be able to reset the flash counter and have the status to "Normal" before i consider sending it back.

chippyuk
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Yeah! Would be interesting to know that as if the 'Qualcomm USB Settings' button is missing then the whole process is pointless unless there is another way of invoking 'DIS + DM + MODEM'

@lyriquidperfection, many thanks for this, have made a backup just in case!

lyriquidperfection
Old
Thanks Meter 2324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippyuk View Post
Yeah! Would be interesting to know that as if the 'Qualcomm USB Settings' button is missing then the whole process is pointless unless there is another way of invoking 'DIS + DM + MODEM'

@lyriquidperfection, many thanks for this, have made a backup just in case!
Don't worry there is a workaround, just need to do more testing before I release it. It is basically a set of commands originally for AOSP Roms which I modified specifically for the I9305 to manually Enable or Disable the Diag Mode. So this Backup and Restore method will work for everybody.
My Applications

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lyriquidperfection For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

btemtd
Old
Thanks Meter 993

DONATE TO ME
So all this time i had a useless efs backup . Omg

IPhone 3GS >> Iphone 4 >> Samsung GS3 I9300 >> Samsung GS3 I9305 LTE >> Samsung GS4 I9505 LTE

Spec daily run :
Galaxy S4
2gb Ram
LTE (4G)
Snapdragon 600
QuadBEAST @ 1998mhz x 4
Andreno 320

Best Quadrant Benchmark To-Date = 15,255k @ 2.16Ghz
Best Antutu = 31,385 @ 1998mhz

My Work:

-=PandoriaM=- Rom for SGS3 4G I9305

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trollyaa L8rrrrrrr

The Following User Says Thank You to btemtd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]