4.4 for gs3 general discussion ( news & leaks & problems & expectations )

DO YOU THINK THAT WE WILL HAVE 4.4 ON OUR DEVICES ?

• YES

Votes: 576 44.1%
  • MAY BE

Votes: 301 23.1%
  • NO

Votes: 428 32.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Moster2

Apr 20, 2012
Here, in Argentina i9300 stuck in Jelly Bean 4.3. (Official update OTA provided by Movistar phone company and manual with Odin in Sammobile) what i don't like about this, is that Samsung present the J1 with 4.4 kitkat, but the phone has 512mb RAM. Samsung give the excuse that is not going to update i9300 because it has 1gb RAM.

Gracias Rey David!!

Those low ram devices have a light version of touchwiz running. Samsung cant port this to the s3, since it would mean a "downgrade" of the device in terms of features, etc. Customers usually dont want that

popoyaya

Oct 23, 2010
London
I've been out of the loop here for a while, and I was wondering what the current situation is on porting lollipop to the S3? Are we just waiting for another device similar to the S3 to get it?

leomaxi

Apr 20, 2009
with Samsung Galaxy S6 to drop all TouchWiz bloatware and from samsun apps download separately, in this case S3 can operate

Sakab

Feb 25, 2007
Hey, can you recommend some 4.3 or 4.4 custom ROM's offer as the i9300 my device? I do not want to play, the most possible faster. What use my time on the Internet, music, facebook, etc. standard applications.
Now I put the Sensation 10, but useless. Very slow.
What ROM you offer, what kind of kernel?

shivadow

Jan 26, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Hey, can you recommend some 4.3 or 4.4 custom ROM's offer as the i9300 my device? I do not want to play, the most possible faster. What use my time on the Internet, music, facebook, etc. standard applications.
Now I put the Sensation 10, but useless. Very slow.
What ROM you offer, what kind of kernel?

Honestly, rooted stock roms are best. Just customise the stock rom to your liking.

Sent from a stolen phone!

micovwar

May 28, 2015
How do the "custom rom" installed sizes compare to a stock UK jellybean rom like mine (around 4.5gb) i want to move on to a slim (stable) Dark themed Kit Kat rom with good battery AND LESS BLOAT..Can anyone please advise?

thanks.

akwadlkw

Jan 15, 2014
4.4 actually better than 4.3, is smother and faster.
but the official stock 4.4 is not going to happened, the best was using the paranoid. had anyone try it ?

shivadow

Jan 26, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Custom roms are usually around 80-90% smaller than stock because they lack bloatware.

If your device doesn't natively support the version of Android it is not really the best idea to use said version. Porting uses custom code and custom kernels which are slowly being blacklisted by the major players in the app and game industry.

All those games that used to work but now dont.. Go back to a stock kernel and rom and they work again.

Sent from a stolen phone!

l8erz

Sep 20, 2012
It's in there. Best interest they sell devices not softwate. If they keep updating older devices a lot of consumers would simply update and not buy a new device.

hinuk

Mar 5, 2011
It's in there. Best interest they sell devices not softwate. If they keep updating older devices a lot of consumers would simply update and not buy a new device.
But unlike galaxy s2 gt-i9100 what was working fine on 4.1 so it didn't matter too much when Samsung stopped there.
But with galaxy s3's case it was left in 4.3 and at least touchwiz 4.3 (on s3) was more like RTM vista on p3 500mhz with 256-512mb experience rather than what it used to be in 4.1
One could thing that IF 4.4 ported from note 2 was much better experience than 4.3 ever could hope to be, then what official 4.4 could have been.

Lähetetty minun SM-G900F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

possossod

May 28, 2013

With that in mind the next time I'm buying a new phone for me or to gift I'll make sure it's not a samsung.

It's quite stupid to stop updating a device that you can go out to a local shop and still buy a new one.

The only upside is the development community

Stfn990

Sep 25, 2015
With that in mind the next time I'm buying a new phone for me or to gift I'll make sure it's not a samsung.

It's quite stupid to stop updating a device that you can go out to a local shop and still buy a new one.

The only upside is the development community

I would say anyone does that, not only samsung. And, as you mentioned, the good thing about Samsung is that there is a very big development community for S3. If you'd have a phone from a smaller producer, most probably you'll not have official updates oor unofficial ones.

shivadow

Jan 26, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
The original Galaxy Tab S is being flashed with kitkat 4.4 and it only has 512mb and a single core CPU, so the S3 should run it.

I dont know how well it runs it, if somebody wants to search it out.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s-i9000

John.

Unofficial 4.4. It's cyanogenmod. If you run 4.4 on the s3 it bogs down after a few hours and runs like a bag of spanners.. I imagine it to be the same on any samsung with a gig or less of ram.

