Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,856 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][WIP] different voices in Google Maps Navigation , NO ROOT NEEDED !

Tip us?

DaveDH
Old
(Last edited by DaveDH; 10th September 2012 at 10:40 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Thumbs up [MOD][WIP] different voices in Google Maps Navigation , NO ROOT NEEDED !

I just figured out how to port different kinds of voices to Google maps navigation !
It is not the TTS part . But only for the Google Maps Navigation ! It is possible to port them from other navigation software to Android .

And most important :NO ROOT NEEDED !
It is my believe that this is possible on all Android devices wich run Google Maps Navigation . But since i only own an S3 , i only can confirm that it is working at the S3 for the moment .

*EDIT* I just tested this on my girlfriend's Galaxy Note , SHe has it Stock , and it worked . No hassel , just renamed the original file to : instruction-voices.org.zip , placed the modded one there two , fired up navigation and immediatley i heard the modded voice

Sadly for the moment , i just made one in Dutch wich you can get here

I've also made one with the voice of Snoop , but since that one isn't finished yet , i shall not post it yet .

It works like this :
Open the app navigation , so that the app makes the files on your sd-card .
When you navigate on your device to :
\mnt\sdcard\Android\data\com.google.Android.apps.m aps\testdata\voice\
You will find an map wich contains an voice-instructions.zip file . In that file lies the .ogg files wich contain the voices of the navigation part .
If you want to place your own voice . Open that voice-instruction.zip file listen to every .ogg file, change every file with an soundeditor program like audacity . When you are finished put al the files.in an .zip with the name voice-instruction .
Make an back up of the original voice-instruction.zip , and delete it from your folder . Place the modded on there and you are good to go !

I am not responsible for what happens (to you or others) on the road when you are listening to this or your own creation after following this !
Keep your eyes on the road ! gheghe

Also an other warning : i've encounterd some residu of the old voice even after replacing the modded voice for the original one ( thats how i got back to stock again ) to get rid of that i deleted the buffer and data in : settings/aplications/all /maps . But doing so it also deleted every route etc.
Someone gave me the tip to just delete the cache , but i did not come that far yet , so watch out when you follow this , you maby can lose some data ! Again , doing this is at your own risk !

I am looking forward to the future of the navigation voices ! May it be grow as big as TomTom !!

Have fun !

Dart Vader
For UK (metric system) : Download = to be placed in : storage/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.apps.maps/testdata/voice/en_GB.f4cac31d
For UK (imperial system) : Download = To be placed in : storage/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.apps.maps/testdata/voice/en_GB.i.a3ef9dbb
For US (metric system) : Download = to be placed in : storage/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.apps.maps/testdata/voice/en_US.f4cac31d
For US (imperial system) : Download = to be placed in : storage/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.apps.maps/testdata/voice/en_US.a3ef9dbb
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to DaveDH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ikdedinges
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Nice one!
Will try the Dutch version

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

treyy
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Nice dude. German would be awesome

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
Don't tell me the sky's the limit when I know there are footprints on the moon...

DaveDH
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Is there someone from America / US who can send me their voice-instruction.zip that lies in : \mnt\sdcard\Android\data\com.google.Android.apps.m aps\testdata\voice\ .

I would like to get this so i can start making the correct adjustments of the voices .

TIA

deanr1977
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Someone needs to get the ones from Tom Tom & port em here.... Snoop Dogg sounds good, also would like Mr T, Darth Vader, Cartman or Peter Griffin!!!! That could be fun :0)

Sent by the Xda PREMIUM app via my supa modded Samsung Galaxy S3!!!!
Device - HTC One X (Endeavoru)
Status - Rooted & Bootloader Unlocked
Custom Rom - ViperX 4.0.7 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087443
Recovery - Philz Touch 5.15.9 http://d-h.st/Hue
Android - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

Device -Motorola Xoom (Wingray)
Status - Rooted
Custom Rom - Cyanogen v10.0 (needs updating!)
Recovery- Cant remember?
Android - Jelly Bean

Currently awaiting my upgrade then its a Samsung S5 for me

DaveDH
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanr1977 View Post
Someone needs to get the ones from Tom Tom & port em here.... Snoop Dogg sounds good, also would like Mr T, Darth Vader, Cartman or Peter Griffin!!!! That could be fun :0)

Sent by the Xda PREMIUM app via my supa modded Samsung Galaxy S3!!!!
Thanks , but what i ment the .zip file of the android folder
That soi can listen how it sounds in English and make the right adjustments instead of guessing

deanr1977
Old
Thanks Meter 149
I live in the UK England not USA, dunno if i can help or not????

Sent by TapaTalk2 via my supa modded Samsung Galaxy S3!!!!
Device - HTC One X (Endeavoru)
Status - Rooted & Bootloader Unlocked
Custom Rom - ViperX 4.0.7 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087443
Recovery - Philz Touch 5.15.9 http://d-h.st/Hue
Android - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

Device -Motorola Xoom (Wingray)
Status - Rooted
Custom Rom - Cyanogen v10.0 (needs updating!)
Recovery- Cant remember?
Android - Jelly Bean

Currently awaiting my upgrade then its a Samsung S5 for me
The Following User Says Thank You to deanr1977 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DaveDH
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Thanks that would do the trick also ! If it is different form the ones in the states we shall here that soon enough , Do you have an voice you would prefer ? Since you provide the voice-instructions.zip file i need , i would think it is fair enough you'll get the first request

Thanks !

hero000
Old
Thanks Meter 140
awesome I will record my own voice rather listening to that stupid robotic voice
XDA is my permanent home now!!!

You can download My selective Nature wallpaper from here

donutkidd
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDH View Post
Is there someone from America / US who can send me their voice-instruction.zip that lies in : \mnt\sdcard\Android\data\com.google.Android.apps.m aps\testdata\voice\ .

I would like to get this so i can start making the correct adjustments of the voices .

TIA
Any updates on this? I would love to change up the voice

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium