FORUMS

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

Android M Preview Images – XDA TV

Android M preview images are available. That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he … more

View Poll Results: DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL HAVE 4.4 ON OUR DEVICES ?

YES

577 Vote(s)
44.35%
MAY BE

300 Vote(s)
23.06%
NO

424 Vote(s)
32.59%

4.4 for gs3 general discussion ( news & leaks & problems & expectations )

Thanks Meter: 1,322

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

According to Samsung, the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy S III mini are not capable of running KitKat smoothly as both have only 1GB of RAM, which has apparently not been enough to get KitKat working properly on either device. Here’s the official statement

Quote:

“In order to facilitate an effective upgrade on the Google platform, various hardware performances such as the memory (RAM, ROM, etc.), multi-tasking capabilities, and display must meet certain technical expectations. The Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions come equipped with 1GB RAM, which does not allow them to effectively support the platform upgrade. As a result of the Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions’ hardware limitation, they cannot effectively support the platform upgrade while continuing to provide the best consumer experience. Samsung has decided not to roll-out the KitKat upgrade to Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions, and the KitKat upgrade will be available to the Galaxy S3 LTE version as the device’s 2GB RAM is enough to support the platform upgrade.” – Samsung Mobile UK

This is as official as things can get, and Samsung’s statement confirms our fears of the amount of RAM being the issue. Now, before you say “but KitKat supports 512MB RAM devices and is running on a couple of new Samsung devices with 512MB of RAM already!”, KitKat runs fine with that amount of memory only on stock Android, which does not have any of the added features or bloat that Samsung (and other non-Nexus phones come with.) Also, the newer Samsung devices are running a lighter and newer version of TouchWiz that debuted on the Galaxy S5, which we’re guessing is something Samsung doesn’t want to bring to the Galaxy S III as it would affect sales of its newer devices (and not to mention those low-end devices don’t have all the features that you would find on flagship devices.)

In any case, it looks like Android 4.3 is the last update the Galaxy S III will get (and Android 4.2 on the S III mini), and the official statement should finally put the matter to rest. The Galaxy S III had a good run, going from Android 4.0 to Android 4.3 since launch, but it looks like Samsung won’t be extending any further update love to one of its best-selling smartphones.

I AM REALLY PROUD TO PRESENT TO YOU MY FIRST EVER THEME APP ITS SUPPORT NOVA AND APEX LAUNCHER

THE THEME THREAD CLICK HERE

SCREEN SHOTS

FEEL FREE TO CONNECT WITH ME ON FACEBOOK ( the one and only official one ) MOSTAFA MOHAMED

FEEL FREE TO CONNECT WITH ME ON TWITTER ( the one and only official one ) MOSTAFA MOHAMED
Last edited by Awesome Developer; 21st February 2015 at 10:42 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Awesome Developer For This Useful Post: [ View ]

15th February 2014, 07:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I'm betting we won't have it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daanismyname For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th February 2014, 07:22 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
I definitely think it will happen, but you never know until it happens. I don't know why you "dream" about it, is it nice to have the newer Android officially from Samsung, yes, but is it that much better than 4.3, no. Don't get me wrong though, I would love to see it coming to my S3, but when it doesn't, no biggie!
16th February 2014, 06:02 AM |#4  
Flag Tbilisi
Thanks Meter: 251

More
4.1.2 is faster and smoother than 4.3,that's why I would like to have a change. I can't stay with 4.3 for long.
I'm sure that samsung will release it. 3.5 months are left before Galaxy S3 will get 2 years old and that's a pretty big number. It's not possible that Samsung will keep us empty all this months.
The Following User Says Thank You to AssassinGEO For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2014, 01:30 AM |#5  
Flag shah alam
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinGEO

4.1.2 is faster and smoother than 4.3,that's why I would like to have a change. I can't stay with 4.3 for long.
I'm sure that samsung will release it. 3.5 months are left before Galaxy S3 will get 2 years old and that's a pretty big number. It's not possible that Samsung will keep us empty all this months.

I dont think we will get official 4.4 and do agree when android version increase it becomes more laggy

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
17th February 2014, 06:44 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up
With problems Samsung had in releasing 4.3, it should be sometime before they release 4.4.X.... But when it comes I think it should be very good since KK is optimized for 512MB rams..
17th February 2014, 07:21 AM |#7  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 111

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nainaabd

I dont think we will get official 4.4 and do agree when android version increase it becomes more laggy

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Be more optimistic man, did samsung disappoint you so far? I think we'll get KK.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicolae-Daniel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2014, 12:51 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 96

More
I think samsung will release kk today

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parabels For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2014, 01:18 PM |#9  
Flag Tbilisi
Thanks Meter: 251

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabels

Yup , let's wait ^_^
The Following User Says Thank You to AssassinGEO For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2014, 01:37 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,322

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabels

really
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Awesome Developer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread