Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,486 Members 42,243 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: What's your next phone?
Samsung Galaxy S III 145 75.52%
Galaxy Nexus LTE (Launching April 22) 8 4.17%
Galaxy Note (Rumored to lunch on Sprint) 13 6.77%
HTC EVO 4g LTE (Upcoming pre-sale) 15 7.81%
I'm leaving sprint... 11 5.73%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

[BREAKING] Samsung Galaxy S III to be Announced... May 3rd

Tip us?

ky0nkyon
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becoming View Post
That was sort of my point. Your perception that it's cutting edge is at least as relevant, if not more so, than the actual performance when discussing theoretical hardware.

Being this is xda, I understand what you are saying, but realistically under actual use there is nothing in those benchmarks to indicate some sort of outdated cripple of a phone.

It's all conjecture at this point anyway, but how fast do you need to run netflix and angry birds to feel satisfied with a phone?
I understand your point that after a certain point, there is no relevance to more performance. Sure in the broad scheme of things, the general population will be happy with it. I don't believe xda members are representative of the general population though. i am in no way saying that it's a cripple, just would rather see an upgraded internal to justify a purchase, especially since it hasn't been long since i got my e4gt. I'm sure the s3 will be great in it's own right and very fast. You're right though, you can't play Netflix any faster than it already plays. I'm sure ics will make things smoother as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Pheno.menon
Old
Thanks Meter 189
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04...xy-smartphone/

Anyone else disappointed? I was really hoping for dual-core A15.. guess I'll be waiting for the Nexus.

MultiLockOn
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheno.menon View Post

Anyone else disappointed? I was really hoping for dual-core A15.. guess I'll be waiting for the Nexus.
Came here to post the exact same thing. Ill still get it, but... Its kinda a let down. Not the powerhouse I was hoping for

general_z
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0nkyon View Post
I understand your point that after a certain point, there is no relevance to more performance. Sure in the broad scheme of things, the general population will be happy with it. I don't believe xda members are representative of the general population though. i am in no way saying that it's a cripple, just would rather see an upgraded internal to justify a purchase, especially since it hasn't been long since i got my e4gt. I'm sure the s3 will be great in it's own right and very fast. You're right though, you can't play Netflix any faster than it already plays. I'm sure ics will make things smoother as well.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
With that logic we should never buy a phone again since netflix still will be slow and everything is always great.
AM T. Hansen / general-z
DO Art Direction, Marketing and Graphic Design
ABUSE i9505 + N7
---------------------------------
Design | Resor | Dogs

bala_gamer
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6534

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheno.menon View Post

quad core @ 32 nm (aka 4412 quad) should do better than dual core a15. So far we have seen only few benchmarks of s15 which is compared with current lineups of quad cores @ 45 nm. A new design of quad core chip will always be better. Just read a few hours back about the leaked antutu score chart and the i9300 tops it beating transformer prime.

and also havent read anything special in battery life form htc one s which uses those krait cores
DEVICE : 9505 ARCTIC BLUE || MODEM : NC6 || PRIMARY : SOKP || KERNEL : KTOONSEZ || DPI : 320 || LAUNCHER : BUZZ || APPS : 200+ || BATTERY BACKUP : ~~~
|| temp fix for screen smearing in s4 || SenseWiz Theme || multi dpi apps || S3 CPU/GPU overclocking guide || New to Android/s3? Read the FAQ here ||

Oldies : Galaxy S3,S2,SL|| Nokia X6,5230,N73

katamari201
Old
Thanks Meter 143
You know the crazy thing is how Apple-esque the security is. I don't really care if Samsung copies Apple or not, but it is getting a bit ridiculous for a major player like Samsung to rip everything out of the Apple playbook. Now they are running attack ads calling Apple users sheep, but have no qualms about shadowing everything Apple does. All the lawsuits over the Galaxy design and the Touchwiz interface are frivolous, but it's more than abundantly clear how much Samsung likes to copy. What next? I'm predicting they will do what HTC has done with the One series: sealed battery and no memory expansion, JUST like Apple. So what are the followers of sheep called? The sheep of sheep? Sheep in denial?

This secrecy is kind of annoying since I devour the slow drizzle of leaks and speculation. The Galaxy S II was announced months before release and a ton of videos and pictures and testing was peppered onto the internet the following months. I'm itching to know how the GS3 will look like and will they finally break that cheap plastic build and flimsy chrome accents. I'm not expecting any big breakthroughs in the processor/screen/camera department, although the camera might interest me as well. But there ain't a wink of a picture of video taken from it, anything credible anyway.

And yes I am a Galaxy S II owner, T-mobile variant, with the annoying and very visible lines and streaks. That's the one thing I hope they fix with the Hd amoled screens. The RGB kind that is.

MultiLockOn
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
You know the crazy thing is how Apple-esque the security is. I don't really care if Samsung copies Apple or not, but it is getting a bit ridiculous for a major player like Samsung to rip everything out of the Apple playbook. Now they are running attack ads calling Apple users sheep, but have no qualms about shadowing everything Apple does. All the lawsuits over the Galaxy design and the Touchwiz interface are frivolous, but it's more than abundantly clear how much Samsung likes to copy. What next? I'm predicting they will do what HTC has done with the One series: sealed battery and no memory expansion, JUST like Apple. So what are the followers of sheep called? The sheep of sheep? Sheep in denial?

This secrecy is kind of annoying since I devour the slow drizzle of leaks and speculation. The Galaxy S II was announced months before release and a ton of videos and pictures and testing was peppered onto the internet the following months. I'm itching to know how the GS3 will look like and will they finally break that cheap plastic build and flimsy chrome accents. I'm not expecting any big breakthroughs in the processor/screen/camera department, although the camera might interest me as well. But there ain't a wink of a picture of video taken from it, anything credible anyway.

And yes I am a Galaxy S II owner, T-mobile variant, with the annoying and very visible lines and streaks. That's the one thing I hope they fix with the Hd amoled screens. The RGB kind that is.
Uhhh, what exactly has Samsung copied again

hooligan007
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiLockOn View Post
Uhhh, what exactly has Samsung copied again
Hmm according to apple a rectangular shaped device...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

irish-sid
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan007 View Post
Hmm according to apple a rectangular shaped device...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
Nothing original to say?