[KERNEL] [I9300] [Samsung JB] Boeffla-Kernel 5.3/6.0 (08-07-2014)
this is the thread about the well-known Boeffla-Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 international.
Never install it on CM or AOSP based roms!!!
- Kernel version 5.x are only for Samsung based Jelly Bean 4.3.x roms!!!
- Kernel version 6 is only for Samsung based Jelly Bean 4.4.x roms!!!
- Kernel versions 1-4 are only for Samsung based Jelly Bean 4.1.x roms!!! (no development anymore)
For the CM Boeffla-Kernel, please go HERE
If you have questions to settings, presets, others configuration and wanna share your configuration, head over to the unofficial Boeffla-Config App Config sharing thread:
First read the FAQ section on the Homepage
to learn about all possible kernel settings in the config app.
to learn about using the config app.
I will refuse to give support if you do any undervolting and experience freezes or hot reboots.
(you can also access them directly in Boeffla-Config V2 by pressing menu and selecting "change log...")
Change log for Android 4.3 kernels: KLICK HERE
* To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from here: DOWNLOAD
* Upstreamed to Linux 3.0.101 (www.kernel.org
* Based on Samsung source code GT-I9300_JB_Opensource_Update13
* Initramfs from xxugml2 kernel
* CPU "soft" overclocking to 1500 or 1600 MHz
* CPU undervolting interface
* GPU frequencies configurable (underclocking, overclocking up to 700 MHz)
* GPU voltages configurable (undervolting, overvolting)
* Configurable zRam (Turbo zRam with up to 4 devices)
* Configurable touch-to-wake
* Configurable touch boost frequency
* Configurable early suspend time (for screen off animations, 100ms default)
* Configurable LED for fading mode, speed and brightness
* Configurable charger rate for AC, USB and wireless (default increased to 1100 mA for ac charging)
* Charging logic supports ignore unstable power and remove safety margin
* Charge information display support via Boeffla-Config V2 app
* Boeffla-Sound engine V1.6.5 to unleash the power of the Galaxy S3 audio chip
* Additional governors: zzmoove 0.7d, pegasusqplus, smartassv2 and lulzactiveq
* Governor profiles for pegasusq, pegasusqplus and zzmoove for performance, battery saving etc.
* Additional schedulers: ROW, ZEN, BFQ (v6r2) and SIO
* Schedulers configurable separate for internal and external SD memory
* Hardcore speedmod sharpness fix implemented (default is off)
* Black crush fix for better balanced display
* SD card read ahead buffer configurable separate for internal and external SD memory (default increased to 256 kB)
* Ext4 File system tweaks (default to on, can be disabled)
* System Tweaks predefined supported (default is off, new Mattiadj tweak set included)
* WIFI Multicast filter for better battery life
* WIFI wakelock times reduction
* Proportional rate reduction for TCP
* TCP congestion changed from Cubic to Westwood
* Wifi mac address change support
* Dynamic fsync 1.2 implemented
* Timeout for external SD card changed to improve handling of crappy SD cards
* Custom boot animation support
* Swap supported (but not recommended, use zRam instead)
* init.d support (in /system/etc/init.d - set correct permissions!)
* exFat opensource (Samsung OSRC) instead of proprietory modules
* NTFS (read-only access only!) compiled as a module
* CIFS compiled as a module
* NFS compiled as a module
* XBox controller support as module
* exFat support switchable (switch it off if you do not need it)
* Battery monitor wakelocks reduced
* Kernel can root if required (create file "autoroot" on internal sd and reboot)
* Android logger can be disabled
* Kernel logger can be disabled
* Disabled various debug logs and traces
* Frandom compiled as a module (for mods like Crossbreeder)
* Triangle away supported
* Automatic EFS backup to external (priority) or internal SD Card (fallback) - now compatible with tools like kTool
* Kernel initialisation log file (with history of 3 log files)
* Exynos vulnerability and sudden dead issue fixed
* Emergency reset script automatically placed into /boeffla-kernel-data folder of your internal memory
* Compatibility to common standard apps (Voltage Control, SetCPU, System tuner etc.)
* EFS V1 modem supported (also on Android 4.3)
* Compiled with Google arm 4.7 toolchain
* Internal kernel busybox version 1.21.1
For all information and downloads (stable AND testing versions), visit the Boeffla-Kernel homepage:
Basically I created Boeffla-Kernel as there was no kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 around that had exactly the mix of functionalities that I wanted. I wanted to have full flexibility in undervolting and charge rates for instance, but did not like the sharpness and/or brightness tweaks many kernels have implemented as per default.
Hence, I began to create my own kernel after a while, adding all the features I like. This is the result of my work, which in the end I decided to share with you. I hope you like it as much as I do.
The objective of this kernel is to have a kernel for daily use. It does not aim for best battery life, or best smoothness or best benchmark scores. It aims more for a good mix of all, not sacrificing stability and functionality in the end.
And - most important: It aims to stay quite close to stock !!!
This said, I will definitely NEVER implement:
- dual boot (I do not need it)
- color "calibration" (I do not like it, but I like the crispy stock colours)
- real hard overclocking higher than 1600 MHz as this is outside of Exynos specs
- f2fs - it is known to cause various issues and compatibility problems
- anything that requires upstreaming of kernel parts to a higher kernel major version
So do not even ask for it. Everything else I am happy to check and decide.
To reiterate it again: This kernel is only for Samsung based Jelly Bean
(Android 4.1.x) firmwares. It is not designed to run on AOSP based roms!
Configuration of the kernel
To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from here: DOWNLOAD
If you like my work, feel free to donate: Donation-Link
You will receive a personal donation code which unlocks some nice comfort functions in Boeffla-Config V2 on top.
All sources can be found in my Github repository: http://github.com/andip71
Credits to developers
Of course, I had never been able to create all that by my own. So I want to give credits to the really good developers around, that have given me all the inspiration and from which I cherry picked lots of the implemented functionalities:
... I just hope I did not forget someone. If so, please let me know and I will add you of course.
Thanks to all of you for your great work !!!
*** As always - Flash on our own risk! ***
Make sure you flash the correct version depending on your firmware version!
I can and will not take any responsibility for bricked phones or lost data.
It is generally recommended to run a complete Nandroid backup in CWM recovery and safely store your personal data before you flash a new kernel.
Cheers and enjoy