I personally only know of samsung updating devices with 1.5 gb or more ram or 1 gb on devices with newer processors but those are low end devices.

Another reason is samsung flagships must be made obsolete so that newer ones may be promoted with minimal internal competition.

Take ferrari for example. They have faster more powerful cars that are GT cars but yet they pile the advertising money into the track ready flagship supercars because that's where the real money comes from that keeps the brand competitive.

Plain and simple. It's business.

I wish I stole my HTC M9.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you seriously think these "developers" have engineering degrees or something? They're just dudes that have an S3 and have a passion for meddling with things and are bored. It's just a hobby. They'd do the same if they had another device.

The real deal is behind CM/Omni (and not even that) and others "distributions". The vast majority of roms you see in these forums are just the product of a bored dude with lots of free time. Not a developer.

So no, I would include this as a parameter for anything.

And no, it's not getting bigger and bigger... each day it passes, we see less and less roms. Even for stock.

Wow, I have no engineering degree, hell I never even had the opportunity to study after school due to financial reasons, yet here I am developing Desktop and Mobile software for a living. Does that mean that my products are sub-standard? Let's also take a look at @temasek, this guy has a day job, a family and yet he produces one of the most stable roms for the S3. He pushes the limits and have been responsible for quite a few of the fixes found on these forums, simply by being an active participant in his rom thread. Others have trawled through the threads and submitted bug reports, we have received fixes from developers (notably the camera, audio issues and after battery call drain fixes) due to these hobbyist developers. @JustArchi has two seperate roms, a TouchWiz modified rom and an AOSP rom built from source. We have custom kernels for the device built by developers who don't get paid to develop the kernels by Google or the Linux Foundation.

Seeing less roms does not mean we are not getting bigger and better, notice how the guys team up and instead of producing different roms, they release a combined rom which encompasses fixes and ideas from these developers which is 99% better than the seperate roms. Go have a look at the kernels, you have different releases by different devs, yet in their credits they thank each other. Everyone working together for the common good and each release is better than the one before.

What you are highlighting in your very 1st paragraph is what xda was built on. A bunch of dudes messing with xda phones, no source, just the Windows Mobile rom dumps repackaging and improving on the original. I wasn't there right at the start, but back then it was much harder to produce a custom rom, but we all chipped in and gave it our best shot. There is nothing wrong with giving it a passionate try and contributing to the community, even if you are just bored and feel the rom you are currently missing only needs to have a coloured battery icon and release it to the public. Which was one of the 1st things being done to 4.4, changing the silly icon to something we all felt were better than the original.

Whether Kanger, Modder or Hardcore Developer, each has it's place here on xda and each contribution has added to changing the face of mobile computing. Many of the mainstream mobile features had a start here, due to either a modder or a developer, then adopted by the big guns like Google, Samsung and Microsoft. Koush himself is one of the most prominent examples of this, fiddling with Windows Mobile apps back in the day then bringing his own ideas into AOSP, pulling in the best of the best and building Cyanogen into what it is today. Just about every AOSP rom out there borrows from idea's which were introduced into Cyanogen Mod. Proof that a hobby can become something much more.
    Samsung Poland's list fake!!!

Samsung Poland's list of dumping Galaxy S3, particularly the international version, from the list of devices that are to be updated to android 4.4.2 was a fake list. Do you believe that Samsung will say that it will not upgrade Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 to Android 4.4.2 because it has only 1GB RAM while trying to upgrade Galaxy Grand? Do you think that Samsung will say Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is too old to upgrade while trying to upgrade Galaxy S3 GT-I9305? No, not at all. Samsung is not a fool to make all these foolish excuses. This raise suspicion on the authenticity of the information which we receive on the internet and urge me to search further. It all started with the Polish blogger Robert Nawrowski - the person who first posted the news on his website http://www.robertnawrowski.com and soon after that all other websites and blogs did the copy paste job including the highly esteemed http://www.sammobile.com here: http://www.sammobile.com/2014/02/20...multiple-devices-confirmed-by-samsung-poland/ And the news spread like wild fire. Soon after that he remove the source from which he got the information i.e. a YouTube video. Since he is from Poland someone may have the opinion that he contacted Samsung Poland. But I don't think so. I don't think Samsung will announce its plans to a blogger. If I say I contacted Samsung India and they told me that they will release the upgrade for Indian devices, will you believe me just because I am from India? No way. You will obviously ask for the proof. Then why did you just believe it this time without asking for the proof. Everthing needs a proof to verify its correctness. Bloggers and website owners did all sorts of stuff to popularise their blogs and websites. Till now nobody in this forum, if I have not mistaken, ever try to know if its announce officially or not. Some people have already started cursing Samsung without knowing if it's true or not. It's merely based on a YouTube video (may be video of him telling this fake news, who knows) which he remove later out of fear for spreading false information, I think. If Samsung Poland really posted the news on YouTube, you can also expect to see the same on their website or on some reputed news websites but there is none. Check out his bogus article here (use Google Translate): || http://www.robertnawrowski.com/blog...nga-ktore-dostana-aktualizacje-do-4-4-kitkat/
    So, let's be patient and wait. I believe it will come. Samsung cannot say that they won't upgrade because Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 has only 1GB RAM because they plan to upgrade Galaxy Grand which has 1GB RAM plus Google has already said that Kitkat is optimised for 512 RAM devices. Nor can they say that it is because it is almost 2 years old when they plan to upgrade Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 which is as old as Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Come on. Use some logic as the sad news we heard before from Samsung Poland is fake. All that remains is the news thst says that Galaxy S3 wil be upgraded to android 4.4.2. There is no Galaxy S3 variant that Samsung can leave behind. If it upgrades one it has to upgrade the others too. More over, Samsung Galaxy S3 was not in the list of devices that will no longer be upgraded by Samsung and will end its life with android 4.3 as published by Samsung last year. Cheer up guys. Samsung has no excuses to make in stopping our device from being upgraded to Kitkat. I know that Samsung can stop the upgrade without giving any reason at all and that if it gives any reason for doing so, it will give a very valid reason not like the absurb reasons that that website quoted as given by Samsung officials. And I don't think Samsung will be that bad and arrogant in this competitive smartphone market to just abandon its not only flagship but most popular and one of its highest selling android phone in the world. Please don't start shouting at me for Galaxy S3 GT-I9300's sake. I am not going to argue with anyone. Believe if you want and don't create arguments if you think what I say is false. I am just posting what I found and believe. Thanks.
    can we ban blackcat67?

kthxbye
    This thread has become a dejavu, I see the same inane posts over and over again.

I'd honestly suggest not posting unless you actually have something new to add. Lately thread's been all cluttered with the same replies going on about nothing;

S3 will get kitkat update -> But it's not i9300 -> But the US version/S4/Note X got the update! -> But they have more ram -> But they don't, ram is not an excuse -> I WON'T BUY ANY SAMSUNG DEVICE -> Oh I actually will since all manufacturers do the same -> HEY GUYS this source from another source from a week back says it won't get an update -> But this another source says it will! -> endless loop and still nothing relevant from samsung.

According to Samsung, the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy S III mini are not capable of running KitKat smoothly as both have only 1GB of RAM, which has apparently not been enough to get KitKat working properly on either device. Here’s the official statement

“In order to facilitate an effective upgrade on the Google platform, various hardware performances such as the memory (RAM, ROM, etc.), multi-tasking capabilities, and display must meet certain technical expectations. The Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions come equipped with 1GB RAM, which does not allow them to effectively support the platform upgrade. As a result of the Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions’ hardware limitation, they cannot effectively support the platform upgrade while continuing to provide the best consumer experience. Samsung has decided not to roll-out the KitKat upgrade to Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions, and the KitKat upgrade will be available to the Galaxy S3 LTE version as the device’s 2GB RAM is enough to support the platform upgrade.” – Samsung Mobile UK

This is as official as things can get, and Samsung’s statement confirms our fears of the amount of RAM being the issue. Now, before you say “but KitKat supports 512MB RAM devices and is running on a couple of new Samsung devices with 512MB of RAM already!”, KitKat runs fine with that amount of memory only on stock Android, which does not have any of the added features or bloat that Samsung (and other non-Nexus phones come with.) Also, the newer Samsung devices are running a lighter and newer version of TouchWiz that debuted on the Galaxy S5, which we’re guessing is something Samsung doesn’t want to bring to the Galaxy S III as it would affect sales of its newer devices (and not to mention those low-end devices don’t have all the features that you would find on flagship devices.)

In any case, it looks like Android 4.3 is the last update the Galaxy S III will get (and Android 4.2 on the S III mini), and the official statement should finally put the matter to rest. The Galaxy S III had a good run, going from Android 4.0 to Android 4.3 since launch, but it looks like Samsung won’t be extending any further update love to one of its best-selling smartphones.

I AM REALLY PROUD TO PRESENT TO YOU MY FIRST EVER THEME APP ITS SUPPORT NOVA AND APEX LAUNCHER

THE THEME THREAD CLICK HERE

SCREEN SHOTS :)

FEEL FREE TO CONNECT WITH ME ON FACEBOOK ( the one and only official one ) MOSTAFA MOHAMED

FEEL FREE TO CONNECT WITH ME ON TWITTER ( the one and only official one ) MOSTAFA MOHAMED